Windows 10 [2018]

Anyone else having Windows Explorer stability issues with the new version?
Mine seems to be semi-randomly crashing.
Have you enabled God Mode? I experienced similar problems when I tried using it. It was with Windows 10 1803, though.

Windows 10 properly detected and mount EXT4 partition of my android install

Whoa!

What new features I missed?

Jerry Berg aka Barnacules Nerdgasm has something to share about build quality of recent Windows 10 releases. Well, it looks like Microsoft laid off most of their Windows 10 testing team in Summer/Fall 2014, right at the start of the Windows Insider program! WTF Satya Nadella? No-one around to put a big sign on the wall that reads It's the testing, stupid ?!!

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/09/23/f...plains-why-bugs-in-windows-updates-increased/
https://borncity.com/win/2019/09/25/ex-microsoftler-erklrt-die-schlechte-windows-10-qualitt/
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/217126/this-is-why-windows-10-is-so-unreliable
etc.

I'm signing off the Windows Insider Preview right after the next release, enough is enough. The Microsoft Edge debacle, and all the problems with Cortana, Start Menu and UWP apps in general, with zillion negative Feedback Hub posts which go unread and unnoticed, did not seem to teach them a lesson...

PS. And I'm pretty sure Windows 10 does not support EXT4 filesystem out of the box, unless you install DiskInternals Linux Reader software which includes a filesystem filter driver.

Last edited:
Yup, basically one of the largest drawbacks of a significantly faster iteration time for Windows is that there is also significantly less time to thoroughly test Windows builds before release.

All those people being released on the testing team is just a by product of that.

While I like some of the things that Nadella has implemented over at Microsoft, from a Windows standpoint, I feel Ballmer was a much better CEO. While Windows iterations were far slower, they were also generally more robust and well tested. Bugs still slipped through, but not nearly to the extent that they have under Nadella.

Hall, a half baked Edge never would have been released under Ballmer. At the very least it would have been feature complete or mostly feature complete under Ballmer versus barely usable under Nadella.

Hell, IE 11 as neutered as it was compared to IE 9 was still a better browser than Edge in anything but speed. I still don't know why they didn't just use the new rendering engine they used in Edge for IE. Bleh.

Every single major release of Windows is now so incredibly buggy compared to Windows releases prior to Nadella. /sigh.

Hell, 1903 basically made Metro: Exodus unplayable on my machine when I finally allowed it to be installed on my machine (I had to finally despite the various reports of how 1903 was broken since Game Pass PC required it). Thankfully, at least WRT games the fallout hasn't been as bad as it was for Metro.

Regards,
SB

Is it Microsoft which likes distorted sound so much or Realtek? Every major update it sounds like a muddled mess on my laptop.

At least the driver has improved a bit, the previous versions of the driver didn't have any setting at all to turn off the processing and I had to downgrade the driver to some ancient version each and every time. Now I can just turn off signal enhancements.

Is it Microsoft which likes distorted sound so much or Realtek? Every major update it sounds like a muddled mess on my laptop.

At least the driver has improved a bit, the previous versions of the driver didn't have any setting at all to turn off the processing and I had to downgrade the driver to some ancient version each and every time. Now I can just turn off signal enhancements.

Yes, I got the same problem too.

Hmm. Have you tried to look around you? Maybe my cat was nearby

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F8YHUYYP4UF5XAMa7

The advertisements are back.:rolleyes:

Microsoft at it again, advertising Gmail in Windows 10 Mail points to Outlook.
Perhaps you already have noticed it, Microsoft has started select advertising in the Windows suite. For example, in your Windows 10 mail app, you'll now see 'Get Gmail on your phone'. As if that by itself isn't already annoying, Microsoft is falsely advertising up-to a level that could be seen borderline acceptable.

They have now injected links into their Windows 10 software suite on two levels, Mail and Calendar - and whatever you click, they are pointing to their own apps, even when you hit a 'get GMAIL' link you'll end up at outlook.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/microsoft-at-it-againadvertising-gmail-in-windows-10-mail-points-to-outlook.html

Uh.. Why Microsoft changed the audio control panel launch button AGAIN?

