Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep usually devbox have get the silicon lottery of the chips. Xb1x devkits had 44CU / 44CU enabled chips.

If the cream of the crop chips selected for PS5 has only 77% of its CUs active, then AMD/TSMC fucked up, because it's about 6 months away from full production...

Also when was the last time a GPU had over 23% of its CUs deactivated haha.
In previous records TSMC improves yield very quickly so I don't really concern.

One more possibility is that SONY doesn't want to show how many real TFs they may have.
So they deliberately only activate 40CUs even they can activate some more CUs.

One more possibility is that SONY doesn't want to show how many real TFs they may have.

MS in response can activate their discrete auxiliary GPU.

Last edited:

That is the sort of silly hypothesis people start coming up with in the loony times between gens that are only feasible when one is reaching very very far for something one wishes to believe. Sony and MS migh be very competitive, but this is still not the cold war. They are not playing 4D chess with each other to that extent. They just wanna launch a good working product and that is hard enough on it's own.

MS being late to bringing out a SDK wasn't to mess with heads; they made some decisions that likely resulted in delaying the kit.

It's not about power. It's about power and price and ecosystem, game library, services etc.
don't give into the hype; and don't give into 'fear of missing out'. As someone who comes from PC, decided to try a full generation of gaming on XBO and then to X1X. Yea, the whole 900 vs 1080p gate; it was whatever. It wasn't really that bothersome as many would make it. We joked about being 720p apologists and shit; but aside from some friendly laughs, end of the day you get used to shitty frame rates and shitty resolution. Doesn't take away from the gameplay one bit.

games before resolution/graphics.

D90crK4UIAAdNnI

D90c0H9U4AAJTN8
Because Sony has never misled us before...

https://metro.co.uk/2013/01/21/why-go-first-says-sony-boss-of-playstation-4-3360338/

https://www.wired.com/2013/01/playstation-meeting-2013/

...oh

Last edited:
I don't understand the point of Sony making AMD obfuscate the fab process of the PS5 during a CES keynote...

It's not like MS won't be on the same fab, or that they can easily switch if not on the same one.

My understanding of the fabrication process (which is admittingly limited) is that it is not trivial to switch between either fabs themselves or even a new process node within the same fab.

I don't understand the point of Sony making AMD obfuscate the fab process of the PS5 during a CES keynote...

It's not like MS won't be on the same fab, or that they can easily switch if not on the same one.
At this point, it’s obvious they’re not using “Navi” as we know it. What else is lost in generalities?

My understanding of the fabrication process (which is admittingly limited) is that it is not trivial to switch between either fabs themselves or even a new process node within the same fab.

That's what I was saying. If MS is not 7nm+ and Sony is there is nothing MS can do about it.

At this point, it’s obvious they’re not using “Navi” as we know it. What else is lost in generalities?

It's either 7nm or it's not. If you're going to question this then might as well question if PS5 has an octocore Zen then, because Sony might be understating it to surprise MS later.

That is the sort of silly hypothesis people start coming up with in the loony times between gens that are only feasible when one is reaching very very far for something one wishes to believe. Sony and MS migh be very competitive, but this is still not the cold war. They are not playing 4D chess with each other to that extent. They just wanna launch a good working product and that is hard enough on it's own.

Yeah it's important to remember this.
One console doesn't "win" by killing the other one.
To these companies winning is defined by a successful and profitable product over 7-10 year lifespan.
If next-gen Xbox makes 400m profit, and PS5 makes 300m profit, both companies will be happy.
(success is a bit more complicated for MS, since they may also generate revenue from other attached, services like azure, xcloud, etc..)

I have to say that it's just because I try to believe 40CUs rumor as well as other insider's rumor, so I give a possibility that the APU may be not in full-speed which is technically possible and reasonable, so the target spec can be higher than 10.7TF.

Since you say it is a silly hypothesis, would you guarantee the info about 40CUs@2GHz?

It's either 7nm or it's not. If you're going to question this then might as well question if PS5 has an octocore Zen then, because Sony might be understating it to surprise MS later.
Nope. 8 core stated is unambiguous, and that’s been repeated in print multiple times.

Without the node names N7, N7P, or N7+, there is ambiguity when you say “7 nm.”

The likelihood is of course low due to logistics and cost factors, but I am increasingly alarmed by how little skepticism is being used in this thread when people are going around making explicit claims with nary a source to substantiate anything. Specifically - it seems things are allowed to persist in a technical thread as opposed to the “baseless” thread solely because they make explicit numerical claims.

Last edited:
Performance leaks/claims/"reports" all seem to point that consoles will be fairly similar. IMO even if one gets 20% slower GPU, that won't impact game development [most likely just output resolution and few visual tweaks].

But what I did found interesting is that all the recent Kotaku/WindowsCentral reports did not hype up Xbox SSD a lot [just brief mentions], while Sony's solution still remains shrouded in mystery.

@Proelite Any info about devkit storage systems? Heck, I would be glad if some dev/journo leaked that PS5 has finally fixed anisotropic filtering. :LOL:

I have to say that it's just because I try to believe 40CUs rumor as well as other insider's rumor, so I give a possibility that the APU may be not in full-speed which is technically possible and reasonable, so the target spec can be higher than 10.7TF.

Since you say it is a silly hypothesis, would you guarantee the info about 40CUs@2GHz?

What I considered silly was the suggestion SONY was deliberatly playing mind games with their devkits to try and misguide MS, not any dpecific number. I consider all number speculations near arbitrary right now and there are no rumors or leaks in circulation right now that I give much thought to. As for 40CUs@2.0Ghz, I've just bet $10 against it in the friendly wager thread, just for fun. You are invited to participate too if you want.

Last edited:
Nope. 8 core stated is unambiguous, and that’s been repeated in print multiple times.

Without the node names N7, N7P, or N7+, there is ambiguity when you say “7 nm.”

The likelihood is of course low due to logistics and cost factors, but I am increasingly alarmed by how little skepticism is being used in this thread when people are going around making explicit claims with nary a source to substantiate anything. Specifically - it seems things are allowed to persist in a technical thread as opposed to the “baseless” thread solely because they make explicit numerical claims.

ammd-rdna2-2020.jpg

0a56b8099a5247d3fcca707eafb3d43e_XL.jpg

AMD-Zen-Roadmap.png

Ambiguity at AMD is a Sony exclusive! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back