Fixing relatives/friends PCs/electronics, any funny stories?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I know I have a bunch, but this one happened yesterday and I just told an empty chat room about it so thought I'd share it here too. :)

[15:09] digisan: Oh, and I got a funny Mom story.
[15:09] * digisan 's mother is NOT good with tech.
[15:10] digisan: She had me come over and "fix" her TVs for her.
[15:10] digisan: She didn't know how to change to HDMI input, and can't remember it, so I named it "Cable".
[15:10] digisan: She's insanely happy now.
[15:11] digisan: Also she wanted us to "fix" her new tablet she got.
[15:11] digisan: It had just been logged in by 3 different people so we just wiped all the accounts but hers, again she's very happy.
[15:12] digisan: So she gave us her old one.
[15:13] digisan: She said my cousin had owned it for 12 years before he gave it to her so she figured she needed a new one.
[15:14] digisan: Her old one, the one my cousin "had for 12 years" was a Samsung Tab A T580, circa 2016
[15:14] digisan: The new one she just bought is a Samsung Tab A T585, circa 2016
[15:14] digisan: Only difference is one has 3G and one doesn't.
[15:15] digisan: The other one was overheating and apps would shut down on her, so she figured it was broke.
[15:15] digisan: Just loaded with bloatware and shite running in the background, we did a factory reset and it's all fine.
[15:15] digisan: She was going to throw it away. :|

An office computer was in dire need of an SSD, and we needed to clone the drive, but the pre-built desktop only had one SATA power connector, and I couldn’t easily replace the small PSU. The DVD drive had a different sort of power connector.

So in order to power the SSD for the cloning, I ended up hauling a spare computer to the work desk and used a power connector from its PSU and turned that machine on.

Of course, I didn’t have particularly long cables here, so it was... something.

ಠ_ಠ

I didn’t want to move the original drive to another computer to reduce any installation-license-driver shenanigans since we didn’t have any identical HW.

I couldn’t use another standard PSU because the infernal machine had special connectors - one of those compact towers from dell and things are made differently.

At the end of the day, the user was happy to have a Core i7-6700 not paired to a piece of shit.

At least the RAM upgrade was as simple as ramming the sticks in.

Last edited:
Nope.

(Don't think the cloning software would have worked properly over USB anyway)

Last edited:
What is some decent cloning software? I've never cloned a drive, I always do a reinstall...but I got an SSD and I'd love to put it in my wife's PC but she doesn't want me to reinstall her OS and have all the associated headaches. (And in fairness she's got a clean install of windows 10 that's up to date and running perfectly so I can't disagree)

Oh yea, also I'm in love with the tablet! Never had one, never saw the need but they're damned useful for portable entertainment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta get a cheap case for it to protect it, I refuse to take it out of the house until then.

Don't want to break it and I don't see any other practical ways to do it.

What is some decent cloning software? I've never cloned a drive, I always do a reinstall...but I got an SSD and I'd love to put it in my wife's PC but she doesn't want me to reinstall her OS and have all the associated headaches. (And in fairness she's got a clean install of windows 10 that's up to date and running perfectly so I can't disagree)

Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Not only is it great for cloning but also great for backups.

Some background
put a password on someones p.c (in the bios) so no one would get into it while she was away.
on her return I get a phone call "The password isnt working"

/me "what did you type"
"password" (whatever it was i forget)
so I check my notes to see if she's got the right password
she had, so i'm thinking maybe its case sensitive
I ask her if the caps lock is on
"how do I tell"
/me "the capslock light should be lit on the keyboard"
"the keyboard has no lights"
/me "ok lets try it both ways, upper and lower case"
still no success
/me "when you type the letters are little asterisks appearing on screen"