I mean the button that launch a classic, pre metro audio panel where you can set which audio devices as default, the sample rate, audio encoding (dts, lpcm, etc), audio effects (loudness, virtual surround, bass boost,, etc)

1803 1903 1909 all of them changes the button to launch that control panel :(

Edit: sure not a lot of people use that control panel, heck, I don't think most people even know it...

But then.. Why Microsoft even bothered to keep changing the button location...

You don't have to use these freakin' stupid metro apps to launch the Sound applet. Just type 'control' in the search box then select 'Sound' in the Recent list, or type 'mmsys' directly. This will execute Control.exe which will load the respective .CPL DLL files from \Windows\System32.

Right-click the audio icon -> Open Sound Properties -> Sound Control Panel under Related Settings. That's 3 clicks.

You don't have to use these freakin' stupid metro apps to launch the Sound applet. Just type 'control' in the search box then select 'Sound' in the Recent list, or type 'mmsys' directly. This will execute Control.exe which will load the respective .CPL DLL files from \Windows\System32.

Directly typing the exe name into a run box is the quick and consistent way to go.

That's what I did with msconfig, services.msc, and a few more

Because with clicking start, then typing... I can't just press enter.

The results are too inconsistent

There is no need to invoke the Run dialog (Win + R) - just place the cursor in the Search box to the right side of the Start button then type the full file name of the applet, i.e. 'mmsys.cpl', and press Enter - or type the name of the Control Panel executable, i.e. 'control', and either start it with Enter or select Sound from the list of applets in the pop-up window.

IMHO that's the minimum possible effort to run a command in any Microsoft-developed GUI shell since at least OS/2...

Last edited:

Hell, as soon as they got rid of the link to the control panel when you right click the Start Button, I immediately just put a shortcut to the control panel in my quick start bar. :p

Thankfully, MS haven't been silly enough to remove the control panel. All they've done is hidden it so that your average consumer won't go there.

For people that haven't already done it, it's easy. Just do as DmitryKo has mentioned to bring up the Control Panel app in the start menu (it'll be the big one at the top versus a list of things in the Control panel below it), then pin it to your start menu or taskbar. I pinned it to the taskbar and then moved it to the quick start bar.

Regards,
SB

There is no need to invoke the Run dialog (Win + R) - just place the cursor in the Search box to the right side of the Start button then type the full file name of the applet, i.e. 'mmsys.cpl', and press Enter - or type the name of the Control Panel executable, i.e. 'control', and either start it with Enter or select Sound from the list of applets in the pop-up window.

IMHO that's the minimum possible effort to run a command in any Microsoft-developed GUI shell since at least OS/2...

Its inconsistent and slow. Run is instant even on spinning rust :D

Hell, as soon as they got rid of the link to the control panel when you right click the Start Button, I immediately just put a shortcut to the control panel in my quick start bar. :p

Thankfully, MS haven't been silly enough to remove the control panel. All they've done is hidden it so that your average consumer won't go there.

For people that haven't already done it, it's easy. Just do as DmitryKo has mentioned to bring up the Control Panel app in the start menu (it'll be the big one at the top versus a list of things in the Control panel below it), then pin it to your start menu or taskbar. I pinned it to the taskbar and then moved it to the quick start bar.

Regards,
SB
Whats quick start bar?

Whats quick start bar?

It's a toolbar on the taskbar that used to be exposed by default in previous versions of Windows but is now kind of hidden.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4624-add-remove-quick-launch-toolbar-windows-10-a.html

I prefer it to pinning icons to the taskbar because it keeps them in a nice compact location. I also have it with small icons and no text so that it doesn't take up much space. Some other people prefer having a large quick launch location with large icons. All a matter of preference. :)

This is what mine looks like.

My taskbar is on a secondary 4k monitor in portrait orientation so, it's big and fat. :) Hmmm, I just noticed there's 2 icons for Potplayer in there, time to delete one.

Regards,
SB

Back