Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s no reason to cater to any baseline below the consoles. The only exception is being able to cater to exclusive hardware in which PC cannot have. But they have avoided this by running with a nvme drive.
With or without lockhart; I don’t see a reason to set a baseline below PS5/Anaconda.

Last edited:
So what speeds do you guys think we're realistically looking at here for the SSDs? Sounds like PS5 could end up being around 2x faster than the XSX.

Was the 2GB/s for the XSX actually confirmed? Seems odd that MS would have lower than Gen3 NVMe speeds at this point, imo.

What if loading speed difference is above 100% ?

Initial game loading or loading between "levels"? If its initial loading, Xbox will support multiple games having instant resume so once you load a game, getting back into it will be instant even if you switched to a different game in between. My guess is they're using VM Snapshots or Hibernation for this.

So what is 100% of instant, 0 seconds to 2 * 0 seconds? :LOL:

So what speeds do you guys think we're realistically looking at here for the SSDs? Sounds like PS5 could end up being around 2x faster than the XSX.

Was the 2GB/s for the XSX actually confirmed?

No. Nothing confirmed. So we do not know if XSX or PS5 is using PciE 4 or PciE 5 (which is due next year). Even if they only use 4 lane PciE 3.0 that would be 4 GB/s. They could use 8 lane PciE 3.0 and hit 8 GB/s.

No idea wtf anyone got 2 GB/s from, other than their ass.

Was the 2GB/s for the XSX actually confirmed? Seems odd that MS would have lower than Gen3 NVMe speeds at this point, imo.
Indeed. That's what I am trying to understand. In the E3 video they said we are using the next generation of SSDs, but 2gb/s isn't even as fast as max PCIE 3. If that's the case then how can it be faster than anything on PC. To be fair, all this is based on what Windows Central leaked. So I guess that's why I am asking if I/O is different from SSD speed. I noticed its a distinction Spencer and Ronald differentiated I/O from SSD.

No. Nothing confirmed. So we do not know if XSX or PS5 is using PciE 4 or PciE 5 (which is due next year). Even if they only use 4 lane PciE 3.0 that would be 4 GB/s. They could use 8 lane PciE 3.0 and hit 8 GB/s.

No idea wtf anyone got 2 GB/s from, other than their ass.

It could be a 2 lane PCIe 3.0 NVME drive. Coming from a mechanical SATA drive that already would have seemed like a huge upgrade. They had no way to anticipate Sony would have gone for a hugely performant custom solution (assuming they did).

Speaking of pulling shit out of your ass...

Xbox Series X Rumor Claims Console Has Huge Advantage Over PS5

According to a new rumor, the Xbox Series X will have a big and unexpected advantage over the PlayStation 5 at launch. More specifically, the latest rumor fresh out of the mill claims the Xbox Series X will have substantially more launch games and launch exclusives over the PS5. The rumor comes way of Russian video game journalist Anton Logvinov, who has had both a fair share of accurate and inaccurate scoops in the past. Some of his recent and most notable scoops include the announcement of Hellblade 2 and Death Stranding coming to PC.

That said, the Russian games journalist claims the PlayStation 5 will not have a single major exclusive at launch, and its launch line-up will be heavily bolstered by enhanced versions of popular PS4 exclusives. Meanwhile, Logvinov claims the Xbox Series X will have a staggering 12-16 exclusives at launch; not all will be major though.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/12/21/xbox-series-x-ps5-playstation-games-launch-exclusives/

It could be a 2 lane PCIe 3.0 NVME drive. Coming from a mechanical SATA drive that already would have seemed like a huge upgrade. They had no way to anticipate Sony would have gone for a hugely performant custom solution (assuming they did).
Why would they limit themselves to 2 lanes though? That seems to me like they'd be going out of their way to handicap themselves, no? One of the aspects they touch upon in their initial "Project Scarlett" trailer is that they're using the SSD "as virtual RAM".

