Mixed Information on Consoles or How I learned to loathe PR *spin off*

Even some consoles moto's have been incredible lies, "It only does everything". Yet there wasn't vocal objections to that PR Lie.
That was an advertising slogan though, which we know are nonsense. There's a difference between a motto and a claim, like "can render Toy Story in real time" or "supercomputer on a chip". These PR companies have really gone to town sometimes. MS's come more to mind - I don't know if they just push the claims harder or they are just even more fanciful with their technobabble or what. Sony tends to make ballsy claims, and then show a bunch of fake CG trailers, rather than make spurious hardware claims; as least in my impression. MS comes out with things like 'power of the cloud' and 'aggregate bandwidth' which sound more technical, and perhaps as a result are more technical false and disprovable than airy-fairy marketing. Car manufacturer's tend to present unrealistic images of driving, but these are clearly works of fiction rather than false technical presentation.

"Only does everything" clearly doesn't involve picking the kids up from school and doing the ironing, but gets across in a simple message the confused positioning of PS3 as an all-on-one entertainment box. There's nothing really wrong with that. The Motorstorm trailer OTOH was pure horseshit, same as MS's power of the cloud claims. I think both have received their fair share of blowback.

Even some consoles moto's have been incredible lies, "It only does everything". Yet there wasn't vocal objections to that PR Lie.
Because the colloquial and hyperbolic use of "everything" was quite clear.

Samsung saying this is the best washing machine in the world, is not supposed to be taken as a peer reviewed study. Just the usual subjective PR.

Last edited:
The motorstorm demo was 14 years ago.

I don't remember the last time we saw a CG render as a demo... Other than the third parties working with Digic, and Blur, etc... Is this still happening?

We are still seeing "in engine" bullshit today, but at least they say it upfront. They need to show a target demo long before the game is made, so it's the fair compromise.

Even if my post is useless as the posts from MrFox have being predictably buried to the archives. Do you remember that implied promise about kinect ? In my opinion, Microsoft are the worst of the bunch when they oversell things to their customers.

941780e3_e3-kinect-star-wars-fail.gif

Even if my post is useless as the posts from MrFox have being predictably buried to the archives. Do you remember that implied promise about kinect ? In my opinion, Microsoft are the worst of the bunch when they oversell things to their customers.

941780e3_e3-kinect-star-wars-fail.gif
I tried to use only the most recent events, but yeah most kinect presentations in those days were choregraphed.

And we didn't even bring up the ridiculously fake Milo demo.
https://www.vg247.com/2010/06/29/microsofts-greenberg-milo-absolutely-still-in-development/

That is a failed project, but at some point, it must have been considered a realistic technology.
Nah. The technical arguments against were completely solid. It was last-minute counter-PR to Sony's stronger PS4 pulled out of some execs' collective arses. MS back then were not well run. They are much better now. As mentioned before by someone, it's as if the console companies have grown out of their adolescence and are starting to engage with a degree of maturity. I think the PR thinking of the time has been overturned, and they realise that being honest (and ignoring unwanted messages, so ditching sales numbers in favour of monthly users etc.) generates better PR in the long run. If someone is not the most powerful console, they'll just focus on what they can do, in terms of games and services.

In my opinion, Microsoft are the worst of the bunch when they oversell things to their customers.

IMHO, both Sony and Microsoft are equally guilty when it comes to console hyperbole PR messaging.

As a PC gamer, my coke & jack came flying out of my mouth when Sony revealed this BS about the PS4.:LOL:

mxpWuwV.jpg

IMHO, both Sony and Microsoft are equally guilty when it comes to console hyperbole PR messaging.

As a PC gamer, my coke & jack came flying out of my mouth when Sony revealed this BS about the PS4.:LOL:

mxpWuwV.jpg
What's wrong with that picture?

It's based on a PC architecture, they integrated it better, added unified gddr5 which no PC have, this is a pretty good description.

Only the word "supercharged" is vague and useless, but Cerny made a long presentation at GDC to explain all the details.

What's wrong with that picture?

It's based on a PC architecture, they integrated it better, added unified gddr5 which no PC have, this is a pretty good description.

The hyperbole PR messaging of "Supercharged PC architecture" and the imagery of a “bomb” deadly enhanced PC GPU. All laughable PR points.

A great system it is. A supercharged PC… not even close.

I thought that was a shapely paintbrush. :cool:
So do I. A rocket-propelled bomb wouldn't have the gentle curve in the flame. It's a pretty crappy graphic but it's not really fake tech claims and very mellow relative to past PR nonsense.

That is a failed project, but at some point, it must have been considered a realistic technology.
It sure was considered a realistic technology....a realistic technology that was limited within the logical boundaries, Microsoft surely knew what was practical and possible and what was not. The PR went beyond that.
It clearly failed the basics as well

Last edited:
Sony might not want or can offer the strongest console like MS. MS has been saying that they will have the strongest console, like with the one x. Sony hasn’t, but ssd performance then (nvme like xsx)
I am pretty sure both MS and Sony want the "strongest console", who gets that crown is up in the air and will be based on many hw and sw aspects. Both can offer the upper hand, it will all come down to economic decision. No surprise that one x is the "strongest" releasing one year after PS4 Pro. History has shown about 30% increase in power each year.

Back