Gears Tactics @2020-04-28, @2020-11-10 [PC, XO, XBSX|S, XGP]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter

Gears Tactics is the fast-paced, turn-based strategy game from one of the most-acclaimed video game franchises – Gears of War. Outnumbered and fighting for survival, recruit and command your squad to hunt down an evil mastermind who makes monsters. Rise up and fight.​

Coming April 28, 2020 to Steam, Windows 10 & Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta): https://www.xbox.com/gears-tactics

Hopefully the mechanics are just as good if not better, and mods?

I'm curious about the weapon customization - that's something I've been wanting for a while in their mainline shooters (including Halo) just to change up the campaign dynamics or even something like Dead Space upgrade paths (sort of done with Jack in Gears 5, but... eh.)

I'm really hoping this turns out to be well done. I'm huge into turn based strategy games in the vein of the original X-Com. I doubt it'll be quite as good or detailed as the original, but even if it's more a copy of the new X-Com (good but disappointing at the same time), I'll still be quite satisfied.

Regards,
SB

Well, now that I've gotten to play it a bit, not only am I not disappointed, I'm REALLY impressed.

This isn't just some quickly put together game to try to cash in on the Gears franchise, it's a game that is not only well thought out but executed very well.

As the DF video mentions, it has the feel of a turn based Dawn of War 2. The combat is satisfying and flows well. Enemies have the ability to come at you with swarm like movements. It breaks away from feeling like each enemy is taking it's turn in order even if it's still basically doing that. Basically swarms feel like they are swarming you en masse. The larger units still move one at a time to give them a feeling of weight and importance.

It all comes together to make the game feel more "action like" than you would expect a turn based game to feel. It's extremely satisfying to prepare a layered overwatch killing field and then have a swarm of enemies rush into it and get absolutely mowed down.

The game is also more focused, again like Dawn of War 2, with a main mission storyline with side missions sprinkled between main missions.

There's also a lot of unit customizations when it comes to how units look, although weapons are specific to each class of soldier. This goes so far as to include renaming any soldier within the game. However, visual customization is more limited for the "Heroes" of the game and you can't rename them.

Overall, so far, it's extremely good.

Oh, and getting to hear Augustus "Cole Train" Cole yell out, "WOOOOO!" when using the intimidate skill? Priceless.

Regards,
SB

I'd prefer it if they showed the tile grid for movement. Feels too carefree and floaty compared to XCOM.

I honestly wouldn't mind it if they had copied the UX wholesale either, just to jump in without having to fight the controls, and just get on with the game/fun.

UX definitely needs Right Click as the back/ESC button.

Last edited:
Maybe they'll fix it. :p It's kinda irritating with how many sub-menus there are for the customization, so.... it seems kind of an oversight.

On a side note, I think it would have been more interesting if the beanie that Kait wore was actually Gabe's.

lolol why the hell did they map spacebar to Retry Mission at the end screen? What the fuck. People are WASD'ing this game, so who why make people shift hands over to ENTER ???

Last edited:
Finished the story. Not bad overall.

On a side note *ahem*, methinks they need to have a discussion about what constitutes "side missions" that are mandatory to proceed in the story. :|

And what's with the lol-huge roster to manage?

On a side note *ahem*, methinks they need to have a discussion about what constitutes "side missions" that are mandatory to proceed in the story. :|

Yeah, it's a neat concept but not executed particularly well, I think. I guess they are still "optional" in a way in that you don't have to do ALL of the available side missions. In fact you can't. But that's still a bit of a stretch I think.

That said, I still think the game was overall great. If they can learn from this and improve upon it for a follow-up game (or expansion) that would be fantastic.

I wouldn't mind a DLC, for example, that gave it more of a freeform type of gameplay like X-com. But not so much as like the later X-com DLCs (which dragged after a while for me).

The mechanics are superior to the modern X-Com incarnations, IMO, but the game/mission flow could use a little work.

Oh and one more thing I noticed. Textures take a LOT of time to load in at the start of a level. Since missions are level based and the entire level is loaded, I think this may be some work they are doing on taking advantage of the SSD tech in the XBSX. Reduce loading times by streaming in assets. I can imagine that on the XBSX you wouldn't see the textures slowing being loaded in as you enter the level due to the revised storage subsystem (hardware and API and other things).

It'll be interesting to see how DirectStorage is managed on the PC.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Common unreal engine problem wrt to the streaming. ;)

Yeah, there’s a solid foundation here for future titles/expansion. I hope they can recognize where they could improve mission flow and setup. :)

game is in my top 3 for the year so far. Certianly a great first outing in the genre. My ideal scenario is that they make a halo tactics next. Put that out in 2022 and then just start alternating between the franchises

ODSTactics would be neat. Maybe have you manage a colony ship ala Spirit of Fire (Halo Wars).

Gears Tactics is pretty dry with the loot boxes instead of having a base to manage (training, acquisitions, upgrades etc).

Last edited:
I've been playing this via Gamepass and overall I really like it. But the side missions become a bit annoying after the first act when you realize you're just re-doing the same tasks on the same maps over and over. I'd guess I'd dislike that less though if I didn't grind through it in three days.

Last edited:
Well, now that I've gotten to play it a bit, not only am I not disappointed, I'm REALLY impressed.

This isn't just some quickly put together game to try to cash in on the Gears franchise, it's a game that is not only well thought out but executed very well.

As the DF video mentions, it has the feel of a turn based Dawn of War 2. The combat is satisfying and flows well. Enemies have the ability to come at you with swarm like movements. It breaks away from feeling like each enemy is taking it's turn in order even if it's still basically doing that. Basically swarms feel like they are swarming you en masse. The larger units still move one at a time to give them a feeling of weight and importance.

It all comes together to make the game feel more "action like" than you would expect a turn based game to feel. It's extremely satisfying to prepare a layered overwatch killing field and then have a swarm of enemies rush into it and get absolutely mowed down.

The game is also more focused, again like Dawn of War 2, with a main mission storyline with side missions sprinkled between main missions.

There's also a lot of unit customizations when it comes to how units look, although weapons are specific to each class of soldier. This goes so far as to include renaming any soldier within the game. However, visual customization is more limited for the "Heroes" of the game and you can't rename them.

Overall, so far, it's extremely good.

Oh, and getting to hear Augustus "Cole Train" Cole yell out, "WOOOOO!" when using the intimidate skill? Priceless.

Regards,
SB

I started it last week, and I agree with everything here.

I'm a huge xcom fan, aaannnnd, while gow tactics have a lot of similarities of course (even the "going to mission" and going back kind of cinematics), it has enough differences to feel different and enjoy it for what it is. I enjoy it a lot. Now, my two next game after this are xcom chimera squad and Troubleshooter, so, yeah, I'll overdose with this genre, but whatever :eek:

Seems to also be coming to Xbox One consoles too.

Back