Building a new pc : ryzen 5 2600, gtx 1660 super, 2x8GB ddr4 3200mhz cl16

Also, I like Patriot. I've had nothing but good from 'em. Not knocking Corsair at all, but Patriot is right up there with them IMHO.

Seems like a nice build Davros.
It is a bit of a mystery to me why you'd pay for a 3800x over a 3700x though.
And £90 for a power supply when you can buy modular Platinum rated ones for less? Of course, that may be due to running a multi-card graphics solution, but isn't that kind of dead, meaning that there is precious little reason to go much beyond 500-600W PSUs? (I can perfectly well overclock a Vega64 using such a PSU, and it draws more under those conditions than I consider sane by any standards. I will never buy something like that again, even though I was able to tame it with a Morpheus.)
The graphics card is the final question mark - since that's what dominates power draw in the system, and depending on resolution, mostly determines performance level for gaming, it is a gaping hole. Is it because you are building for an upcoming purchase (presently unreleased and unknown), and you're dimensioning a bit to be able to put anything in there?

In that case I would simply not buy anything until that graphics solution is actually out, and assemble the surrounding system when you buy it. You are bound to have more options and get better pricing.

a 3800x over a 3700x though.
Me and digi were talking about the it's just a little bit more mentality - I'm not immune to it

£90 for a power supply
used a psu calculator that said I needed 475w (so add some headroom)
On overclockers selecting psu's up to 800 watts brings up everything from a £39 600w Kolink
to a £220 750w Seasonic with a lot of psu's hovering around the £90 mark hence the £90 as a rough guess

ps: gpu will be a gtx 970 at first then something else in the future (don't know what or when)
pps: I think I'm developing a fear of the dark because I noticed I've been overlooking some parts
because they don't have led's but it gets worse normal led's arn't good enough they must be rgb addressable.

Me and digi were talking about the it's just a little bit more mentality - I'm not immune to it

On overclockers selecting psu's up to 800 watts brings up everything from a £39 600w Kolink
to a £220 750w Seasonic with a lot of psu's hovering around the £90 mark hence the £90 as a rough guess

ps: gpu will be a gtx 970 at first then something else in the future (don't know what or when)
pps: I think I'm developing a fear of the dark because I noticed I've been overlooking some parts
because they don't have led's but it gets worse normal led's arn't good enough they must be rgb addressable.

Just remembrr my mistake. Dont just believe the brand. Look for reviews that goes deep into thr components

Or for simller terms, look for the ones witu 5yrs warranty at minimum

some observations
motherboards for power need a 24pin, 8pin, 4pin (some 2x8pins) - seriously wtf
in a lot of psu's the 12v rail is a single trace why spit it up into 3 cables surely 24pins is enough
also some boards in their features list "can boot from nvme" others dont (all x570 chipset)
either they dont support it or they think booting from nvme is nothing special everyone can do it
hence they dont list it - which is it ?

ps: while I'm in rant mode
Modular psu's the cable's arn't standard so you could kill your pc :(

Last edited:
For those here who are thinking about getting the Ryzen 1600 and wonder if they should get the Ryzen 2600 instead you may be in luck by buying the Ryzen 1600 but really be getting the Ryzen 2600.

The trick is that you need to do this in person (like at Microcenter) and make sure the processor identification number ends with "AF":

That's Ryzen AF: Some Old AMD Chips Might Be Getting a 12nm Makeover
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/thats-ryzen-af-some-old-amd-chips-might-be-getting-a-12nm-makeover

For those here who are thinking about getting the Ryzen 1600 and wonder if they should get the Ryzen 2600 instead you may be in luck by buying the Ryzen 1600 but really be getting the Ryzen 2600.

The trick is that you need to do this in person (like at Microcenter) and make sure the processor identification number ends with "AF":

That's Ryzen AF: Some Old AMD Chips Might Be Getting a 12nm Makeover
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/thats-ryzen-af-some-old-amd-chips-might-be-getting-a-12nm-makeover
HUBAA-WAAAH?!??! :D

I am getting my ass to Micro Center tomorrow and hunting through their entire inventory in both locations! Thanks, uhm, A1xxLLLcdIU73xdf8943ehg90:??!!!

Also just checked out Amazon and well...

upload_2019-12-22_16-36-23.png

It's about $220 with tax, but I'll pay that much in driving and it looks like Amazon is shipping the Ryzen 5 1600AFs there. (Yes, I'm reading it as "Ryzen 5 1600 As Fuck!" in my head!)

Anyone see any better deals on DDR4 memory there, or mobos?

Who is? :)
Still, that particular example, 3700x -> 3800x, is one where money can be saved and put towards a little bit more of something else, RAM/SSD/MB/whatever with minimal negative impact.
£90 buys a good PSU if you are on the lookout!
(Check out the Fractal Design Ion+ series of Platinum Plus PSUs with 10year warranty at decent prices.)
Basically, in a modern PC that doesn't go berserk overclocking a HEDT platform, the GPU is the only thing that draws serious power.

It did seem as if you were taking headroom for some future GPU that you didn't know the power draw of.
And that's a tricky question that can only be answered by the individual. For me, GPU power draw is at roads end or even a bit beyond it. It feels like the American muscle cars of the late 60s - technological dead end, going counter to the surrounding trends in society and technology. I won't let my GPU power draw climb further, in fact I'd like it to drop below 100W! Which unfortunately suggests that I'd be waiting a Very Long Time Indeed for any meaningful performance increase from where I am already. (Last decade saw a factor of four increase in performance/power, and I sincerely doubt that this rate is going to improve going forward.) But 250W is a definite upper bound for the future, which means that the total power draw will stay quite comfortably under 500W.

Honestly, at this point in time, I'd simply sit on my wallet until the new console generation is out, and it starts getting apparent what the titles that target them require. Then adjust for your personal preferences in terms of resolution and frame rate. (Unless of course you are doing other stuff on your desktop that requires performance beyond where you are right now.) And that would take to 2021/2022 at the earliest. That's a long way from instant gratification though. ;-)

Also just checked out Amazon and well...

View attachment 3488

It's about $220 with tax, but I'll pay that much in driving and it looks like Amazon is shipping the Ryzen 5 1600AFs there. (Yes, I'm reading it as "Ryzen 5 1600 As Fuck!" in my head!)

Anyone see any better deals on DDR4 memory there, or mobos?

Hopefully the G.Skill memory you are buying will work in XMP mode without errors.

I had to return this set of G.Skill memory because memtest86 showed failures in test 5 & 6 even if I bumped the memory voltage to 1.4 volts. I strongly suggest testing your memory using memtest 86 to be sure they are error free.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GVKC

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb...-USA-_-index-_-product-link-_-N82E16820232880

I've decided to go for 2x16gb not that I need it but if I do need to add more memory in a few years time
there is no guarantee that the dimms I use will still be on sale and no mboards QVL will list compatibility
with 2 different models of dimm.

that's a tricky question that can only be answered by the individual
I will never be using a top tier gpu they are way out of my price range

I will never be using a top tier gpu they are way out of my price range
Mine too. And if I against all odds should find myself with slush funds that covered $999 + tariffs + VAT, I still couldn't justify spending that kind of money for an increment in performance that I can just as well compensate by adjusting a couple of settings. Chasing pixels on a screen just isn't important enough in the greater scheme of things.

At the end of the day, these are just tools to have fun playing computer games. We're not curing cancer here.

Last edited:
Back