Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just checked now Apisak Gonzalo scores. He said 1.8GHz revision scored 2x higher score (20K+) then 1.0GHz, this means Oberon, which has same Ariel GPU clocked at 2.0GHz should score round about ~22K on Firestrike.
This would point at something around ~10TF
It's likely that 1.0GHz version has more CUs enabled so it has 50% score of 1.8GHz version.

When we can find out how many CUs are enabled/disabled we would make more precise estimation.

9.2 TF PS5 is pretty damn disappointing, I guess it's a $399 console then. Damn casuals ruining my dream again. If that turns out to be true then it's XsX day one, either waiting for more exclusives available on PS5 or PS5 Pro.

I'm pretty sure Nvidia has greater resources on gathering and evaluating its competitor’s tech than a bunch of armchair pastebin tech misfits and goalpost shifting console warriors.

I'm also pretty sure Jen Hsu Huang has a tendency to be full of shit especially when comparing their hardware against unknown products.
The RTX 2080 Max-Q barely ever clocks above 1GHz and has a hard time keeping up with the desktop GTX 1080.

Either Phil Spencer is blatantly lying about the SeX performance (2×Scorpio would always be better than a GTX1080) or Jensen is being dishonest.

I'm also pretty sure Jen Hsu Huang has a tendency to be full of shit especially when comparing their hardware against unknown products.
The RTX 2080 Max-Q barely ever clocks above 1GHz and has a hard time keeping up with the desktop GTX 1080.

Either Phil Spencer is blatantly lying about the SeX performance (2×Scorpio would always be better than a GTX1080) or Jensen is being dishonest.
I only trust GDC presentations.

CEOs and PR people tend to... mangle the data they receive from engineering.

Oberon is here

As per Rogame

36CU
2.0GHZ
16GB @14Gbps

I find it very hard to believe Sony would launch a console with a 7nm APU with the same amount of compute units as their 16nm APU on their 4 year old mid-gen.
Unless them too are going with a dual console launch and this ia their low end.

Another thing that could be happening is this is the GPU working in PS4 compatibility mode.
The PS4 Pro disables half its GPU in games that are not Pro enhanced but keeps its higher clocks for better framerate.

I find it very hard to believe Sony would launch a console with a 7nm APU with the same amount of compute units as their 16nm APU on their 4 year old mid-gen.

Another thing that could be happening is this is the GPU working in PS4 compatibility mode.
The PS4 Pro disables half its GPU in games that are not Pro enhanced but keeps its higher clocks for better framerate.
Not that hard to believe. They are working at 120% higher clocks. I think, if you are not going dual SKU, 9.2TF is very high number for Navi system (+VRS and RT). Thats easily higher wattage then any Sony console before.

Do you really think a 9TF machine could be the low end model? If so what would the top end be 16+ TF?
I just can't see how that could be any kind of low end model.
The PS4 Pro disables half its GPU in games that are not Pro enhanced
You suggesting that it could be it running with CU's half disabled, therefore 18TF? Again I don't see it.

If it was 9.xTF and xsx was 12TF, I think it would be more than competitive in terms of visuals and price.
When I say visuals I'm talking non pixel counting, just standard viewing distance etc

They are much bigger CUs, and much better performance, and can be clocked much higher.

Look at the current navi cards, 9.3TF of that is pretty much the maximum expected without requiring two skus, considering the nvme drive will also take a hit on the BOM.

I suppose they could be aiming a bit lower now if they plan on releasing a Pro model in 3 years. If they push to something like 12 TFlops on launch, a pro model won't have as much room to grow.

Edit: There's also zero chance that almost 10Tflops is half the gpu. No way at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back