Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

That's an intake fan. It pulls air into the system creating positive pressure which forces air out the vents in the case.

That's an intake fan. It pulls air into the system creating positive pressure which forces air out the vents in the case.

No it's most definitely an exhaust fan. Just look at the fan blades orientation and it spins clock wise.
B6QxkREi5qwTC4Ao.medium

Last edited:
I'm so confused. Isn't dust will still gets inside whether the insides become positive or negative air pressure?

Basically you need filters of some sort. If you use intake fans where air is pulled into the enclosure you can create positive pressure (air pressure is higher inside the enclosure than outside). But the air being pulled inside has to be clean. Or you’re just pulling in dusty ass air.

In theory, you could build a negative pressure system with filters and get the same result. Clean air in ensures no dust inside.

Given that the only thing moving in and out a console is air, negative or positive doesn’t matter as long as the air coming into the console is clean.

Last edited:
Hot air goes up. Making a vertical case and then forcing the air to go downwards seems a counterintuitive as you'd need extra power and noise to create the same airflow.

Tha PCB is probably vertical, aligned with one of the sides of the case and there's a large fan at the bottom, maybe with another one at the top.

Basically you need filters of some sort. If you use intake fans where air is pulled into the enclosure you can create positive pressure (air pressure is higher inside the enclosure than outside). But the air being pulled inside has to be clean. Or you’re just pulling in dusty ass air.

In theory, you could build a negative pressure system with filters and get the same result. Clean air in ensures no dust inside.

Given that the only thing moving in and out a console is air, negative or positive doesn’t matter as long as the air coming into the console is clean.

I'd assume that more filters means greater air resistance though (?) and subsequently you'll require more air pressure by using more fans and/or bigger fans and/or faster fans, meaning more noise/power/complexity.

I guess in an ideal world a console would have 1-2 fan/s that are as large as possible, spinning as fast as possible within reasonable noise constraints along with a dust repellent filter at the intake/s that provides a good trade off of air resistance vs dust capture while also being well secured but [easily] removable for a quick wipe/hoover. xD

I'd assume that more filters means greater air resistance though (?) and subsequently you'll require more air pressure by using more fans and/or bigger fans and/or faster fans, meaning more noise/power/complexity.

I guess in an ideal world a console would have 1-2 fan/s that are as large as possible, spinning as fast as possible within reasonable noise constraints along with a dust repellent filter at the intake/s that provides a good trade off of air resistance vs dust capture while also being well secured but [easily] removable for a quick wipe/hoover. xD

I imagine the speed of the fans are dictated by the temperatures inside the consoles. Dust will force the fans to spin faster over time regardless of being filtered or not. Since filters will force dust to localize in areas of direct air flow the cooling system will be forced to spin fans faster sooner but if the filters are close to the intake, it will maintenance easier.

The fans will have to contend with the resistance of the filters but I don’t think it will add a ton cost to the BOM or add a ton of noise.

The filters on the RV-03 don't restrict air flow significantly unless they are clogged with a lot of dust. That's with low RPM 180 mm fans. As they are easy to clean, that doesn't become a problem for me. You could say something similar about cleaning the inside of a case, but it is massively easier to clean the air filter than it is to clean out all the dust from heatsink fins, fan blades, MB components, etc.

If the Xbox Series X uses a single large low RPM fan then it similarly should also not be a problem. The only thing is, will MS bother to put in a dust filter? I can't think of too many consumer electronic devices that do, so it may be a moot point. But for people that don't mind sliding their own dust filter over the bottom, an intake fan would be fantastic for keeping the interior dust free.

Regards,
SB

Hot air goes up.
Slightly. It's not adding a lot of resistance to a fan wanting to blow against it, and the cooling works in horizontal as well as vertical orientations.
Tha PCB is probably vertical, aligned with one of the sides of the case and there's a large fan at the bottom, maybe with another one at the top.
It's certainly aligned with the side as just one sitting at the base would be too small and leave a lot of empty, useless box. ;) Could easily be a single fan though at the top, either pushing air down across the innards and out some exhaust at the bottom, or sucking air up through. Having a single intake fan with dust filter would be the most convenient solution for user maintenance.

