What's the oldest console game you still have an interest in playing?

How old can a console game be before you lose interest?

• No older than current gen. Tech's moved on, and me with it

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Last gen. I still like playing the games from then

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Two gens back (PS1). There are some classics and I don't mind the chunky pixels

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Three or four gens. 8 or 16 bit, a good game is still a good game.

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • No limit. I'd happily spend a few hours pinging a dot across an oscilloscope scren

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I don't play games. How did I get on this forum again?

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Two Gens back, but no chunky pixels because of One X enhancements.

I rarely play games on other than current gen systems. I might quickly revisit some classics for fun and nostalgia, but never really with the intent on finishing them.
Though, with some consoles, it's hard not to play other than last gen games... *cough* Switch *cough*
Currently, the oldest game I still actively play and plan to finish some day might be GTA5 on PS4 Still haven't finished story mode.
If remakes count, then Shadow of the Colossus PS4 remake.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I had to think about this one for a while. But there's 2 extremely old console games that I still enjoy playing from time to time. More for the nostalgia than anything else probably. But they were extremely good games for the time.

River Raid and Pitfall on the Atari 2600. Nothing older on console that I'd like to play. :) And I still really enjoy them whenever nostalgia hits me and I break out the 2600 and load them up.

Regards,
SB

how do i count PSP? Its one gen back? two gen back? I also play it not on the original console but was on PS Vita (has been sold to a work colleague), and now on Switch.

I still replay Space Harrier II from the genesis from time to time. Really like that game especially the music in it.

Still playing sc2 on Xbox. Lol. But it was ported to XBO so I can play there now

I still play occasionally on my Nes, Master System, Megadrive, SNES, PC-engine, Supergraphx, Neo-Geo, N64 and Dreamcast on a Sony Trinitron, all at 60hz (using modded consoles for the NES to SNES). Nothing feels as good as playing the real thing on a good old Trinitron.

I usually play my favorite games and sometimes try a few others games borrowed from my collection.

Then you will miss out excellent titles, IMO! The first PlayStation has many, many really good titles. In PS3 you have other gems, as well, but not as much as in PS, in comparison to the things for PS3 that you can already play in PS4 as well.

I voted for 8/16 bit, BTW.

I think it had indeed many great titles. For its time. I'm not a big jrpg nut, so that probably informs how I view the machine.

I think it had indeed many great titles. For its time. I'm not a big jrpg nut, so that probably informs how I view the machine.
Oh, but there are lots of great titles besides JRPGs. In fact, I wasn't even thinking about them when I posted that. I was thinking about racing games, platformers, fighting games, adventures...

I think I really could have a bit of fun with an old Atari 2600 and a bunch of old cartridges, as well as a Nintendo. Very happy memories of much time spent with both.

I don't usually go retro consoling though, I just don't have any around. (Well, 'cept a PS2...and a Wii, and a PS3, and an Xbox, and a Gamecube, and a Wii HD...well I don't play them! :p )

I still play on SNES, Super Mario Kart being the number one game. Sometimes Rock N Roll Racing and Contra 3.
I did replay Super Metroid multiple times a few years ago, and Zelda once.

NES era definitely feels too dated IMO, only game I remember I genuinely enjoyed was Gunsmoke.

i draw the line pretty much at Atari 2600 gen. At that point the tech is just painful.

NES era I still think has some value, but it was still very ugly.

SNES/16 bit/Neo Geo is the golden era of nostalgia.

I dislike old 3d in fact, for retrogaming purposes. Playstation one, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, all terrible IMO. Around X360 gen 3D started looking not hideous.

Chrono Trigger SNES.
(Second would be Grandia 2 Dreamcast.)

All 3D games aiming for photorealism look awful now, however that's not the case of those which didn't. (Though aliasing is hurting them.)

Although not console related in the traditional sense… I did however find my 80s Entex Space Invader handheld packed away with my older gaming systems. After replacing six 35+ year old corroded double-A batteries with a bit of clean-up, I did actually enjoy the damn thing for more than two hours. Heck, I just put it down a moment ago to write this. Fun is fun, regardless of age and platform.

Back