Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

does the rift and other vr headsets have this problem ?

Nope. They're not detected as monitors, so they're completely independent of what displays you're otherwise using. That PSVR issue is because they're hacking in support by mirroring, it seems. Sounds similar to the old DK1/DK2 days before their runtimes moved to directly driving the HMD.

Thanks....
ps:wouldnt a custom resolution above what my monitor can physically do
damage it in any way ? (I remember out of range error's on crt's)

Isn't it pretty self evident that Davros wants to try VR without shelling out a lot of money, and PSVR (2nd hand, £100 a pop in his local pawn store) is an economical way do that, but he doesn't own a PS4, so getting it to work on a PC is a reasonable plan?

The economical and reasonable thing to do would be to try Google cardboard if he wants to see what 3DOF VR looks like.

yeah if 6dof is out of the question with PSVR on PC i don't see the point, just buy an occulus go which also has mods to work on PC.
a cheap bad VR first experience is still a bad experience.
Or buy a cheap PS4 with the cheap PSVR, it's all plugin and play
Or then try to find some demo setup near you.

Isn't it pretty self evident that Davros wants to try VR without shelling out a lot of money, and PSVR (2nd hand, £100 a pop in his local pawn store) is an economical way do that, but he doesn't own a PS4, so getting it to work on a PC is a reasonable plan?

Yes if he's also willing to buy 2 ps3 cameras

Without that, the 6dof via regular Webcam on trinus is laggy and buggy

People are just saying that a bad experience is still a bad experience even if it was cheap, which seems a reasonable thing to point out.

Thanks....
ps:wouldnt a custom resolution above what my monitor can physically do
damage it in any way ? (I remember out of range error's on crt's)

Nah. You set it up so the GPU will scale the output to the monitor's native resolution. You just set the resolution on the top part of the custom resolution panel and leave the timings at the default. This is the old way to get output supersampling (now known as Nvidia DSR). It looks excellent if you run 2x your monitor on both horizontal and vertical resolution. Kinda like 4x ordered grid SSAA.

Last edited:
It's not simple to extend the Reverb's display port. 6ft and 3ft cables both sparkling. Gonna try a active repeater...

Another quirk is my PC won't wake from sleep or boot if the Reverb DP is connected. The display driver locks up in Windows on wake up, and I suppose it doesn't POST correctly on cold boot. It seems my GTX 1080 doesn't like initialising with it. Must have to do with how it doesn't get detected as a display like a normal DP device.

Last edited:
How long do people think it will be until a new rift is released

2-4years if I had to bet. It might be there is no new rift. Only quest2 that works for every use case.

At that time I would expect significantly higher resolution and eye tracking+foveated rendering to be able to use that higher resolution smartly.

I have to also guess that I wouldn't be surprised if oculus released a compute box with battery and computeless ar headset and computeless vr headset.

if you use pc just get the vr headset. If you want ar or vr standalone headset buy the headset and compute box. Then later on one could upgrade on per module basis. This would be great and have also nice reuse. Perhaps computebox could have more power and battery than is realistic with quest like integrated solution.

I think there's going to need to be quite a leap in technology, either of the VR headset itself, or from graphics cards to be able to support it. The brute force approach that the PiMax headsets are going for seem to be reaching there limits, and without enough advances in eye tracking / foveated rendering we're going to stall for a while.

Yeah, it feels like VR has nowhere to go until foveated rendering is real. That coupled with headsets that work for everyone are needed to make VR hit the universal spot. Currently, it's too niche because the experience is too compromised, in experience and/or cost.

VR phase one was the 80 when it was 'possible' with CRTs strapped to the head
VR phase two was the 2010 when Lucky made his cheap headset and used software to fix the issues (and then forget all that and built an expensive headset)
Phase two point one was a rush of cheap and nasty mobile-phone headsets to give people a tiny taste of what VR might one-day promise without shelling out. That fad died
Phase three will be when we can draw the world and view it crisply, like real life, in a portable solution. We might get precursors before than, but the public will shy away until there's something 'new' about it. It needs to be 'drop into a new world'.

I guess control is a limiting factor for VR too. Perhaps perfect inside-out hand tracking is essential? But then what about ambulation?

Yeah, it feels like VR has nowhere to go until foveated rendering is real. That coupled with headsets that work for everyone are needed to make VR hit the universal spot. Currently, it's too niche because the experience is too compromised, in experience and/or cost.

VR phase one was the 80 when it was 'possible' with CRTs strapped to the head
VR phase two was the 2010 when Lucky made his cheap headset and used software to fix the issues (and then forget all that and built an expensive headset)
Phase two point one was a rush of cheap and nasty mobile-phone headsets to give people a tiny taste of what VR might one-day promise without shelling out. That fad died
Phase three will be when we can draw the world and view it crisply, like real life, in a portable solution. We might get precursors before than, but the public will shy away until there's something 'new' about it. It needs to be 'drop into a new world'.

I guess control is a limiting factor for VR too. Perhaps perfect inside-out hand tracking is essential? But then what about ambulation?

oculus quest now have auto hand tracking, and people says it feels good. No need to look for the controllers for certain stuff. I have not tried it. i think i even hadnt update my quest

I am more convinced its more about optics than displays, actually you kind of want displays to complement optics there s no other way, the Valve index logo supposed to symbolize multi element lens . So, Shifty's phase two is a kind of an odd one.
For example doubtful foveated stuff gets you much good without M. E. because it will drop sharply and not even M. E. might be enough without matching display.

Oculus half dome could give some idea where next gen vr headsets might be going. And it's probably expensive as hell so maybe not really consumer stuff? I don't think it makes much sense for oculus to keep doing incremental improvements. They probably will treat rift/quest like consoles with long lifetime. They probably try to do bigger jump when moving to next generation of products. The inside out tracking seems like a solved problem as long as controller is seen by camera. Maybe amount of cameras, quality of cameras and placement can be optimized for next gen products. For home use I don't see external sensor being that useful(cost, difficult/uggly install, inside out tracking is good enough)

half dome was shown 2018
Half Dome was our first prototype to achieve two key milestones. First, using Fresnel lenses, it supports a 140° field of view. Second, by physically moving the screens based on eye tracking, it ensures that the image remains sharp, even when inspecting close objects. This was our first step toward more immersive and visually comfortable VR displays in the lab.

Today, we’re sharing a new varifocal concept prototype, Half Dome 2, built by our Display Systems Research team, working closely with several other teams across FRL.
2019 update on half dome
Overall, we’ve been able to improve the form factor substantially and reduce weight by a full 200 grams over Half Dome 1. While the field of view for Half Dome 2 is narrower than its predecessor, it’s still 20% wider than Oculus Quest.

The varifocal hardware has also been considerably improved.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-do...-compact-vr-prototypes-for-work/?locale=en_US

Last edited:
Back