Sony PlayStation 5 Retail Shape? *spawn*

iroboto

Daft Funk
Legend
Supporter
I don't think they've given official numbers. I saw a picture that had dimensions in mm that I thought was official, but now I can't find it. Can't remember where I'd seen it.

I'm very interested in seeing the design of PS5. If they're really pushing consoles into the 300W+ territory we may end up with the two weirdest looking consoles in quite a while.
Lol indeed. Also looking forward to this

I don't think they've given official numbers. I saw a picture that had dimensions in mm that I thought was official, but now I can't find it. Can't remember where I'd seen it.

I'm very interested in seeing the design of PS5. If they're really pushing consoles into the 300W+ territory we may end up with the two weirdest looking consoles in quite a while.

Im praying the PS5 looks nothing like the dev kit.

My uncle that works at nintendo said the ps5 dev kit hinted at the form factor of reatil unit but in a different way then most would expect.

It will be a huge FIVE shaped box, but in arabic numerals instead of roman

For me this is the best concept so far, but I think the PS5 will somehow include a V for 5. How can Sony not use that opportunity? (There is a V shaped airflow outlet in this)
(Is it possible to shrink images in posts?)
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1406199/ps5-release-date-playstation-uk
ps5_design-render.jpg

Last edited:
That looks cool. Needs 30x cold rolled stainless steel skin & I might buy it.

Tommy McClain

For me this is the best concept so far, but I think the PS5 will somehow include a V for 5. How can Sony not use that opportunity? (There is a V shaped airflow outlet in this)
(Is it possible to shrink images in posts?)
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1406199/ps5-release-date-playstation-uk
ps5_design-render.jpg
It looks fine but it's a crippled arflow in service of design. The triangle makes it half the usable area. The slit is purely for design, and wastes more area. The important volumes should be based on where the motherboard is, and it can't be diagonally like that.

The devkit V is to allow stacking. It gets air from the front if you stack something on top. Much more area through this grill shape = lower velocity = lower noise.

Sony need to take a leaf out of Microsoft's design philosophy: Clean. Elegant. Practical. The One S (especially in white) and One X are the best looking consoles for 20+ years. In design not standing out can be better than being distinctive. I doubt many people buy consoles solely based on how they look.

Sony need to take a leaf out of Microsoft's design philosophy: Clean. Elegant. Practical. The One S (especially in white) and One X are the best looking consoles for 20+ years. In design not standing out can be better than being distinctive. I doubt many people buy consoles solely based on how they look.

Yes, I always preferred my consoles to be unobtrusive (says the person that bought the X360-S Reach Edition :p). Look nice without making you stare at it because it looks odd.

IMO,
  • PS2 fit that the original Xbox didn't
  • X360 was a bit odd but far less so than the fugly PS3.
  • XBO was really quite elegant in a don't stand out sort of way, while the parallelogram nature of the PS4 just struck me the wrong way.
Granted, all of this is down to personal preferences (and there's always exceptions like my getting the Reach designed X360-S). I also get why some people really dig consoles that stand out and demand that you look at them.

And perhaps it's because I'm a PC gamer, but I found the Xbox Series X tower to be the best looking console I've ever seen. Then again, maybe being a gamer has nothing to do with it. My significant other hates gaming, but found the Xbox Series X looks good enough to qualify being put in out living room without having to hide it. :p High praise? :D It's certainly the first time she didn't demand that any potential console be completely hidden from view (the living room HT cabinet has opaque glass doors).

Although she did demand that if it was in sight, the lit Xbox logo would have to be taped over and facing the wall. :p

Anyway, I do hope the PS5 devkit isn't indicative of what the actual retail unit would look like. While I don't plan on getting in on the next console generation, if I did, it'd be nice not to have that sort of an eye sore in the living room...even hidden away where I can't see it. :p But since I don't plan on getting either console, it's likely a moot point for me anyway.

Regards,
SB

Back