Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

That cpu will be hard to drive games smoothly st 90 fps.

Probably better to use PSVR and drive games at 60 fps reprojected to 120 fps (does PSVR 120 fps repro works on PC?)

yep win 10
I tried the occulus compatibility tool and passed on everything except the usb
could I solve the problem by buying a pci-e usb 3.1 card ?

Last edited:
These other headsets like the hp reverb mentioned above
are they all compatible with each other?
Reverb is Windows Mixed Reality which supports SteamVR. The other big ones also support SteamVR but also their own things.

So for example Alien Isolation's MotherVR mod supports Oculus API and SteamVR.

yep win 10
I tried the occulus compatibility tool and passed on everything except the usb
could I solve the problem by buying a pci-e usb 3.1 card ?

Yes, but for someone that was trying to nickel and dime their way to a $100 VR purchase, it doesn't seem like a good investment to spend 1/3 of your budget on a USB3 card, a used Rift, and then still be faced with having to buy VR software after it's all said and done. You should be going into this expecting to spend money for every new game you want to try playing, it's not going to give you VR for 10 year old demos or 20 year old games that have no VR support.

I want it for racing games asseto corsa/project cars 1 + 2/dirt rally/rfsctor 2/trackmania turbo ect and a couple of flight sims
i dont need to move anywhere as i will be using a wheel or a hotas. plus if the head tracking isnt great I'm thinking
I can turn it off and rely on my track-ir.
the older games thing i'm just thinking if I have a headset why not use it I'm wating for orangpelupa to get back to
me and give some feedback

ps; the usb problem with the rift S is F**king ridiculous thats why we have standards
is my controller usb3.0 or not, if it is it should work and if I did get a new p.c How am i supposed to know if
it has the right kind of usb3.0 whatever that is ?

Last edited:
I want it for racing games asseto corsa/project cars 1 + 2/dirt rally/trackmania turbo ect and a couple of flight sims
i dont need to move anywhere as i will be using a wheel or a hotas.

The racing and cockpit games/sims (AC, Project Cars, Elite Dangerous, DCS, etc) are among the most system demanding VR games. Be warned.

plus if the head tracking isnt great I'm thinking
I can turn it off and rely on my track-ir.

This probably won't give usable results. The way VR works is by having the HMD's IMU and positional tracking being tightly coupled with the displayed image. The image you see in a VR HMD is a predicted pose based on an extrapolated position of where your head is moving. All that "negative latency" stuff that Google Stadia likes to talk about is actually implemented in VR right now.

the older games thing i'm just thinking if I have a headset why not use it I'm wating for orangpelupa to get back to
me and give some feedback

Running non-VR games in VR is something you should forget about.

the usb problem with the rift S is F**king ridiculous

The USB3 issue is mostly with the original Rift, not the Rift S. My recommendation is that you spend your money upgrading your 8 year old computer and then think about buying a new Rift S.

If you're in a position in life where you're having to pinch pennies, it's best to walk away from the idea of VR right now. Trying to limp your way to the finish line with the hardware and budget you've got is a mistake. This isn't like regular PC gaming where you can grit your teeth and tolerate using over-taxed PC hardware in order to play a demanding game at 10fps.

I think a GTX 1060 level card could handle most Rift S gaming. My 1080 is quite sufficient for my Reverb needs. DIRT Rally ran fine along with everything else I've tried.

However people playing DCS whatever seem to be unable to buy fast enough hardware to get to the 90 fps or so you want. 2080Ti and overclocked top tier Intel CPUs. VR needs to be highly fluid if you don't want to be very uncomfortable.

And if the tracking had any lag you would be barfing in no time.

Last edited:
Yep, forcing flat games to run in VR mode is not recommended. Even GTAV with tons of mudding community support still doesn't have "proper" VR mod.

Yeah regular games will just look worse in a HMD. They will look low resolution and probably washed out compared to a decent TV/monitor.

Wow it looks like a lot of work has been put into PSVR hacked for PC. SteamVR support and all. I am almost curious enough about this to get one to play with...

Gamepad and KB/mouse play sounds ready to go but room tracking is a bit of a mystery.

Last edited:
Wow it looks like a lot of work has been put into PSVR hacked for PC. SteamVR support and all. I am almost curious enough about this to get one to play with...

Gamepad and KB/mouse play sounds ready to go but room tracking is a bit of a mystery.
You use two ps3 camera. It works but bloody annoying to setup. The tracking quality also not as good as single PS4 camera. Dunno why

PS4 camera pc driver is still in development since years ago. Only release buggy driver

I wish psvr2 will use inside out tracking and normal USB c.

Note that he's supported by TrinusVR, so make sure to do your homework from more objective (and more recent) sources about how well it actually works. Wrappers and shims that offer some level of compatibility with API/runtimes that are in active development and receiving monthly updates can be a mixed bag.

I wish psvr2 will use inside out tracking and normal USB c.

I'd be shocked if it were the same architecture as PSVR1. The DK2/Rift1/PSVR camera setup was a band-aid solution because they were all rushing their hardware to market. Can't imagine anyone going forward will do that again.

Last edited:
Note that he's supported by TrinusVR, so make sure to do your homework from more objective (and more recent) sources about how well it actually works. Wrappers and shims that offer some level of compatibility with API/runtimes that are in active development and receiving monthly updates can be a mixed bag.

I'd be shocked if it were the same architecture as PSVR1. The DK2/Rift1/PSVR camera setup was a band-aid solution because they were all rushing their hardware to market. Can't imagine anyone going forward will do that again.

Reportedly, iVRy for PSVR is better.

But you can install and use trinus and ivry trial version to check which ones works best

I discovered something that may prevent me from using a psvr.
The video says you have to set your desktop to the same res as the psvr 1920x1080
my desktop maxes out at 5292x1050 maybe you can get round it by using some software that creates a virtual desktop
does the rift and other vr headsets have this problem ?

I may start another project instead :
VR on the Nintendo Virtual Boy :D

Last edited:
If you are using NVidia you should be able to make a custom resolution of 1920x1080.

Other headsets don't rely on anything about your monitor.

Back