Paranoia - remake of old TRPG!

https://www.gamestop.com/video-game...paranoia-happiness-is-mandatory/11094888.html

Somehow, I just found out about this game last night. Coming to Steam, XB1, and PS4. I was a huge fan of the tabletop RPG back in the day, each of the squad members trying to backstab the other to prove they were the bigger traitor to Friend Computer.

Releasing Q1 next year, but there's already gameplay reviews on Youtube. Single player only is a bit of a downer, but it'd probably be too difficult otherwise.

Oh! It's already out on the Epic store. Completely missed this, and the utter lack of pre-release info might be telling.

My initial thought was that I can't see how such a conflict-driven and rules-light RPG system, where most of the fun stems from low risk improvised mayhem among the players themselves and with the GM, would work in a computer game setting.

Granted, such thoughts are treason and everyone loves the computer, but the only review I found also agrees.

Still, might give this a look when it turns up in a bundle or on a strong discount.

Played the TRPG a long time ago and it would be interesting to see how this translates to a computer game given it's so dependent on RP. Given that review and what I see of the game, it translates only in concept.

Oh! It's already out on the Epic store. Completely missed this, and the utter lack of pre-release info might be telling.

My initial thought was that I can't see how such a conflict-driven and rules-light RPG system, where most of the fun stems from low risk improvised mayhem among the players themselves and with the GM, would work in a computer game setting.

Granted, such thoughts are treason and everyone loves the computer, but the only review I found also agrees.

Still, might give this a look when it turns up in a bundle or on a strong discount.

Too bad it isn't on Steam yet otherwise we could get a better idea of what the game is like.

Regards,
SB

The problem, I think, is that while successfully adapted pen and paper games like Dungeons & Dragons are very rules and lore heavy, the tabletop version of Paranoia relies more heavily on multiple players engaging in creativity and improvisation

Watching gameplay vids on Youtube, it seems that even those familiar with the TRPG seem to be falling into the trap of playing this like a normal computer game. I think the game will sink or swim on how much freedom you are allowed to leverage the theme of the game.. the best comparison I can make is to VR games where the developers expect you to "screw around and try stuff" and reward you for doing so. I don't see anybody trying to get their teammates murdered so they don't rat on them at the end to Friend Computer or even properly utilizing their 6 clones to see if they can cycle through different mutations, or really trying to find ways to get into areas they're not supposed to be in.

Now,it's possible that the game is shallow and doesn't allow for those things.. but I'm not seeing anybody really even trying so far, and that's the heart (or should be) of the game.

Back