Retail PS5 GPU Spec friendly wager [2019-12-10] *spawn*

I vote against.
$10 of donation if I lose.

To clarify, I expect the PS5 to have a compute throughput of at least 11.1 TFLOPs.
Now that I made the calculations, this would be possible with 40 CUs at >=2.17GHz.

Regardless, if the specs still fall within @Proelite 's range of [36;40] CUs at [1.8;2.2]GHz, I'll still make the $10 donation.

Is that reveal hardware, or release hardware? Because we sometimes see slight clock changes for release.
should be reveal, it wouldn't be fair to Proelite if they are making last second changes to a 'written' document because yields turned out better than expected.

Navi 10 at 2 Ghz is an oven. RDNA2 should be much more efficient for these clocks to be feasible.Something tells me Sony is trying to play MS. It would be funny if Cerny gets it again. The only rumor I still believe is the HBM2 one, the only one with concrete and unknown data.

Navi 10 at 2 Ghz is an oven. RDNA2 should be much more efficient for these clocks to be feasible.Something tells me Sony is trying to play MS. It would be funny if Cerny gets it again. The only rumor I still believe is the HBM2 one, the only one with concrete and unknown data.

You mean the one that also has Samsung 7nm euv slim PS4 in fall 2019?

should be reveal, it wouldn't be fair to Proelite if they are making last second changes to a 'written' document because yields turned out better than expected.

My 1.8 to 2.2 ghz range should cover even the most extreme clock tweaks haha.

You mean the one that also has Samsung 7nm euv slim PS4 in fall 2019?
This one:

- 24 GB RAM in total (20 GB usable by games)
- 8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2 - Sony got "amazing" deal for HBM - in part due to them buying up bad chips from other customers which can't run higher then 1.6 Gbps while keeping 1.2v.
- HBM is expected to scale down in price a lot more than GDDR6 over the console lifetime
-Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix already shifting part of their capacity towards HBM due to falling NAND prices -
Sony will be one of the first high volume customers of TSMCs InFO_MS when mass production starts later this year (normal InFo already used by Apple in their iPhone)
- InFO_MS brings down the cost compared to traditional silicon interposers - has thermal and performance advantage as well - InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v
- HBM is more power efficient compared to GDDR6 - the savings were invested into more GPU power - additional 16 GB in form of DDR4 @ 256 bit for 102.4 GB/sec
. - 4 GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12 GB usable by games
- memory automatically managed by HBCC and appears as 20 GB to the developers
- HBCC manages streaming of game data from storage as well - developers can use the API to take control if they choose and manage the memory and storage streaming themselves
- memory solution alleviates problems found in PS4 - namely that CPU bandwidth reduces GPU bandwidth disproportionately
- 2 stacks of HBM have 512 banks (more banks = fewer conflicts and higher utilization)
- GDDR6 better than GDDR5 and GDDR5x in that regard but still less banks than HBM - at the same time trying to keep CPU memory access to slower DDR4
- very satisfied with decision to use two kinds of memory for price to performance reasons

This one:

- 24 GB RAM in total (20 GB usable by games)
- 8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2 - Sony got "amazing" deal for HBM - in part due to them buying up bad chips from other customers which can't run higher then 1.6 Gbps while keeping 1.2v.
- HBM is expected to scale down in price a lot more than GDDR6 over the console lifetime
-Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix already shifting part of their capacity towards HBM due to falling NAND prices -
Sony will be one of the first high volume customers of TSMCs InFO_MS when mass production starts later this year (normal InFo already used by Apple in their iPhone)
- InFO_MS brings down the cost compared to traditional silicon interposers - has thermal and performance advantage as well - InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v
- HBM is more power efficient compared to GDDR6 - the savings were invested into more GPU power - additional 16 GB in form of DDR4 @ 256 bit for 102.4 GB/sec
. - 4 GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12 GB usable by games
- memory automatically managed by HBCC and appears as 20 GB to the developers
- HBCC manages streaming of game data from storage as well - developers can use the API to take control if they choose and manage the memory and storage streaming themselves
- memory solution alleviates problems found in PS4 - namely that CPU bandwidth reduces GPU bandwidth disproportionately
- 2 stacks of HBM have 512 banks (more banks = fewer conflicts and higher utilization)
- GDDR6 better than GDDR5 and GDDR5x in that regard but still less banks than HBM - at the same time trying to keep CPU memory access to slower DDR4
- very satisfied with decision to use two kinds of memory for price to performance reasons

The same leaker in the reddit thread posted about PS4 super slim using samsung 7nm euv. Both his leaks were deleted, and I can't find the text for his other leak.

https://segmentnext.com/2019/04/22/playstation-4-super-slim-2019/

"According to the leak, the upcoming Super Slim model of PS4 will arrive later this year and its retail price is going to be 199 Euros, which is less than the current price of PlayStation 3 Slim model. The price can be possibly reduced by decreasing system storage that the console is going to offer.

