Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little bit affected by beer and fire water now, but I watched the video and my impression is that we will see some of this in the coming consoles. This has been my take on it when I first read the wired article with Mark Cerny on the SSD back in april. Am I wrong?

What Cerny said can be anything really, it could be radeon SSG tech, it could not be. What is 100% sure is that it won't be Radeon SSG in its fullest, but maybe, with abit of luck, some heavily scaled down version of that, like i said, if anything. That tech demo running on that GPU card was something like 250 billion polygons etc, nothing a games console needs. With MS basically announcing NVME, i still think there will be a PCIE4 or even 5 solution, with their own software layers etc.

Yes. I understood that it was a bit extreme in that video, but we can hope we will see the beginning of this tech. Everything has to start somewhere even in its basic form:D.

Yes. I understood that it was a bit extreme in that video, but we can hope we will see the beginning of this tech. Everything has to start somewhere even in its basic form:D.

The title of this video also says 'In Theory', and abit of hype from DF added to that. Honestly i think the chances of this SSG tech in consoles is pretty slim. It is a interesting video none the less anyway.

I am a little bit affected by beer and fire water now, but I watched the video and my impression is that we will see some of this in the coming consoles. This has been my take on it when I first read the wired article with Mark Cerny on the SSD back in april. Am I wrong?

To be inebriated by beer and firewater? Absolutely not, good sir. Tis the season! Cheers!

*clinks Peroni bottle against phone screen*

Damn that's some promising tech from AMD, guess we will see such things coming in the future. One could get and buy it now but 7000 dollars seems abit expensive :)

When you think about it, this is actually old tech; paging data from RAM to slower storage is a technology that been around 40 years, the trick with doing it with graphics is about anticipating what is needed.

I didn't find the camera-bounce demo anywhere near as promising as the highly blurry Spider-Man footage. I can only go on what they showed but it looked like the camera only veered off a few dozen degrees from the central camera point which would be very limited. The Spider-man demo shows was gamers want to see: the game world loading in super fast. And not just graphics, but the whole city environment comprising vehicles, pedestrians and the game engine in full swing - excuse the pun!

This baseline tech (GPU to SSD, skipping the main memory controller) is sure to be included in XSX and PS5, it'll just be the implementation that differs.

Pretty sure the YouTube algorithms punish shorter content, Many creators pad everything to a minimum of 10 mins even if it's only a 2 min quick bite of info.

You're probably right, but there was some ancillary padding/tangents in both videos. The video on the XSX form-factor video was 20 minutes and even the more recent video on solid state technology was 12 but includes random snippets like AMD revealing their petaflop server. Why was that even included? :???: It kind of feels like DF's videos have swung from too-short to overly-long. I'm good with long videos if the content is about the subject. Some of these videos like a "fireside chat with Richard, who will mention some tech as well". :LOL:

No offence, DF - I like your videos for the most part - your analysis/explanations is why folks watch, though!

Pretty sure the YouTube algorithms punish shorter content,

Many creators pad everything to a minimum of 10 mins even if it's only a 2 min quick bite of info.

Yup. From what I've heard YouTube content creators say, the sweet spot for monetization is in the 15-30 minute range. To go over 30 minutes you have to be a certain level of partner. However, views start to drop as you go further and further over the 30 minute mark.

And I think it was sometime in the past 1-2 years that Google started penalizing videos monetarily if they were less than 10-15 minutes in length.

A lot of changes to monetization on YouTube in the past couple years that have driven a lot of gaming focused content creators and short animation content creators off of YouTube and onto other platforms. They still exist there, just not nearly as many as there used to be. You need a LOT more views now to make the same amount of money, especially if your videos are under 10 minutes.

Regards,
SB

Yup. From what I've heard YouTube content creators say, the sweet spot for monetization is in the 15-30 minute range. To go over 30 minutes you have to be a certain level of partner. However, views start to drop as you go further and further over the 30 minute mark.

