Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The performance difference is going to be negligible between the two machines unless someone takes a big loss up front I'm reasonable confident they both going to be loss leader machines possibly more so than the current gen machines were.

This part: "It must be said, since software, not hardware, is a traditional Microsoft area of expertise, it's very possible that they could ultimately deliver more advanced DirecX development software in the end allowing games to run better on Scarlett even if the hardware is less capable."

Is just him throwing the Xbox fanboys a bone. Sony's dev tools have been considered best in class for a while, especially in terms of extracting performance, and there's no reason to believe that will suddenly change next gen.

The performance difference is going to be negligible between the two machines unless someone takes a big loss up front I'm reasonable confident they both going to be loss leader machines possibly more so than the current gen machines were.
Even with a loss, they might be very much limited by the power consumption target this time around.

Whatever AMD can do below 200W should be similar. They are also coming out at the same time, so no delaying a year waiting for more efficient tech or better processes.

Throwing more money at it would be more for memory amount or ssd size or fancy HBM. All of which would have limited advantages.

This part: "It must be said, since software, not hardware, is a traditional Microsoft area of expertise, it's very possible that they could ultimately deliver more advanced DirecX development software in the end allowing games to run better on Scarlett even if the hardware is less capable."

Is just him throwing the Xbox fanboys a bone. Sony's dev tools have been considered best in class for a while, especially in terms of extracting performance, and there's no reason to believe that will suddenly change next gen.
i see this as him covering his own words here in case he is wrong (likely wrong on the degree of accuracy, he is at least 50% correct on whether PS5 > XB2). I would agree that is a super weak statement to make. It's unlikely we'll see much better improvement on API performance than we do today; unless drivers are still under performing.

If I were Kleegam, I would have put focus that he's just looking at a single data point, and not being able to properly predict what that could mean for a majority of the titles into next gen. 3P companies like Ubisoft use a variety of game engines for a variety of different games, and this is on purpose. In the same way, we don't know how a different game engine will operate on different consoles, and it's hard to make a prediction that say your game performs better on PS5 with Anvil that would also mean it will perform better with Snowdrop.

If you used say; Call of Duty: Ghosts while it was in development as a surefire method of showcasing PS4 vs XBO performance, you would have gotten it dramatically wrong since it was 1080p vs 720p. Which a majority of the titles turned out to be 1080p and 900p respectively.

Lastly; assuming it's not this. His comments is to appear as impartial as he can given how little information he has, at the end of the day he doesn't know that much. At least he doesn't know that much that he would write about MS being great at software. I certainly would not have gone there lol. But I wouldn't see this as being the same as throwing xbox fanboys a bone.

Last edited:
Is there even real Scarlett alpha/beta hardware available to 3rd party devs yet? I can't recall anybody mentioning that yet unlike for Sony's PS5. So all these people most likely evaluate are PC devkits and some "baseline" performance infos MS told them.

Unless MS are intending to release much later, they should be on a similar sort of hardware position. Unless the custom Secret Sauce is taking time to cook and isn't ready for a devkit yet...

Not entirely, not if MS figures they get enough early developer feedback from their first party studios and not ship out kits to third Party devs until later in the process.

Unless MS are intending to release much later, they should be on a similar sort of hardware position. Unless the custom Secret Sauce is taking time to cook and isn't ready for a devkit yet...

As far as I can remember Penello said that the final X1X silicon arrived December 2016 and their devkits spring 2017. They have a mature SW base dealing with multiple targets X1/X1S/X1X now and PC devkits based on Zen2+whatever GPU should provide an even more realistic environment than for Jaguar.

It's not as if 3rd party games will be exclusively designed for that platform for years to come due market size.

it’s like last/this gen all over again

I think prior precedent has shown that there is every reason to reset expectations every time there is a new generation of hardware.

Other than Sony coming out with a finicky and bloated price system (PS3), Sony has dominated the top positions in traditional standalone home systems for more than two decades now. I think Microsoft's Achilles heel with the Xbox brand has more do with global perception, not its hardware prowess. Simply having a power advantage isn’t going to overcome Xbox’s branding issues globally, or help cement it as the next-generation leader.

PS2: >155M
PS4: 102.8
PS1: 102.49M
Wii: 101.63M
PS3: >87.4

Not what I was referring to. Look at what I said in context of the post I was responding to. Hardware choices can and do influence ease of development and we have seen both vendors introduce pain points for developers due to choices made that ran counter to the dominant development paradigms of the time. RT, specifically, if one vendor does it radically differently, has the potential to be one such pain point.

It looks like a variation of the older pastebin with added recent rumors.

That 1GB L4 cache... Is that even possible?

Is the rumor still that PS5 dev kit is more powerful?
If this Scarlett dev kit rumor was true, PS5 dev kit would be crazy.

Shame, that as usual I don't believe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back