Formula 1 - 2019 Season

*Can cruise to 6th with DRS. As Brundle mentioned in the broadcast, DRS was introduced so front-runners wouldn’t get trapped behind slower cars, after (IIRC) Alonso lost a championship by getting stuck behind Petrov for half a race.

That doesnt make sense Pete
If alonso was behind petrov he wasnt a front runner, petrov was a front runner
if he was a back marker alonso was trying to lap he would have been blue flagged

*Can cruise to 6th with DRS. As Brundle mentioned in the broadcast, DRS was introduced so front-runners wouldn’t get trapped behind slower cars, after (IIRC) Alonso lost a championship by getting stuck behind Petrov for half a race.

That comparison doesn't make much sense though. That race was nearly a decade ago with totally different cars.

Fact is Hamilton had an easy afternoon, the Merc was easily the quickest car that day. Bottas had the same car and a brand new engine that only had to last for the race. Not having DRS for part of the race really shouldn't have made much of a difference.

That doesnt make sense Pete
If alonso was behind petrov he wasnt a front runner, petrov was a front runner
if he was a back marker alonso was trying to lap he would have been blue flagged
Maybe a poor choice of words on my part, but I didn’t refer to Petrov as a back marker, just Alonso as being a front runner, as in he had a front-running car (and is a front-running talent). Alonso finished second in the championship and Petrov finished 13th (well behind his teammate, Kubica, who finished 7th overall that year). It’s the equivalent of being stuck behind a Formula 1.5 car these days.

That comparison doesn't make much sense though. That race was nearly a decade ago with totally different cars.

Fact is Hamilton had an easy afternoon, the Merc was easily the quickest car that day. Bottas had the same car and a brand new engine that only had to last for the race. Not having DRS for part of the race really shouldn't have made much of a difference.
Well, he finished well within the top six without a safety car or DRS for a third of the race, so it wasn’t a terrible afternoon. I agree with you in thinking he didn’t maximize the car and that Lewis would have done better.

Investigating how one climbs through the field would make for some fascinating statistics as it relates to driver vs car quality.

Back