Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It's already a confirmed design with a photo mid-October. Although this new image reveals an in-built screen.

Also, PS4 devkit at the back on the right, and what was leaked earlier as an early PS5 devkit underneath.

67280_1_ps5-devkit-final-design-devkits-always-look-quite-different.jpg

Lockhart still lives

https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-still-planning-a-cheaper-disc-le-1840203823

Microsoft’s ideal target performances are said to be 4K resolution and 60 frames-per-second on Anaconda and 1440p resolution and 60 frames-per-second on Lockhart.

I'm completely for this approach, if the only real difference between the two designs is the GPU capability, I think it's a good approach. I imagine they are just salvaging SOC's that don't meet the Anaconda spec for Lockhart.

As long as CPU/RAM is not gimped. I don't want this device to affect the scope and capabilities of games produced for "proper" consoles.

Damn, I wish I could write it off, but when all the journalists are getting together to say the same thing; it's hard to ignore. Pointless to bring up a whole thread of this discussion again though.
Well really seems like they are on/off on this thing and potentially all the way up to reveal time. It's entirely possible that i suspect MS has a couple of avenues for flexibility for Lockhart if they really want to move forward with it.

You either have (a) server blades to replace xcloud with.
(b) if they somehow managed to sandwich PS5 in-between the specs of Anaconda and Lockhart. And thus sandwich the pricing as well.
Perhaps (a) is always a go, perhaps waiting to see how well xCloud does.
with (b) perhaps they need to wait for Sony to reveal PS5 see test production yields before doing a hard greenlight for Lockhart

Would be tough to manufacture so many Lockharts last second and to save costs the only play I see working here is that they are Anaconda chips that are less than perfect and Anaconda has got to be a developer kit bin, no reservation on CUs.

Last edited:
But... hardly anyone has them, and they’re nowhere near final, because MS wants to surprise Sony this time.

Is the verge a reliable source?
I mean, to be fair, i would think "The actual head of Xbox" would be one of the first to get them however few there were. :p

The real secret here is that what he brought home with is the secret portable Lockhart/Switch Pro, not Anaconda. ;P

So Verge says Anaconda is around 10+ TF while Lockhart (the bastard still lives) at 4 TF according to their source.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/...ect-scarlett-lockhart-anaconda-launch-details
Microsoft’s Anaconda console will be the true next-gen leap, and sources tell The Verge that Microsoft is targeting more than 10 teraflops of graphical power on this particular console. Plans for Lockhart may change, but currently this console will debut with around 4 teraflops of graphical power.

Kotaku reports that Lockhart will include a solid state drive, and will be targeted toward 1440p gaming rather than the 4K gaming that will be available on Anaconda. We understand both Anaconda and Lockhart will share familiar next-gen hardware. Sources say that Lockhart will get a next-gen CPU, but that it will be clocked slower than what’s available on Anaconda. This should mean developers can take advantage of the SSD and CPU upgrades that are planned for Anaconda in games that span across both next-gen Xbox consoles.
Also Both XB2 and PS5 are very powerful and share similar specs.
I mean 10+ Navi TF is indeed very powerful, would be at least 2070 Super level if not near 2080. Next gen is in good hands I see :love:.
My personal take is,
XB2 = 2070 Super level
PS5 = 2080 level
Lockhart = shakes head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back