Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not much, actually. They could sell it for 399 or 449, and take a small loss? 499 or higher is going to give trouble i suspect. Hardcore gamers may want to pay 1000 dollars or more, most casuals don't though.

The BOM price is baseline for losses, it does not include costs for manufacturing, inventory, shipping, global marketing and for any software titles developed which aren't cross-gen loses so make less they they cost because of the limited install base. Nor does it cover the years of R&D cost the it took the develop the console in the first place. You're likely looking at $100-200 loss in real terms. Sony sold 4.2 million PS4 consoles between launch and the end of 2013. If you're only losing $100 a unit, you just lost almost half a billion dollars. As the los-per-unit rises, that loss rises.

It's easy to get really generous with other people's money!

Last edited by a moderator:
Klee has the spec sheets with 12 TF SeX on it and remains unchanged in his statement, the dude who leaked all the names from the Tempest (widely considered to be very reliable on Navi hardware) also said the PS5 is not based on a 40 CU apu, instead it's based on the Big Navi chip. That Tommy Fisher guy has believable info of a 13 TF PS5 but couldn't get verified according to the mod yet still did not get banned. The evidence is starting to mount up to a 12.9-13.3 TF PS5 if I'm not crazy. A simple wink from some Sony 1st party dev is all it takes to confirm this now. :D

I'm just damn happy the baseline for nextgen is 12-13 TF unless Lockhart poops the party, of course it'll only go up from here for PCs. But again the difference in the high end PCs would still be only used for native 4k, higher framerate as per usual, any graphical difference would be way smaller to none compared to what PS4/XB1 or even the Pro/1X are to PCs now. PC can also improve on Raytracing but they'd have to sacrifice resolution for it.

I think the best source about PS5 specs might ironically be the slighlty biased towards Xbox Tom Warren. That was in June just before the E3.

I would be surprised if Microsoft talks exact specs tomorrow, but if they're confident they'll be the "fastest console in the world" again then maybe we'll see some solid spec details

Well, MS weren't confident apparently to have the "fastest" console then.

I remember Benji was one of the first to have posted a 12.9 TF PS5 but then he didn't trust his source enough. Also another guy who posted the same figure along with picture of a special Sony conference which the specs were talked about, but then proved to be false later on as the conference wasn't about PS5 at all. I just hope Benji did not get his info from that particular dude. I could be remember things wrong tho, it's been so long now.

IWell, MS weren't confident apparently to have the "fastest" console then.

It's sensible to be realistic and not overpromise. Regardless of your design and targets, you have no certainty of yields from any particular wafer until you mass produce and then even when your yields look good initially, you will want to endurance test chips for months and months. Only then do you really know how much viable silicon you're getting.

This is a refreshing change from past generations of superlative-laden rhetoric regarding performance. :yep2: It's like the console industry has now passed out of puberty and is no longer exaggerating about how big its dick is. :runaway:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the major platforms all seem to have grown up. As much as anything, I suppose it's the fact that a big portion of their audience are now people in their 30's and 40's, who have better things to do than wave their electrical appliances around, admonishing their neighbours.

Or maybe it's just that such social nonsense has changed, and now manifests as people competing with each other by way of posting pictures of newer, more creative ways of imbibing kale.

I remember Benji was one of the first to have posted a 12.9 TF PS5 but then he didn't trust his source enough. Also another guy who posted the same figure along with picture of a special Sony conference which the specs were talked about, but then proved to be false later on as the conference wasn't about PS5 at all. I just hope Benji did not get his info from that particular dude. I could be remember things wrong tho, it's been so long now.

Tom Warren said on Resetera that he was just repeating the Benji rumor in that tweet.

Last edited:
I'm just damn happy the baseline for nextgen is 12-13 TF unless Lockhart poops the party, of course it'll only go up from here for PCs. But again the difference in the high end PCs would still be only used for native 4k, higher framerate as per usual, any graphical difference would be way smaller to none compared to what PS4/XB1 or even the Pro/1X are to PCs now. PC can also improve on Raytracing but they'd have to sacrifice resolution for it.

Offcourse it will be like this gen, or all other gens basically, framerate, resolution, higher settings, perhaps improved ray tracing etc. You also pay more. I always have had pc and PS, it has been a very good combo for over 20+ years. The PS for the excellent exclusives, pc everything else.

Does Tom Warren work for MS?

Offcourse it will be like this gen, or all other gens basically, framerate, resolution, higher settings, perhaps improved ray tracing etc. You also pay more. I always have had pc and PS, it has been a very good combo for over 20+ years. The PS for the excellent exclusives, pc everything else.

Does Tom Warren work for MS?
He's a journalist for The Verge. I think a senior editor.

Of course the bias meter shifts for console warriors differently than for everyone else. If he's not hyping their favorite brand enough he must be a shill for the other brand.

He's a journalist for The Verge. I think a senior editor.

Of course the bias meter shifts for console warriors differently than for everyone else. If he's not hyping their favorite brand enough he must be a shill for the other brand.

Don't get it anyway with the specs wars as that won't make a console being a success or not. The og xbox was much stronger then the PS2 but it was a 24m against a 160m ratio in console sales.

If the next baseline is really that high, it will be terrible for PC gamers. Expect shoddy PC ports, because I don't think neither AMD nor Nvidia will offer PC gamers a ~13 TF card for that sweet ~300 bucks mass market gamer.

But I suppose that's why Lockhart exists.

If the next baseline is really that high, it will be terrible for PC gamers. Expect shoddy PC ports, because I don't think neither AMD nor Nvidia will offer PC gamers a ~13 TF card for that sweet ~300 bucks mass market gamer.

But I suppose that's why Lockhart exists.
How does Lockhart help PC?
Graphically it would scale on pc regardless of Lockhart.

You will still need to spend a lot on pc gpu to get better than xsx or ps5 early days.
Which isn't really any different than how the PC has been thought of anyway

Explain terrible, in that regard, it would be 'terrible' for anyone on current gen, as in the beginning, most will be left with PS4 and One s systems for a while. The biggest market will still be current gen for awhile, game devs won't just abanden them like that.

Aside from that, we will have to see how much one needs to spend to match a XSX or PS5, AMD's new GPU's will be quite powerfull i think, which means competition. Intel possibly also joining we might see better prices.

Explain terrible, in that regard, it would be 'terrible' for anyone on current gen, as in the beginning, most will be left with PS4 and One s systems for a while. The biggest market will still be current gen for awhile, game devs won't just abanden them like that.

Well then you concede we won't see true Next-gen for another couple years, baring Sony first-party games. MS also has a Windows ecosystem to support, it would take years for the majority of PC gamers to catch up to 12 TF. Ergo, the real baseline, Lockhart.

Intel possibly also joining we might see better prices.

Please don't make me laugh.

Well then you concede we won't see true Next-gen for another couple years, baring Sony first-party games. MS also has a Windows ecosystem to support, it would take years for the majority of PC gamers to catch up to 12 TF. Ergo, the real baseline, Lockhart.

Please don't make me laugh.

I think you forgot that games scale very well these days, look at DOOM, RDR2 etc, especially with current gen Pro and x, and the Switch, we see very good scaling across all platforms, from weak to strong. Also, we are still a year away from next gen release, AMD navi 2 looks promising. PC gamers probably don't need that 12TF either, as a 9/10TF RTX3000 most likely will match that. How long is it going to take for the 100million ps4 users to ''catch up'' with PS5 by upgrading to that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back