Next-Gen Product Names? [2019 Edition]

Xbox Duo to go with Surface Duo?

Tommy McClain

So a folding Xbox? :D

Actually a transforming console would be kind of neato. Expands when running for better cooling. Compacts when off or asleep to make it less intrusive.

Nevermind, that's a horrible idea. :p

Regards,
SB

I’m still always a little confused of the current xbox name. I have to think, is the base console called Xbox X or Xbox One, of course it doesn’t take but a few seconds to figure out, but still... it just doesn’t come naturally like PS4 or Switch.
Now that they went back to 1, maybe for next Xbox... xbox²
Xbox Series X
...ok, now I'm even more confused

The worst is that they said it was named so because the name can be extended with variants, like xbox series x pro, xbox series x all digital.
It's becoming more frustrating than choosing the right car.

The worst is that they said it was named so because the name can be extended with variants, like xbox series x pro, xbox series x all digital.
It's becoming more frustrating than choosing the right car.

They still have this very american mindset of creating these barroque babel-towers of marketing derived jazzy word assemblages and expecting consumers to follow it. Super XXX ultra 4k extreme Plus™ may sound cool to the core audience of neckbeard gamers, but that kind of thing is ever more alienating to everyone else.

Wasn’t it speculated that Wii U failed partly because people thought it Wars just a revised Wii, not a next gen Nintendo console, because they were both called Wii.
When I see the name Xbox Series X, it sounds more like a current gen revision than next gen.

I think they would reserve the S for the inevitable refresh.

Lockhart can be the L or maybe they could bring back 'arcade', that worked out so well.

Voice control

'Sexbox on'

Last edited:
Xbox Series X
...ok, now I'm even more confused

Who wants to beholden to their competitor's naming convention? They want to write their own story.

I thought it was odd at first, but I think odd is what they're good at. To me just incrementing the number at the end is boring. Nothing boring about Series X. Can't wait to see how that helps them going forward.

Tommy McClain

It also allows them to do something easier for rolling generations and upgrades, such as:

Xbox Series X 2020
Xbox Series X 2023
Xbox Series X 2026

So, do you guys expect Lockhart to be called Xbox Series S?

I was more thinking along the lines of Xbox Series X indicating a range of consoles.

That could mean that the name could get a bit clunky though. Kind of like phone names.

Pixel 3, Pixel 3a.
iPhone X, iPhone XR

So, for example, it could be something like

Xbox Series X
  • Xbox XL
  • Xbox XS
  • Xbox XLR
  • Etc.
The name of each individual console doesn't necessarily have to be Xbox Series X(something) or Xbox Series (something).

Alternatively they could go clunky and do
  • Xbox Series X Elite edition.
  • Xbox Series X Home edition.
  • Xbox Series X New edition (when the shunk version comes out. :p)
Or they could get a little silly.
  • Xbox Series X Small edition
  • Xbox Series X Big edition
  • Xbox Series X Bigger edition
  • Xbox Series X Mine is Bigger than Yours editions :p
Anyway, I just think it'd be weird if they had Xbox Series S in addition to Xbox Series X when Xbox Series X kind of implies multiple consoles under that brand (Xbox Series X).

Regards,
SB

Back