Intel progresses with Tiger Lake

Leovinus

Newcomer
Wccftech had an article up yesterday about some leaked Geekbench performance metrics on the new Intel Tiger Lake chip being prepared for the low power U series in the 15 to 25W TDP range. I have to say that the IPC improvements over Ice Lake seems to be a nice little bump. I can't wait to see ultra-portables embrace it.

Now I have to be honest, I don't keep up with all the news surrounding Intel and its roadmap. But has there been any suggestion that Intel might bite the bullet and back-port Ice or Tiger lake architecture designs to 14nm? So far as I know they have yet to get decent silicon at higher TDP's on their 10nm. Or is the goal here just to stretch Coffee Lake on the high end for another year until hopefully they crack the TDP barrier they've hit? I might be mixing up my lakes... and coves...

What the hell? The massive difference in clocks between base clock and boost clock. Are current cpus this different? Nearly 2GHz difference.

"The Intel Core i7-1165G7 features four cores, 8 threads that are clocked at a base frequency of 2.8 GHz, and a boost frequency of 4.7 GHz. The CPU features 12 MB of L3 and 5 MB of L2 cache"​

What the hell? The massive difference in clocks between base clock and boost clock. Are current cpus this different? Nearly 2GHz difference.

"The Intel Core i7-1165G7 features four cores, 8 threads that are clocked at a base frequency of 2.8 GHz, and a boost frequency of 4.7 GHz. The CPU features 12 MB of L3 and 5 MB of L2 cache"​
Very common for laptop parts.

Very common for laptop parts.
Yup. The implikation being that for anything other than a quick single-threaded burst (benchmark or Java-whatever), your performance will be far from peak. Which is still useful, mind you, but a limitation to keep in mind depending on usage for someone looking to replace a desktop system.

Yup. The implikation being that for anything other than a quick single-threaded burst (benchmark or Java-whatever), your performance will be far from peak. Which is still useful, mind you, but a limitation to keep in mind depending on usage for someone looking to replace a desktop system.
Even looking at GB4 results, the top score was with sustained 4.7 GHz and it seems to be an outlier, as others were running around 4.0/4.1 GHz.

Ref: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=1165g7

The small advances in peak performance seem to come at great cost in overall power consumption for Intel.

They really need catch up to TSMC in production capability.

Cheers

Not likely, AMD seem to be far more competitive these days. I don't think there'll be another decade in the wilderness.

I hope so. Lack of competition hurts us all. But it's also important to remember than after 3 generation of Ryzen: Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2, AMD has just cached up with a 6 year old Intel arch compromised by a lot of security issues. AMD is competitive because Intel has just been bumping clocks for the past 5 years.

Isn't part of problem that Intel's 10-nm can't compete with their own uber-refined 14nm process? I mean Rocket lake is actually a backport of their new architecture designed for 10nm. We've yet to see if increased competition leads to Intel unchained.

Last edited:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-35W-tiger-lake-CPUs-spotted
In Geekbench 5, the Core i7-11370H scored 1566 points in the single-core test and 5084 points in the multi-core test. The Core i5-11300H scored 1436 single-core and 4912 multi-core.

These scores are vastly superior to Intel's previous generation parts like the Core i5-10300H, the single-threaded scores alone --for both the i5 and i7, close in around the Ryzen 9 5900HX (AMD's flagship mobile CPU) and the desktop Ryzen 7 5800X. That is very remarkable coming from a mobile CPU and the high clock speeds should allow excellent gaming performance; on the multi-core side of things, performance is still quite good. Both Tiger Lake chips managed to beat out the Zen 2 based Ryzen 5 4600H with six cores by just 100-200 points. That is quite impressive given the Intel units are working with just four cores.

Back