Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth would he be talking about an unannounced or possibly nonexistent system? I'm pretty sure he is aiming these comments towards XBSX and PS5 which would make sense.

6.5 TF Nvidia GPU being than PS5 / Xsx makes less sense.

I thought we all knew how deceptive Nvidia marketing can be. Using an unannounced console isn't beneath Nvidia.

Last edited:
6.5 TF Nvidia GPU bring being than PS5 / Xsx makes less sense.

What are you talking about? The current Nvidia RTX 2080 Mobile has 9.3TF (FP32) in performance. And it’s virtually comparable to AMD’s full fledge desktop RX 5700 XT GPU at 9.7TF (minus RT).

Also, the current Lenovo Y740 17" laptop carries the RTX 2080 mobile GPU. And next year’s model should carry even higher-clocks from more efficient designs.

I thought we all knew how deceptive Nvidia marketing can be. Using an unannounced console isn't beneath Nvidia.

Sure.
giphy.gif

To see the type of gains some are talking about you’re going to have to see a major change in architecture, memory, nodes, and super efficient design......and a massive die that will go wider rather than clocked super fast.

Then you have cost and power constraints to consider.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? The current Nvidia RTX 2080 Mobile has 9.3TF (FP32) in performance. And it’s virtually comparable to AMD’s full fledge desktop RX 5700 XT GPU at 9.7TF (minus RT).

Also, the current Lenovo Y740 17" laptop carries the RTX 2080 mobile GPU. And next year’s model should carry even higher-clocks from more efficient designs.

Sure.
giphy.gif

RTX 2080 Max Q Jenseng mentioned is the one in the Lenovo Y740 on the stage. It is a 6.5TF part.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...-y-series/Lenovo-Legion-Y740-17/p/88GMY701062

I did the research.

If you want to make the argument that a 8-12TF Navi GPU is going to be worse than the 6.5TF Max Q then let's hear it.

Last edited:
For the purposes of PR nonsense though, Jen/slide was likely referring to the desktop 2080. Never mind what was in whatever part he is talking about. The fact Max Q it's 50% clocks is irrelevant. They just want to obfuscate the issue. "Man what a beast, now I can have it in my laptop" (not exactly)

I guess. Who knows. Already over it.

For the purposes of PR nonsense though, Jen/slide was likely referring to the desktop 2080. Never mind what was in whatever part he is talking about. The fact Max Q it's 50% clocks is irrelevant. They just want to obfuscate the issue. "Man what a beast, now I can have it in my laptop" (not exactly)

I buy this. Showing a comparison between desktop 2080 and PS5, implying that the Max Q is comparable is something that Nvidia would totally do.

If you want to make the argument that a 8-12TF Navi GPU is going to be worse than the 6.5TF Max Q then let's hear it.

There is no argument to be made. Nvidia's Turing architecture and AMD's Navi architecture aren’t exactly 1:1 when it comes to actual real-world performance in games. And for the most part, Nvidia's Turing line has held a steady lead in gaming. Heck, the RTX 2070 (7.4TF) beats RX 5700 XT (9.7TF) in many gaming scenarios. Point being, higher raw TF doesn’t necessarily mean better real-world performance.

Last edited:
I buy this. Showing a comparison between desktop 2080 and PS5, implying that the Max Q is comparable is something that Nvidia would totally do.

Where was the PS5 mentioned? Nowhere in those slides did they mention any next-generation consoles by name. Only stating “Next Gen Consoles”... which of course would be XBSX and PS5.

The Chinese text on the left reads laptops are more powerful than next-gen concole. They mean it. I really don't think we should care so much about Chinese PR, because in China market next-gen consoles may be something like China console or Switch (yes, switch is just released in China).

Where was the PS5 mentioned? Nowhere in those slides did they mention any next-generation consoles by name. Only stating “Next Gen Consoles”... which of course would be XBSX and PS5.
He said he has info PS5 is 10.24TFs. I remember.

Food for thought, last time he did that presentation was on Jan 2019, he compared Max-Q design to PS4 Pro, stating they are 2X faster than a PS4Pro. NVIDIA always compares against PS or Xbox.

Max-Q design and NVIDIA RTX technology deliver the next generation of thin, high-performance laptops to gamers. With up to 2x the performance of a PlayStation 4 Pro, the laptops can play the latest ray-traced games like Battlefield V at 60 frames per second.

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-powers-record-number-of-new-gaming-laptops

This year they changed the tone, saying MaxQ is faster against an unknown next gen PS or Xbox, this is a deliberate and conscious move, which implies they know something we don't.

New How would Nvidia know what not even 3rd party developers know? Are you saying corporate espionage by Nvidia?
In this day and age, all info are up for grabs, we have leakers everywhere, even on forums, big companies have deep connections everywhere, so they keep an eye on each other all the time, especially at foundries.

In this day and age, all info are up for grabs, we have leakers everywhere, even on forums, big companies have deep connections everywhere, so they keep an eye on each other all the time, especially at foundries.

Or they know nothing and feel confident comparing themselves to a product that doesn't exist yet because no one can prove them wrong for a while. By the time anyone can it will probably be forgotten or just glossed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back