How are DF monetising from YouTube? I can't remember the last time I saw an advert in their video, yet much smaller [non-DF] videos I can get two. Is it because I'm skipping because I find the DF ones too long? I always always skip 20-30 sends into their videos because there is always an intro with no detail that I'm looking to hear. I don't have ADD I'm just very busy and have very limited free time! :yes:

How are DF monetising from YouTube? I can't remember the last time I saw an advert in their video, yet much smaller [non-DF] videos I can get two. Is it because I'm skipping because I find the DF ones too long? I always always skip 20-30 sends into their videos because there is always an intro with no detail that I'm looking to hear. I don't have ADD I'm just very busy and have very limited free time! :yes:

I don't know if they are or not as I have an ad blocker on when I go to YouTube. I don't go there nearly as often as I used to (mostly just visit Twitch nowadays) so I haven't bothered to turn it off to support the content creators I like (most don't publish content to YT anymore) in quite a while now.

It's possible that since they have Patreon that they've turned off monetization of their videos on YouTube?

Regards,
SB

I agree with everything said here regarding the length of Videos and content of said Videos at times - I am not a Fan of being prisoner to the Youtube Monetisation Algorithym - which is caprocious.
Our Videos have monetisation/ads... Just not many Breaks as other channels I think.
Imo - I would like for anyone to turn off adblockers for DF, but I can understand the Frustration of how annoying advertidements on YT can be.

YT is just... Ahhhhh, not the best place for my work at the end of the day Imo and the creation cycle it fosters.

I agree with everything said here regarding the length of Videos and content of said Videos at times - I am not a Fan of being prisoner to the Youtube Monetisation Algorithym - which is caprocious.
Our Videos have monetisation/ads... Just not many Breaks as other channels I think.
Imo - I would like for anyone to turn off adblockers for DF, but I can understand the Frustration of how annoying advertidements on YT can be.

YT is just... Ahhhhh, not the best place for my work at the end of the day Imo and the creation cycle it fosters.
Yea, I would agree that is probably Google's fault. they normalized giving away private data for free services. Now no one wants to pay for anything.

I try to, but like I mentioned. I go there so rarely now (compared to a year ago) that I usually don't even think about it. Before I'd go to YT to seek out content and so disable the ad blocker while doing it. Now, since I don't go there much anymore, it's usually due to me clicking on a link to YT from say B3D and so I don't even think about it.

Basically Google trying to monetize videos more has had the opposite effect with me as it's directly reduced the amount of content that I used to go to YT for.

I feel for the smaller YT content creators that are still trying to make some money there, it's definitely hard on them.

It's too bad that Twitch hasn't done a single thing to make VODs more accessible (searchable, etc.), despite a lot of Twitch content creators saying that's one of the top things they want on the platform. Since I go to Twitch a lot, I regularly turn off my ad blocker to support streamers there. Granted subs and donations bring in far more revenue to the streamers than the small amount they can get from ads.

Regards,
SB

"Testing data from AMD recently leaked giving us some hint of the technical make-up of the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X. So what has been revealed, how accurate is the leak likely to be and how could the new Sony and Microsoft console possibly compare? The leak looks genuine, but take any analysis with just a pinch of salt. Regardless - here's what we think"

Great video! Clear, concise, provides context where needed and clearly sets out the unknowns and assumptions. :yes:

I honestly think the PS5 specs, as they're presented here look like a winner if the price comes in at $400 and the Xbox is $500+. I'm not sure where the cheaper Xbox would even fit unless it's about $250.

As for clocks, the 5700xt sustains around 1.8 GHz during gaming, so 2 GHz is a pretty big jump. I'm assuming a newer process node can get it there. The Xbox clock that's speculated should not be an issue at all.

I honestly think the PS5 specs, as they're presented here look like a winner if the price comes in at $400 and the Xbox is $500+. I'm not sure where the cheaper Xbox would even fit unless it's about $250.

As for clocks, the 5700xt sustains around 1.8 GHz during gaming, so 2 GHz is a pretty big jump. I'm assuming a newer process node can get it there. The Xbox clock that's speculated should not be an issue at all.
At the right price PS5 is very attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back