Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huge kudos to Feral Interactive for a fantastic port. This was definitely not one of those quick and dirty ports to the NSW.

The image is a bit soft and blurry at times on a large screen but looks absolutely incredible on the portable screen. That softness is a compromise that some people will appreciate as it's likely a result of the AA algo that they used.

Regards,
SB

I'll take a slight softness over shimmering any day of the week. Really like UE4's AA solution in general too. In Alien's case, the softness really fits. Looks very much like an anamorphic 35 mm presentation from the late 70s.

I'll take a slight softness over shimmering any day of the week. Really like UE4's AA solution in general too. In Alien's case, the softness really fits. Looks very much like an anamorphic 35 mm presentation from the late 70s.

Say that about the PS2 days, the shimmering :)

I do not miss the 220 lbs displays that required reinforced desks nor the 3 feet depth.
Nailed it.
I still have a TV we cannot possibly remove from my parents basement without damaging the walls or something. Not to mention it should be dissembled first and we would still require movers to haul it out.

I’ll take a lightweight flat screen any day.

Awesome :D I want to play this cute stuff.
I'm always fascinated about how impressive pixel/voxel art can look, still today. Instant buy if i had a Switch.

Think how much more awesome that'd look with RT'd GI! Although I really don't want a future full of voxelised art.

The game was modelled in the free MagicaVoxel editor. These can be imported into Unity with a cheapish asset. I presume the same exists for UE. Anyone with an RTX card could grab these engines, stick in some voxelised assets, and render them out to see how pretty it can get.

Ooo, better yet is a path-traced viewer...

https://ephtracy.github.io/index.html?page=mv_renderer

Last edited:
I do not miss the 220 lbs displays that required reinforced desks nor the 3 feet depth.

CRTs as television devices were limited by size, wheight and power consumption. As monitors they could have been used much longer for video games.

From my point of view quality is the most important thing. I do, however, come from a point of view where one possesses two 70kg subwoofers and speakers where each weighs around 44kg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back