I wonder how each of the two companies will balance their memory/storage configurations, and how it will effect the maximum potential of each device? Past a point, how much difference will it actually make?

According to a new rumor, the Xbox Series X will have a big and unexpected advantage over the PlayStation 5 at launch. More specifically, the latest rumor fresh out of the mill claims the Xbox Series X will have substantially more launch games and launch exclusives over the PS5. The rumor comes way of Russian video game journalist Anton Logvinov, who has had both a fair share of accurate and inaccurate scoops in the past. Some of his recent and most notable scoops include the announcement of Hellblade 2 and Death Stranding coming to PC.

That said, the Russian games journalist claims the PlayStation 5 will not have a single major exclusive at launch, and its launch line-up will be heavily bolstered by enhanced versions of popular PS4 exclusives. Meanwhile, Logvinov claims the Xbox Series X will have a staggering 12-16 exclusives at launch; not all will be major though.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/12/21/xbox-series-x-ps5-playstation-games-launch-exclusives/

I'm pretty sure Logvinov was also sourced for information during Giuliani's worldwide Ukraine 2016 election interference documentation tour. :rolleyes:

Why would they limit themselves to 2 lanes though? That seems to me like they'd be going out of their way to handicap themselves, no? One of the aspects they touch upon in their initial "Project Scarlett" trailer is that they're using the SSD "as virtual RAM".

Costs. They only wanted to have a few PCIe lanes coming off the APU. A 2GB/s SSD was already seen as a huge upgrade.

The way they have promoted the "virtual RAM" aspect is very strange. It makes me suspect they feel a bit insecure about the RAM amount available in the Series X and crafted their messaging in an attempt to distract from any perceived shortcomings.

I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a solid year or 18 months to start seeing solid first party support for PS5.

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly but PS4 first parties were a bit light for a while too.

FYI devkit !== retail. As long as the retail has matching or better configuration, they can put whatever in there afterwards.

Fair enough, but it doesn't support theories of some wild hyper customized SSD HW solution. I'm sure they'll use some kind of PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive anyway and customizations will be on software stack size instead.

As long as it has at least one AAA ballz to the wall graphical showcase title I'll be content. We know Sony has enough high caliber studios to eventually balance out the release schedule through out the years, it's just a matter of time.
tumblr_inline_nxa7k8neIA1ri4d3y_400.gifv

But let's see what MS has on offer tho.

This sounds like absolute nonsense to me.

I've said in the past how important I think gen exclusive games are, got bit of push back on that though.

1P initial software sales are nice when targeting xgen. But if you're not shifting consoles and giving people good reasons to purchase next gen then medium and long term will be affected as momentum, market share, mind share (all those buzz words) come into play.
Year or two down the line when 3P are dropping previous gen support and looking at lead platforms, exclusive content (if you got less consoles gonna cost more to get), peer pressure etc, that's when having pushed to sell next gen from early on comes into play.

Platform holders waiting for xgen support to naturally fall off to also focus on next gen would be to late.

Not saying every game they make has to be next gen exclusive.

Not saying every game they make has to be next gen exclusive.
If you assume they mean 12-16 first party exclusives, yes, it's questionable. However, targeting XB1 with their first-party studios doesn't seem very smart. So, we could see a number of smaller projects from the in-house teams along with money-hatted 3rd parties (like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon). I think going for a strong launch makes a lot of sense, especially for MS as they are now. Money from XB1 sales probably isn't worth that much versus a potential brand-swoop for next gen - most powerful box with the best library (let's ignore price for the moment!). And if they do lose out power to Sony, library will be even more important. On screen, doesn't look any different really but you get to play all these great game exclusively on XBox along with everything you can play on PS5.

If you assume they mean 12-16 first party exclusives, yes, it's questionable.
Wasn't just that figure, was also saying Sony would have zero.

Thought you was one of the people pushing back on my view of the importance of gen exclusives, but could just be misremembering.

But, yea agree with what you've said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back