Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Would definitely recommend getting an after market facial interface (or cover) that's washable or able to be wiped. Having 2 of them means you can leave one to dry properly for several days while you use the clean one. Having only one to wash and dry is a pain because anything other than bone dry is probably going to result in the lenses fogging up.

The original Rift technically uses USB2 for the HMD (I believe the "USB3" requirement is more to ensure its adequately powered, while the actual USB endpoint inside the HMD is USB2 that forks off to the IMU, sound DAC, etc). The cameras have modes that can use USB3.0 or USB2, where the USB2 mode is using some kind of jpeg compression for the image feed, while the USB3.0 mode is uncompressed. The USB3 requirements were probably the biggest technical hurdle of getting the Rift to work, as it has (or at least had) very strict needs for bandwidth and latency/timing. Trying to run everything through a single hub and to a single USB3 controller is probably a worst case scenario considering the general rule of thumb was to try and spread the USB3 power+traffic across several different controllers and avoid hubs altogether.

edit: https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-balancing-bandwidth-on-usb/

Last edited:
I pickup up a HP Reverb last week. Finally decided to give this VR stuff a go and I wanted the Reverb for its high resolution.

I think it's really mind blowing when you get these up and running and are in the game world. Super fancy graphics aren't really required. The sensation of just being in the 3D space and being able to interact with it on a such a high level is so immersive that the graphics eyecandy takes a backseat.

I've been playing a few different games on Steam.
-Blade & Sorcery is a Dark Messiah-style medieval combat sandbox. I love this. Super engaging.
-Shattered Lights free room scale horror game is really cool. Feels somewhat like an escape room. Need some extension cables!
-Prey Typhon Hunter / TranStar VR. I got this free with Mooncrash over a year ago I think. It's pretty cool to explore Talos 1 in VR.
-Alien Isolation MotherVR. This is something I've been wanting to try for years. It's still too unfinished to really work well but it's so cool to be in that game world.
-DIRT Rally 2.0. I've briefly tried this and it's awesome being in the car but I felt the motion sickness starting up pretty quick because of the combination of car interior and exterior motion. Going to have to experiment more with settings there.

Running a GTX 1080 and have had no performance issues.

I did try some VR videos too but the clarity/focus there isn't adequate. The nausea builds quick. You can't look around as naturally as in a 3D rendered world. The video looks 3D but you can't just look anywhere and have consistent clarity. Crazy eyestrain at times.

One of the most curious things to me is the limitations of the lenses in these HMDs. The way there is a visual sweet spot in the center and the peripheral vision isn't really what you want to look at. Turn head instead of eyeballs. Managing eyestrain is a challenge and that links up with motion sickness. And the fixed interpupillary distance design of most helmets is curious too.

Try these vr videos. Sounds like you tried videos that were poorly made.

That's one of the things I like with the Oculus Rift, it has a physical IPD adjustment. It's also one of the reasons I won't be getting a Reverb even though I've read that a lot of the problems it had in the first few months have been addressed.

The Acer Concept D OJO was supposed to have the same panels and resolution but with a physical IPD. Unfortunately, I think they may have cancelled it rather than launch it commercially.

Regards,
SB
The Reverb does have the digital IPD tuning in the Windows Mixed Reality settings. It's really hard to tell what feels best. I just leave it at around default (~63mm)

I tried the Rift S for a day too and it no longer has the physical adjustment.

I want something to come along with OLED panels at this resolution or better. The clarity of the Reverb is way better than the Rift S, but the contrast ratio is still pretty lame.

The Reverb does have the digital IPD tuning in the Windows Mixed Reality settings. It's really hard to tell what feels best. I just leave it at around default (~63mm)

I want something to come along with OLED panels at this resolution or better. The clarity of the Reverb is way better than the Rift S, but the contrast ratio is still pretty lame.

Digital ipd doesn't work great at extremes. If I remember right roughly 50% of people will have subpar quality when using rift s. With quest/original rift people left out is less than 10%.

For me physical ipd adjustment is must. Software solution cannot compensate enough.

a single hub and to a single USB3 controller is probably a worst case scenario considering the general rule of thumb was to try and spread the USB3 power+traffic across several different controllers and avoid hubs altogether.

my mboard manual states
2 x Etron EJ168 chips: Š - Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB headers

So I would need to buy a usb 3.0 backplate to keep each usb connection on a single etron controller

my mboard manual states
2 x Etron EJ168 chips: Š - Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB headers

So I would need to buy a usb 3.0 backplate to keep each usb connection on a single etron controller

Those are very old USB3 controllers and may well not work properly with the Rift anyways. If your system is old enough that you don't have a proper Intel USB3 controller, then you'd be better off saving your money to invest in building a new computer in the future and forget about VR entirely. What are your hardware specs?

I mean a game that doesnt have a vr option something that was made before vr was a thing
quake 3, dues ex, return to castle wolfenstein, unreal tournament ect
so playing normal 2D games on a big screen in VR? i dont want to do that, it was annoying in PSVR i suppose it will be annoying too in Quest. Watching 3D movie was awesome tho

How about Penumbra: Overture in VR? Frictional Games releases always do a lot of environment/object interaction and physics puzzles so it makes sense. I gave it a try. Works pretty well even with the Reverb. You can play it room-scale or stand in place and use the controllers to walk.
https://rly.sexy/project/penumbra-vr

And again with the VR immersion making simpler visuals feel strangely compelling once more. I almost tried to lean on a desk in-game as I was looking through its drawers. That was a close call lol.

Last edited:
How about Penumbra: Overture in VR? Frictional Games releases always do a lot of environment/object interaction and physics puzzles so it makes sense. I gave it a try. Works pretty well even with the Reverb. You can play it room-scale or stand in place and use the controllers to walk.
https://rly.sexy/project/penumbra-vr

And again with the VR immersion making simpler visuals feel strangely compelling once more. I almost tried to lean on a desk in-game as I was looking through its drawers. That was a close call lol.

Its a horror game. I can't do horror game. I don't want to get a heart attack (or run scared thru a window) and die.

I'm a total wimp

Yeah, that's one of the major reasons among others why the Rift S isn't even on my radar. Thankfully the Oculus Quest has a physical IPD adjustment. If it represented a larger upgrade over the Oculus Rift, that I might have gotten one. But as it is, I'm waiting for it to go down in price.

I really don't know why HP didn't put physical IPD adjustment on the Reverb considering it was designed mainly with the professional market in mind.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, that's one of the major reasons among others why the Rift S isn't even on my radar. Thankfully the Oculus Quest has a physical IPD adjustment. If it represented a larger upgrade over the Oculus Rift, that I might have gotten one. But as it is, I'm waiting for it to go down in price.

I really don't know why HP didn't put physical IPD adjustment on the Reverb considering it was designed mainly with the professional market in mind.

Regards,
SB
I figured out that my pupils are at about 64mm so apparently I'm just about right at the center of the bell curve on IPD. My gigantic head barely fits in these HMDs but the eyeballs are perfect. lol

The Rift was picky with USB3 controllers. If the controller struggles to receive/send frame data from the sensors at short and reliable intervals the tracking can break. If you ran the old Rift compatibility app that checks against their whitelist of minimum spec hardware, you'd probably fail on USB3 and CPU. GPU would pass. Are you running Windows 10?

Back