Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

I don't think it'll do MS that much harm. XBOne has had its last holiday selling season and everyone knows XBSX is coming next year. The XBSX target group are already saving on planning to buy, and no-one thinking of getting an XBox now on the cheap is going to hold off and get a SX instead. Hype only needs be drummed up a month or three before release, and you've nothing more to that than hardware reveal and a case shape, you should be worried!

My take:
- Good to see MS going back to their 360 roots with performance first
- VRS and DXR will be interesting to see if they give them a notable leg up on the PS5
- I expect another surprise at E3 as I doubt they'll blow their wad this early. Not some magic hidden die or some bs but more along the lines of software capabilities
- Naming doesn't matter much in the long run. People adapt quickly
- This will mean that the baseline for games is going to be pushed up significantly so even PC gamers will have much higher recommended specs which means we'll need to see more out of CPU and GPU on the PC market
- I expect a 2023 refresh when 5nm+ mass production is yield friendly. That should line up nicely with a Zen3+ upgrade and RDNA3 for a notable mid gen upgrade

Overall, it's hard to expect more out of them for a new gen. Well done.

My take:
- VRS and DXR will be interesting to see if they give them a notable leg up on the PS5
- I expect another surprise at E3 as I doubt they'll blow their wad this early. Not some magic hidden die or some bs but more along the lines of software capabilities
- This will mean that the baseline for games is going to be pushed up significantly so even PC gamers will have much higher recommended specs which means we'll need to see more out of CPU and GPU on the PC market
- I expect a 2023 refresh when 5nm+ mass production is yield friendly. That should line up nicely with a Zen3+ upgrade and RDNA3 for a notable mid gen upgrade

My thoughts exactly.

My take:

I think a relatively unlikely but plausible surprise would be that the SOC for Xbox Series X was an MCM design. Similar to Ryzen 3 where you can have separate CPU core chips with a unifying UnCore chip.

Except in this case, you would have potentially more than 1 GPU chiplet. So, for example, Lockhart could have one chiplet (6 TFLOP defective salvage chips at the rumored ~4 TFLOP) while Anaconda has 2 chiplets (6 TFLOP fully enabled chiplets). On PC with Dx12 Explicit Multi-adapter we see scaling in excess of 90% when a developer bothers to use it.

Unfortunately, in the PC space, it's generally not worth the effort as the vast majority of machines have just a single GPU, hence any effort to exploit explicit multi-adapter isn't generally worth it.

On consoles however, with their fixed hardware design a developer would be guaranteed a potentially large customer base which has multiple GPU packages.

Again, this is extremely unlikely, IMO, but at least in the console space Dx12's explicit multi-adapter can make commercial sense for developers. The large drawback and gamble for anyone attempting this with console hardware is the potential for developers just not using it. Like the ESRAM on XBO.

However, it would be a rather large surprise. :)

Regards,
SB

It looks like the shell including the top grill part is one single piece of material and looks to me that it just slides on up out of there.
Of course the shell needs to be removable for maintenance and repairs and so on, BUT...

What if the "shell" is swappaple like the face plates on Xbox 360?

Would be a really neat bonus feature and seeing as there is a lot of flat surface area to the shell it would be way more space where artist and designers could go to work compared to the very cramped and busy 360 face plates.

I’m mostly surprised there’s only one fan, I’d expect an intake personally, I was also hopeful of a cleanable filter
Have we seen the case from, all sides? You can only see three sides in the pic.

Curious to see the cooling system, I personally expect there to be a fan on the bottom portion of the case acting as an intake and pushing air up through a largeish vapor chamber heatsink with the hot air coming out of the top. One fan should be able to do it in a case like that where it's easy to control the direction of the airflow.

Curious to see the cooling system, I personally expect there to be a fan on the bottom portion of the case
I'm expecting it to be at the top and pull air up through the case. My reasoning is that the power connector needs to sit on the opposite side to the drive when its horizontal. Fan at the top maximises the potential fan diameter.

I'm expecting it to be at the top and pull air up through the case. My reasoning is that the power connector needs to sit on the opposite side to the drive when its horizontal. Fan at the top maximises the potential fan diameter.

Could be, I hope we get more information about it soon :)

This would be a bad idea (IMO) unless the intake vents aren't on the bottom. With the fan on top, that would create negative air pressure which would draw in air from every opening (like the optical drive). An intake fan at the bottom ensures all the air going in is from that area creating positive pressure inside. I suppose the biggest advantage of the latter would be if MS bother to put in any sort of dust filter as it would virtually eliminate most dust from getting into the enclosure, whereas with the former (fan on top) it would be almost impossible to prevent dust from getting in.

Regards,
SB

This would be a bad idea (IMO) unless the intake vents aren't on the bottom. With the fan on top, that would create negative air pressure which would draw in air from every opening (like the optical drive). An intake fan at the bottom ensures all the air going in is from that area creating positive pressure inside. I suppose the biggest advantage of the latter would be if MS bother to put in any sort of dust filter as it would virtually eliminate most dust from getting into the enclosure, whereas with the former (fan on top) it would be almost impossible to prevent dust from getting in.

Regards,
SB

I'm so confused. Isn't dust will still gets inside whether the insides become positive or negative air pressure?

Since xex can suspend and resume for multiple games, where do they store these games for resuming?

Is the suspended game sill in the RAM?

Back