I think my new Ryzen 2600 PC is possessed, or it gains sentience or something

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
1. It makes constant "Czzzzzz" noise every time i play a video on MPC-HC (if i play with other app, no sound)
2. It makes periodic, louder "Czzzzzz" noise every time i play Destiny 2. Have not tried other games, so dunno.

The hotter the cpu temperature, the louder the "Czzzzzz" sounds.

I stuck a plastic to the CPU fan, stopping it, still "Czzzzzz". I stuck a plastic to GPU fans, still "Czzzzzz".

I want to try to stuck a plastic to PSU FAN but im not brave enough (is it safe?)

oh for cat's sake. Its the GPU!

every time it is used, it made "Czzzzzz" noise! Gorrammit!
no wonder this damn thing (COLORFUL brand, with backplate) is around 30 USD cheaper than other "big brands" like MSI.

now i need to check whether the periodic, louder "Czzzzzz" noise is also the GPU.

EDIT

wait a sec. I cant be sure its the GPU. it could be the motherboard caps making noise when the GPU got work. Or heck, the PSU!

any idea how i can pinpoint the issue other than buying an infrared directional mic?

Have another GPU handy to compare?

i still have a radeon HD 4770 but i dont think it eats electricity as much as GTX 1660 SUPER....

oh!

i can swap my HD 7770 from my old PC to GTX 1660 SUPER on the new PC. Then examine the sound!
If GTX 1660 SUPER doesnt make any sound on the old PC, then its probably not the GPU. But then... if the HD 7770 on the new PC also didnt make a sound.... ugh...

motherboard issue?

thank you!

found a nice trick

"Chopsticks are your friend, here! Fire up your system with the case open, do whatever causes coil whine, and touch one end of the chopstick to your ear, and the other to the various components of your board until you find the source. This won't help you to diagnose complex power interactions involving multiple components, but will at least allow you to know exactly where the noise is coming from."

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/electrical-buzzing-sound-on-my-motherboard.2314166/

ill poke things up tomorrow hahahaha

Is it really that hard to tell where the noise is coming from? Then again maybe I got a really good sense of location by sound, must vary from person to person.

I used to use that chopstick trick while playing cello. If you wanted to hear your own instrument above the rest of the orchestras you'd just lean over a bit and stick one of the tuning pegs in your ear and you'd be able to hear your instrument reverberating in your skull. I'd do it to make sure I was in tune. Neat idea to use a chopstic!

A $8 stethoscope from CVS will work too, also more comfortable. ;)

My Vega FE has a lot of coil whine sometime, when under heavy load, but some games are more prone to "activate it" than others. In most case limiting the fps to 60 or 90 help a lot (and since I play with vsync+freesync, it's perfect). It's been a while since I've had a video card without coil whine at high fps, it's a shame.

Back