The built-in processor of the super slim is manufactured with the 7-nm process (compared to 16nm of Slim). The processor’s die size is mentioned to be 110mm²."

The Beyond 3D direct paypal address is paypal@gpu.tools

There isn't a single donation system anymore on B3D, the alternative being a 12 month subscription I guess?

I'm going to bet £10 on 48 CUs @ max 2.0Ghz on release hardware. Max because developers would be able to balance GPU frequency with CPU frequency according to needs, in order to maximize performance per watt, rather than running everything at full tilt. Usage of fast SSD storage could help mitigate performance impacts of doing this on the fly. Expecting developers to rarely use the 2.0 GHz outside of in game cutscenes where CPU is less busy. Average in-game clock would be 1.6Ghz. Do I have any source? None whatsoever :D

Last edited:
I'm going to bet £10 on 48 CUs @ max 2.0Ghz on release hardware. Max because developers would be able to balance GPU frequency with CPU frequency according to needs, in order to maximize performance per watt, rather than running everything at full tilt. Usage of fast SSD storage could help mitigate performance impacts of doing this on the fly. Expecting developers to rarely use the 2.0 GHz outside of in game cutscenes where CPU is less busy. Average in-game clock would be 1.6Ghz. Do I have any source? None whatsoever :D
48 activated CUs is my final bet too (current devkit and retail). Will be clocked at around 2.1ghz (locked) for retail thanks to 7nm EUV and secret sauce cooling (both sides will be cooled). Then around 12.9tf for the retail machine which is about 7% more than 12tf.

I have a theory that those specs should even fit with Gonzalo 1.8ghz benchmark 20k+ score. I will explain later my theory why, but after @Proelite has lost his bet. I don't want to give him too much information. :devilish:

@Proelite are you sure about that $100k bet ? :mrgreen:

48 activated CUs is my final bet too (current devkit and retail). Will be clocked at around 2.1ghz (locked) for retail thanks to 7nm EUV and secret sauce cooling (both sides will be cooled). Then around 12.9tf for the retail machine which is about 7% more than 12tf.

I have a theory that those specs should even fit with Gonzalo 1.8ghz benchmark 20k+ score. I will explain later my theory why, but after @Proelite has lost his bet. I don't want to give him too much information. :devilish:

@Proelite are you sure about that $100k bet ? :mrgreen:

Of course I'll bet $100k, but obviously there is no online third party capable of overseeing that! If you know one let me know tho.

@Shifty Geezer what's the maximum that one can bet to contribute to b3d?

@Shifty Geezer what's the maximum that one can bet to contribute to b3d?
...I can't see any reason for a maximum. If someone wants to bet a $1 million donation, that'd go some way towards the costs of our next Annual Moderator Vegas Extravaganza.

For a $100k bet, you'd need an escrow service. I suppose someone trustworthy, with years of presence on B3D, and a ridiculously large post count, could take hold of both parties' $100k and confirm they have received both parties' money. Then that person could not disappear strangely never to be seen again but instead pay the whole $200k to whoever wins. That's definitely a really sensible idea. :yep2:

...I can't see any reason for a maximum. If someone wants to bet a $1 million donation, that'd go some way towards the costs of our next Annual Moderator Vegas Extravaganza.

For a $100k bet, you'd need an escrow service. I suppose someone trustworthy, with years of presence on B3D, and a ridiculously large post count, could take hold of both parties' $100k and confirm they have received both parties' money. Then that person could not disappear strangely never to be seen again but instead pay the whole $200k to whoever wins. That's definitely a really sensible idea. :yep2:

Haha.

@Globalisateur what's the maximum you're willing to seriously contribute to B3d? Emphasis on serious!
Seems like the limit for single paypal transaction is $10k. Are you up for $10k donation bet? I do whatever you can handle.

Back