Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who do we have left to trust on a possible 13 TF PS5, Klee, Jason, Tom?

Klee said nothing had changed regarding his PS5 > XBSX statement post 12TF. Jason hasn't said anything other than he was glad that his > Stadia belief had proven correct post 12TF. Tom has only regurgitated a rumor going around about PS5 and has stated his tweet of it wasn't an endorsement.

That's about it. Nothing solid on PS5, ATM.

Sony is rather quiet after all those power boasting from MS, would a simple tweet like "just wait till you see ours" not suffice to steal some thunder if they really are more powerful? Makes me think there's a chance PS5 is indeed weaker. Throw us a bone Sony.

If this is true, then both consoles are absolute monsters without any discernible visual differences in the multiplatform games, and the B3D collective should be happy about it because it would really translate into a massive upgrade compared to the current mid-gens.

Call me old school, but I'll wait until some GPU X-ray micrographs teardowns appear before I hop on the insider teraflop train.

Sony is rather quiet after all those power boasting from MS, would a simple tweet like "just wait till you see ours" not suffice to steal some thunder if they really are more powerful? Makes me think there's a chance PS5 is indeed weaker. Throw us a bone Sony.

Yep, kind of last gen in reverse...MS looking confident.

Companies aren't typically reactionary in that manner. Impatient console warriors waiting for mud slinging ammo are (this statement wasn't directed towards you Ultra).

Smaller case which doesn't have the advantage of being a bespoke design;

Wasn't terrible and no water cooling, standard components (bar the mobo and PSU).

Don't get me wrong, I love an SFF built, but that does show off everything that's dreadful about them. That's a pretty much an open case that's been bent in half. Five fans, three of them doing very little except be annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I love an SFF built, but that does show off everything that's dreadful about them. That's a pretty much an open case that's been bent in half. Five fans, three of them doing very little except be annoying.

I'm just saying that the space inside the XBSX should be fine - this case is like half the size, imagine having the ability to build your console to the case rather than the case to off the shelf parts!

When was the last time Sony boasted about specs against Microsoft's offerings?
IIRC, not even when they had a pretty large performance advantage in 2013's consoles did they ever make a subject about comparing specs.

Call me old school, but I'll wait until some GPU X-ray micrographs teardowns appear before I hop on the insider teraflop train.
My comment was not on the insiders' legitimacy, just that we should all feel very happy about those specs if they come true.
Excellent CPU, GPU >12 TF with raytracing and much improved efficiency over GCN, fast SSD for minimum loading times which should also somewhat compensate for lower amounts of RAM..

Given the fab technology and general technological constraints for 2020, we couldn't reallistically ask for more, IMO.

The PS4 Slim has a motherboard about that size. Can't see XBSX needing more space for ram chips if the 16Gb rumour is true. Maybe more stepdown stuff due to higher SOC power requirements?

(XBoneX lost motherboard space to a tiny Master Chief riding a scorpion. Not quite sure what he'll be riding with the code name of Scarlett)

364b7102a3503ca8d97540ea911fa368--scarlett-ohara-bizarre.jpg

Klee strikes again.
Says Bingo to 64 CUs is 12.083TF. Dude is fully aware of the current state of affair I say.

That would seem like an awfully big chip. Rough estimate 250mm (5700) + 50% + ~75mm for CPU. I don't think they can get there without a newer process (N7P/N7+) and/or significant cuts in the micro-architecture like much smaller L3 caches. Then again with both a new process and some cutdown cache sizes they would probably be right at ~350mm. A 1475 MHz clock for the GPU is very reasonable at that size, far from the 2GHz clock rumors we've heard about.

My mind says don't get hyped about the 12TF, but that form factor says, it's built to handle and dissipate a high amount of heat.

IIRC, not even when they had a pretty large performance advantage in 2013's consoles did they ever make a subject about comparing specs.

Well they didn't need to as it was pretty clear and they went first driving home how powerful PS4 was.

Also, they did boast about how easy game sharing was on PS4 ;)

They used to say "most powerful next gen console" and "the best place to play" and so on, like in this commercial:

I rewatched the big press conferences introducing the current gen a while back and noticed that Sony didn't start using that sort of language until E3 2013.

The PS4 Slim has a motherboard about that size. Can't see XBSX needing more space for ram chips if the 16Gb rumour is true. Maybe more stepdown stuff due to higher SOC power requirements?

(XBoneX lost motherboard space to a tiny Master Chief riding a scorpion. Not quite sure what he'll be riding with the code name of Scarlett)
The really compact boards (laptop or gpu cards) often cost much more. More layers, expensive tooling for finer pitch, smaller parts, tiny hole sizes, burried vias, etc...

It's not the case with slim revisions, the reason thet are much leaner and cleaner could be because they had the time required for integrating it better. The launch ps4 is really an outlier.

Also, they did boast about how easy game sharing was on PS4 ;)
Oh they didn't pull any punches on that.
:LOL:

I just don't remember Sony making a big fuss about power in any promotional material for any 8th-gen offering they've had. Certainly not to the extent that Microsoft did about Scorpio or now Scarlett.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back