Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's a good argument otherwise. Consoles have been all about boutique hardware to give them longevity. It's only really this gen where we've seen that idea readily knocked on its head with two closed-box PCs released, but even then, MS came out the gate with boutique 3D vision. I can agree that future consoles are likely designed around keeping costs low because that seems to be the best solution for making money from them, but that'd be a change in the industry rather than a fundamental design consideration of console design.

but even then, MS came out the gate with boutique 3D vision.
And it cost them dear. They won't repeat that mistake. Look at the XB1X vs the XB1; - It's perfect: Mean and lean.

Not only do the stuff you put in your console right now have to be affordable, it has to be around 5-6 years from now. Niche products have a much higher chance of being EOLed, and you don't want a critical component to be EOLed before your next gen console is.

Bog standard process tech, bog standard memory technology and bog standard storage technology. That's what Sony and MS will rely on.

Cheers

Baseless rumor moved to baseless rumor thread and reply-ban issued to keep baseless rumors out of this one.

Consoles in general never had the fastest or most expensive hardware, exotic maybe (EE/Cell), but far from the fastest.
In general, yes, but we had some exceptions to the rule: PS2 has some very wide and fast video memory bandwidth, XB360 with edram had very fast cache dedicated to the ROPS (most games were 4xMSAA at the beginning) and I think when it released it had one of the most powerful GPU.

And Megadrive had blast processing. It's CPU was like 2 times faster than SNES CPU.

PS2 has some very wide and fast video memory bandwidth, XB360 with edram had very fast cache dedicated to the ROPS (most games were 4xMSAA at the beginning) and I think when it released it had one of the most powerful GPU.

PS2 was more of exotic type, i think atleast. It wasn't faster directly, not CPU atleast. X360's gpu perhaps was very advanced for the time but a X1900XT had more raw performance.

Megadrive had blast processing. It's CPU was like 2 times faster than SNES CPU.
But the 68000 in the the Megadrive wasn't the fastest model of 68000 available. Megadrive released in 1989 and had a 7.5mhz CPU but there were 68000 clocked at 12mhz as early as 1982. This fits with the claim that consoles don't usually have the fastest parts.

In general, yes, but we had some exceptions to the rule: PS2 has some very wide and fast video memory bandwidth, XB360 with edram had very fast cache dedicated to the ROPS (most games were 4xMSAA at the beginning) and I think when it released it had one of the most powerful GPU.

And Megadrive had blast processing. It's CPU was like 2 times faster than SNES CPU.

Also didn't the PS2/ PS3 use RAMBus memory?

That is Kutaragi's legacy, PS4 and probably PS5 are less exotic.
By the way, someone has an idea of what can be the name for the ps5's successor?

Yes the RIMMs were, just adding weight to the traditionally exotic hardware in consoles point of view.

I had them in dual channel, think the same speed as the ps2's main ram. It was more expensive giving not that much more performance then sdr ram.
PS2's edram was more exotic and the emotion engine, also how the GS worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back