Slightly. It's not adding a lot of resistance to a fan wanting to blow against it, and the cooling works in horizontal as well as vertical orientations.
Hot air going up is the basis for all kinds of energy generation and even some means of transportation...
Cooling system designers only push cold air down in slim horizontal cases where the air displacement is small, otherwise it would be too counter effective.

It's certainly aligned with the side as just one sitting at the base would be too small and leave a lot of empty, useless box. ;) Could easily be a single fan though at the top, either pushing air down across the innards and out some exhaust at the bottom, or sucking air up through.

Could be, but with a very long and vertically aligned case what makes the most sense is to push air towards the top, with heat transfer physics helping the airflow direction instead of going against it.

It's how other vertical case designs worked in the past, with really good results on their cooling system.

BHYNlZ3.jpg
op4WXUz.jpg

The trash bin Mac Pro was terrible for upgradeability and servicing, but it managed to cool down 350W at 40dBA, in a tiny form factor.

Having a single intake fan with dust filter would be the most convenient solution for user maintenance.
I don't think user maintenance will be on top of Microsoft's concerns.
I'm pretty sure cooling performance at acceptable noise levels will be much higher on their priority list.

No it's most definitely an exhaust fan. Just look at the fan blades orientation and it spins clock wise.
B6QxkREi5qwTC4Ao.medium
This is right, I don't know what I was thinking honestly. It's obviously an exhaust, and 360 S and E were the same. That will teach me to argue about airflow while eating.

Could be, but with a very long and vertically aligned case what makes the most sense is to push air towards the top, with heat transfer physics helping the airflow direction instead of going against it.
It really makes very little difference. The chimney effect only works on large scale, or very light, very delicate little toys. It's like the Coriolis effect - it exists on a large scale affecting weather patterns but not at the level of affecting which way water rotates down a plug-hole.

However, there's no reason to push air down rather than up, and up means not blasting air downwards onto the desk pushing papers around. ;)

It's how other vertical case designs worked in the past, with really good results on their cooling system.
The trash bin Mac Pro was terrible for upgradeability and servicing, but it managed to cool down 350W at 40dBA, in a tiny form factor.
I've already mentioned Mac Pro as indicative of a good design, but DSoup has pointed out issues including it not being as quiet as reported. It's also a form factor not reproduced in numbers, so there must be reasons why, although I hazard that's more a case of cost. I don't really know.

I don't think user maintenance will be on top of Microsoft's concerns.
I'm pretty sure cooling performance at acceptable noise levels will be much higher on their priority list.
Having a removable dust filter helps with that. But that could be positioned on the intake side.

For the record, I expect a single fan on 'top' drawing in air from the other side and exhausting - a single pull-through fan.

DF reckon the case is twice the size of an Xbox One X! And speculates 300W power draw.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

Also...
I asked Microsoft for clarification on its current-gen multiplier comparisons with Series X, but the firm declined to commit in the here and now to a precise figure. However, our information is that the GPU is indeed 12TF

Edit: This mockup certainly points to a mini tower scale!
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-vs-ps4-pro-vs-xbox-one-x-size-comparison

DF reckon the case is twice the size of an Xbox One X! And speculates 300W power draw.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

Also...

Edit: This mockup certainly points to a mini tower scale!
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-vs-ps4-pro-vs-xbox-one-x-size-comparison
Yep, full hardcore mode. People (also me) based on xox, xo, ps4, ps4pro die size and power consumption predict 8-9tf navi but (at least for Microsoft console) rules changed and I'm quite happy with that :)

I've already mentioned Mac Pro as indicative of a good design, but DSoup has pointed out issues including it not being as quiet as reported. It's also a form factor not reproduced in numbers, so there must be reasons why, although I hazard that's more a case of cost. I don't really know.

I do wonder how much dust had an impact on that. The tighter the cooling tolerances and the more elaborate the cooling setup...the larger effect dust accumulation has on cooling efficiency and thus noise. And the design didn't look like it would be easy to really clean all the dust out of it.

Anecdotally, noise levels on PS4 degraded significantly faster than it did with the XBO, for example.

Regards,
SB

Gotta wonder:

Lockhart - 2x2 SSAA of all XO titles (although you start to wonder why Scorpio lacks that capability)
Anaconda - Scorpio boost or 3x3 SSAA of unpatched titles

Or maybe they something something DLSS something Forza Horizon 3 test something bakakawfw aoinflflfffffffffffffff

Last edited:
Back