The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I'm enjoying His Dark Materials. I've never read the books (or had even a sketchy knowledge of the plot), but it seems to be pretty well done, the usual caveat being that some of the kid actors aren't very good. The girl playing Lyra is decent, however, and some very good acting chops in the other characters. It's nice to have no clue of what is likely to happen next in a plot!

Watched it.
Still super good.

Did kinda feel a bit static though, just follows the same 4 nearly independant plot lines through the whole season.
Not a huge fan that the one planet that got randomly colonised out of 1300 just happens to be a key system that the detective/protomatter wants to investigate

I think this whole 'releasing entire Season simultaneously' thing needs to stop though.
You get a day or two of ecstasy where you binge-watch the just-released Season and then nothing for a year/until the next show releases a Season.
It loses the week between episodes where you relive/theorise with friends on what happened that episode & what happens next.
Now you come in on Monday:
-did you watch show x?
~yeah, watched it on Saturday, awesome
-yeah same, so good
~yeah *sips coffee & goes back to work*
I miss the antici...

...pation :cry:

And don't give me no 'self control' BS, some things just need to be externally controlled ok :runaway:

Watched it.
Still super good.

Did kinda feel a bit static though, just follows the same 4 nearly independant plot lines through the whole season.
Not a huge fan that the one planet that got randomly colonised out of 1300 just happens to be a key system that the detective/protomatter wants to investigate

...pation :cry:

And don't give me no 'self control' BS, some things just need to be externally controlled ok :runaway:

I haven't read any of the books.
But I was a bit disappointed in the ending. The next season will probably begin with the Belters vs Earth conflict again, which will just feel like more of the same. It's hard for me to get hyped up for that.
I also don't get the point of Ashford's sacrifice. He could have blown the ship up instead of boarding it. And he could easily have killed Marco when he held him at gunpoint.

I have no friends really so I prefer this option ;).

And besides of course some weeks I have more time for tv than others ...

I also prefer the way Netflix and Prime do it out of principle.
You just feel used when HBO for instance releases one episode at a time, clearly wanting you to keep your subscription active without pause for the whole duration. For that matter, I still have Netflix and Prime active but not HBO.

The Witcher on Netflix is pretty good. I gotta admit it. It's fairly decent. Stands well on it's own.

Agreed although I've only seen episode one. I like that in terms of sound and music they've obviously taken cues from CDPR's games. It immediately feels familiar having played The Wild Hunt.

Agreed although I've only seen episode one. I like that in terms of sound and music they've obviously taken cues from CDPR's games. It immediately feels familiar having played The Wild Hunt.
Yup :) lol lots of cues from the video game. But because I haven’t read the books, I’ve no clue how many cues were taken from the books.

The Witcher was very easy to get into watching. I am 2 episodes in and liking what I have seen. There still seems to be a lot of names of places and people I'm trying to keep straight but I don't feel overwhelmed. It's good they dont straight out have a narrator giving you the entire background, they're doing a good job of feeding bits and pieces to you without feeling like its forced.

They've done a far better job of drawing me in than The Watchmen. So far with 1.5 episodes of Watchmen, it seems way overrated. I dont know when I'll even bother getting back to it. So many better series available like The Witcher, His Dark Materials, and The Expanse.

Holy F+^%#, Morning Show on Apple TV turned out amaaazing. That episode 10 ...

I first thought For All Mankind was going to be the better of the two but that seems unlikely now.

I also enjoyed the first episode of the Witcher.

The Witcher was very easy to get into watching. I am 2 episodes in and liking what I have seen. There still seems to be a lot of names of places and people I'm trying to keep straight but I don't feel overwhelmed. It's good they dont straight out have a narrator giving you the entire background, they're doing a good job of feeding bits and pieces to you without feeling like its forced.

Also two episodes in. It feels like they are starting early in Geralt's story (i.e. the butcher of Blaviken) but Ciri's and Yennefer's apparent age casts the exact timeline in question. It feels like they've deviated from the games and the books a little, which is fine by me. It'd be boring if they just translated the games or books into a TV screenplay.

Also two episodes in. It feels like they are starting early in Geralt's story (i.e. the butcher of Blaviken) but Ciri's and Yennefer's apparent age casts the exact timeline in question. It feels like they've deviated from the games and the books a little, which is fine by me. It'd be boring if they just translated the games or books into a TV screenplay.
Had no idea Yen started out that way. It does look like it pre-dates a lot of what I know from the Witcher. I like it.
Sword play has been excellent. I feel like they lifted a lot of that from the games. But it’s really well done to see it in live action.

Had no idea Yen started out that way. It does look like it pre-dates a lot of what I know from the Witcher. I like it.

Yen's beginnings are referenced in the book The Last Wish, which I read after playing The Wild Hunt which AFAIR did not mention this. And having seen more episodes, much of the TV series is from that book.

Sword play has been excellent. I feel like they lifted a lot of that from the games. But it’s really well done to see it in live action.
Yeah, the fight choreography is good. I'm stlll perplexed by the timeline, Yen look's younger as does Geralt but Ciri seems older. It's not hugely important to the story but I'm interested to see where it goes.

Just finished. I’ll keep my mouth shut for a while. Good season ending. I hope they make more

I also ended up completely binging it. There is a thread in the story they have to be careful not to over rely on lest they make the whole story arch and whatever happens a complete puppet show but other than that it is really good. It stands on its own and that the show is based on a game barely matters.

Back