Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
While possible, I'm doubtful. The discs that are used in Sony's Optical Disc Archives aren't compatible with Blu-ray. Of course, Sony has no obligation to support Blu-ray playback on the PS5, but I'm not sure if that's a selling point they'd want to get rid of yet.

Is there any reason to believe a drive that supports a single 500GB archival disc wouldn't support BluRay?
The physical disc dimensions are the same in diameter and thickness, and the bluray's laser wavelength range actually fits within the wavelength required for the archival disc.

I wouldn't know if mass producing an archival disc reader for the PS5 would be so expensive, since Sony has already been selling and making those for 5 years (though at a completely different scale).

There will be no BD 8K, so adding an expensive player will be unlikely.
I think the archival disc for the PS5 hypothesis came up as an eventual necessity for the PS5 to have an optical storage support that allows up to 500GB, instead of the 100GB limit from a regular triple layer bluray.
At this point only Sony knows if they might want to release a videogame with >100GB worth of assets in say 2025 forward.

Given launch day patches are huuuge, they could probably save a few $ and use a CD with a gamekey on it. ;)
Microsoft kind of tried that with the 2013 Xbox One reveal and let's just say it did not go well.

Unless it's a strictly multiplayer title, they absolutely have to launch a disc sold at retail that contains a game you can play from start to finish without connecting to the Internet.

There's this bunch of people living in developed countries (#coff# US #coff#) where Internet access is pretty much terrible.

21% louder.

I'd be thrilled if PS5 was only 21% more louder than Xbox4 - assuming Xbox4 is similar to Xbox One X.

Given launch day patches are huuuge, they could probably save a few $ and use a CD with a gamekey on it. ;)

There needs to be way better bundling, diffing and patching of binaries and data by default for nextgen. Whatever Apple did with app packaging in iOS13 needs to be in the new consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any reason to believe a drive that supports a single 500GB archival disc wouldn't support BluRay?
The physical disc dimensions are the same in diameter and thickness, and the bluray's laser wavelength range actually fits within the wavelength required for the archival disc.

I wouldn't know if mass producing an archival disc reader for the PS5 would be so expensive, since Sony has already been selling and making those for 5 years (though at a completely different scale).
Gen 1 was practically plain bluray, and gen 3 can still read gen 1, the optics are the same aperture and wavelength so it's easily compatible. The problem is that there's no consumer grade drive for 8k ot something. Also there's no ROM format planned.

Having a few games requiring 2 disc to install is probably the best option. Super cheap drive, super cheap 100GB discs. Not a problem since it's always a full install.

More interesting nextgen dosage stolen from Era. It all sounds like Scarlett launch games wont be taken full advantage of the new hardware due to Lockhart and Xbox One family holding back for compatibility, while PS5 launch titles are native next gen. Also about the better than 2080 part, I think it would be some sort of more advanced, efficient RT cores that give the consoles some edge. Or maybe those gpus simply perform more efficient in a console environment?
some more details from splitscreen podcast by jason:
  • Repeats the disinterest from developers for lockhart, says it will have significantly less ram, he has heard developers saying the GPU is basically PS4 Pro level, but the CPU and SSD should improve it beyond that, still developers dont want to be forced to work on lockhart and feel that the SKU will hamper next gen games.
  • says that he has heard of the PS5 launch games, and that they are PS5 only, will probably make an article about it in the future
  • didnt hear about what MS's games, but assume they will target xbox one, PC and Scarlett, like Halo Infinite
  • a big focus will be on accessbility, no need to think anymore about "i only have 1 hour should i go play this?" but instead gives the option of "play for 10 minutes and stop like using netflix" per his examples.
  • One last thing he said, and he isnt sure of himself and said to not take him by his word, so please dont go crazy over this and lurking journalists beware of making an article an this lol, but he said that PS5 and Anaconda are better than "graphics cards like the RTX 2080, what is currently on the market". But again, BIG grain of salt on that statement, and not nearly definitive enough to make articles on before we are repeating the previous jason post in this thread.

The more powerfull then 2080/anything else takes credit away from anything else in that rumor.

Edit: also seems very sony fanboy-ish, that 'report'.

Why? Strikes me as very neutral in tone without saying any one box is better than the other and is generally saying both offer the same experience. The idea devs want a 4 TF target box holding them back strikes me as very realistic too. Assuming MS mandates games have to run on both Anaconda and Lockhart, that'd be bad for next-gen.

The more powerfull then 2080/anything else takes credit away from anything else in that rumor.

The rumor comes from a very credible source Jason Schreier after like he said the rumor of better than 2080 does not come from him and take it with a grain of salt. After the PS5 and Scarlett at more than 10 Tflops RDNA will not be far from a 2080 power probably comparable.

EDIT: And the rumor of PS5 games is not new and logic. Mark Cerny told in 2016 when the Ps4 Pro release we believe in console's generation. Out of a few exceptions like MLB, all first-party games will be PS5 exclusives after the console launch.

PS5 and xbox have 10+TF GPU which is better than 5700XT.

If next-gen GPU is 20% stronger than 5700XT than it already surpasses 2080 GPU.

Jason is pretty neutral if you know his post history. Also I bet you my left kidney a 10+ TF Navi GPU in a console would perform at least as good as a 2080.

Does Sony really want to produce *exclusive* AAA games for the PS5 launch?

That's throwing a lot money away.

At the most I would expect from Sony/MS to do some exclusive AA games to show the extra eye candy for PR which don't break the bank. The usual launch games we forget quickly.

Does Sony really want to produce *exclusive* AAA games for the PS5 launch?

That's throwing a lot money away.

At the most I would expect from Sony/MS to do some exclusive AA games to show the extra eye candy for PR which don't break the bank. The usual launch games we forget quickly.

They will do it because like every generation, this is how you move the hardcore gamers to a new console. They told to the investor and shareholder they want the PS4 owner to buy a PS5 faster than any transition. And they sold through 18.5 million PS4 first year and 35.9 million after two years. This is a huge objective.

There's also the fact that PS+ has gradually gotten shitter, and PSNow has changed to more of a Gamepass/Netflix type service.

A bunch of PS5 exclusive games within the launch period is content for both services in the years to come, even in spite of them being:

The usual launch games we forget quickly.

They'll move plenty of hardware selling the usual launch quality titles. It's not AAA if you rush it to market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back