Mixed Information on Consoles or How I learned to loathe PR *spin off*

Many PS4 users have their console horizantally under the TV, Sony could opt to be practical. The XSX is more of a PC design.

It works in both orientations. Is that not practical enough?

Not in height in any orientation.

Just out of curiosity, I just measured the distance between shelves in my entertainment center (7.5"). So, if I were to get one (I'm not planning on it), it would fit just fine in my cabinet. I wouldn't be able to stack it on top of another device in the cabinet, but then I never stack devices in my entertainment center anyway, so that's a moot point for me.

However, while I don't stack devices, I could potentially slot in the Xbox Series X with the square end (top or bottom) facing the front or back of the cabinet. That would allow me to place it next to another device in the cabinet. I don't use physical media anymore, so losing access to the optical drive wouldn't impact me in any way.

I also wonder where all those people that bought vertical stands for their PlayStation or Xbox, put those consoles? You're saying the Xbox Series X wouldn't fit in the same location? I know a couple people that have entertainment centers that have an area for LPs and they have their consoles in that location in a vertical orientation. I thought that was rather clever use of the space considering they aren't audiophiles that are obsessed with Vinyl.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
There's quite a few gamers who said in forums that it won't fit in their current setup if it's that tall on it's side. Not that big of a deal to put it on the floor or on a table, or if there's space left besides the TV, but it's certainly a form factor compromise.

I'm not disagreeing with it, by the way. It's a good choice for better cooling.

There's quite a few gamers who said in forums that it won't fit in their current setup if it's that tall on it's side. Not that big of a deal to put it on the floor or on a table, or if there's space left besides the TV, but it's certainly a form factor compromise.

I'm not disagreeing with it, by the way. It's a good choice for better cooling.

Yeah, they must have tiny entertainment centers then. Just did a search on entertainment centers at Walmart, and it would appear that it would fit in almost all of them. Alternatively their shelves are so packed that they have to stack devices. It definitely wouldn't work then, unless the space is wide enough to have it slip in that way. But then, you lose the optical drive if you still use physical media.

What's surprising (to me) is that it appears there's quite a few entertainment centers where you could even have it in a vertical orientation. Interesting.

Regards,
SB

I don’t have space for a vertical setup. TV too large. TV Stand too small. If the stand is larger than the Tv the vertical setup is practical otherwise not so much.

if your TV is wall mounted you should be good to go if the clearance is there.

It certainly is a out of the ordinary design that won't fit as easily as the current consoles do. Right now my PS4 is in it's horizontal position in front of my TV. Would i go with a XSX i would have to relocate it, which is not much of a problem for me but i can imagine not everyone will like the idea. What i wonder then how Lockhart is going to be in shape, i assume a more traditional/practical design? Hardcore users most likely don't mind the odd console shape, but casual users most likely find it hard to place in some situations.

I don’t have space for a vertical setup. TV too large. TV Stand too small. If the stand is larger than the Tv the vertical setup is practical otherwise not so much.

if your TV is wall mounted you should be good to go if the clearance is there.
And the small TV stand have only one or maybe two places for devices, it's often already occupied, and you can fit two normal consoles in the space the xbsx would take.

It's easy to say it fits when the thing is empty and the person have no a/v receiver, no other consoles, no cable or sat receiver, and owns no electronics leaving an empty shelf ready for their first ever piece of electronics and then it's full.

And the small TV stand have only one or maybe two places for devices, it's often already occupied, and you can fit two normal consoles in the space the xbsx would take.

It's easy to say it fits when the thing is empty and the person have no a/v receiver, no other consoles, no cable or sat receiver, and owns no electronics leaving an empty shelf ready for their first ever piece of electronics.
Agreed.
I love the look and idea of a vertical setup. But for many setups, it’s not easy to pull off.

I think a desk & monitor setup is easy though. Like having a mini PC tower on your desk.

considering the type of A/V support Xbox has today, many folks with those types of setups will have challenges.

The team leading xbox now is not the same leading one's launch. They've been humbled, just like sony was after ps3's disastrous launch. Both companies are pretty no-nonsense now, I'd say.
I'm expecting MS at least to do almost everything right this time, just like sony did with ps4. If there's someone that could decide to turn goofy all of the sudden, that'd be sony, but even then I think chances are slim.

The team leading xbox now is not the same leading one's launch. They've been humbled, just like sony was after ps3's disastrous launch. Both companies are pretty no-nonsense now, I'd say.
I'm expecting MS at least to do almost everything right this time, just like sony did with ps4. If there's someone that could decide to turn goofy all of the sudden, that'd be sony, but even then I think chances are slim.

Yeah, when I talk about Xbox now, I tend to talk about it in terms of Phil Spencer's Xbox.

Most of the people that were in charge of the direction of Xbox when XBO launched are gone. Back then, the management team seemed more focused on selling people on their vision of what they thought gaming (or the living room) could be like. Whether it was motion controlled games with Kinect or monetized microtransaction laded F2P games or cloud based gaming (I bought into that one big :p) or whatever. They were always trying to sell you on what could happen at some nebulous point in the future. They just needed technology to catch up with their "vision."

OTOH, Phil Spencer seems more like the person that comes into the office and asks his team, what can we DO. What can we do that doesn't require hoping for tech to catch up. His biggest gaffe thus far that someone on this forum likes to point out is that he mentioned in one interview that VR was coming to XBO. But even that was grounded in what they could actually do. The fact that the market still hasn't taken off for VR (at least it's still surviving) obviously made him reconsider bringing VR to XBO, but it was certainly something they could have done.

Granted, they're dedicating a lot of resources to Game Streaming, which is one of those "future" things that needs technology to catch up, but then so is everyone else.

Regards,
SB

Nah. The technical arguments against were completely solid.
And something like stadia or xcloud are completely undoable because I've read it here on b3d.
I remember some doom demo with shared rendering, and some patent.
At some point it was in the work and working, but it didin't delivered.

And something like stadia or xcloud are completely undoable because I've read it here on b3d.
Clearly they're not undoable because they exist. They don't hit the low latency claims made by the companies selling them though, for the reasons often cited in technical consideration of the problems they face.

The power of three XBs for every XBO out there thanks to the cloud was bollocks. As described at length, the best you could hope for was graphic streaming, but the economics of that proposition were madness and it'd obviously never go anywhere.
At some point it was in the work and working, but it didin't delivered.
It wasn't in the works and working, otherwise it'd have been released. Laboratory results may have shown some promise, like the old Crackdown 3 demos, but hit the real internet with real users and it fails. Again, at length the discussion has been on the way you could distribute information, and there's just not a lot you can do. Lossy video is one of them. Something like Dreams' SDF may be streamable as you are using atomic CSG-type geometry rather than massive vertex counts. Then there's the economic issues. The technical limitations for what MS presented for cloud enhancements were clearly nonsense and that's been proven after the fact where there's absolutely nothing cloud enhanced for single-player games. Cloud computing is for servers running massive multiplayer games or game-streaming.

Putting it another way, regardless of what B3D's collective opinion is, if game streaming was possible, it would have happened - and it did. Likewise, regardless of what B3D's collective opinion is, if cloud-enhanced local gaming was possible, it would have happened - and it didn't, meaning it was never a realistic offering.

Last edited:
Back