Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good to hear. Do LG keep the original functionality maintained, things like YouTube apps and so on? They are usually the first to stop working when the host service changes protocols.
They seem okay so far with it. I have an older B7 and it still gets updated from time to time. My TV didn't ship with Dolby Vision, but the recent firmware upgrade gave it Dolby Vision.

Not sure how or what they did to accomplish that, but it's supported now.

my indecision would be between a 65" B9 and a 55" C9.
I might be able to provide a perspective since i had this same indecision 2 years ago between B7 and C7.
It really came down to whether I watched regular cable/TV or not. And I don't. I'm totally disconnected and all my stuff is streamed or is directly from a PC or console. I have a setup for a darker space.
B7 worked really well for my needs. I also know when my TV is not set to game mode. It does some really funky motion smoothing etc. It's really bad. So I have to make sure everything is off. When calibrated with a high quality 4K source, looks amazing.

I recommend C7 if you intend to go with cable content, as it's ability to upscale is superior to the B series and will be a noticeable difference.

Just wanted to add this reference for others to know of, it's the AVS Forum's Master OLED Burn-In thread that's currently at 134 pages spanning 2.5 years. It's a helpful reference for anyone who may ever need to deal with LG to get panel replacements.

There's also been some owners noticing very odd burn-in, like from items that are very rarely if ever on screen, such as the Play button from Amazon Prime Video or Youtube Video.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...d-image-retention-burn-thread-photos-134.html

Not meant to doom and gloom, but provide additional knowledge.

Wish we had that over here. A 65" C8 is still over 2 grand. 55" C9 is close to 1700 dollars though.

My plan is to wait until the 2020 models go on sale and than hopefully find a 65" C9 for around 2k. Looks like there isn't that much progress on the panel side and the C9 appears to be near perfect and comes with hdmi 2.1 so it should be pretty future proof.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add this reference for others to know of, it's the AVS Forum's Master OLED Burn-In thread that's currently at 134 pages spanning 2.5 years. It's a helpful reference for anyone who may ever need to deal with LG to get panel replacements.

There's also been some owners noticing very odd burn-in, like from items that are very rarely if ever on screen, such as the Play button from Amazon Prime Video or Youtube Video.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...d-image-retention-burn-thread-photos-134.html

Not meant to doom and gloom, but provide additional knowledge.
I have banding issues! I should check it out. Curious to see which burnin problems people are having. I have heard from dealers that they tend to have people who have the unit on all day tend to be the ones calling in their warranty

I have banding issues! I should check it out. Curious to see which burnin problems people are having. I have heard from dealers that they tend to have people who have the unit on all day tend to be the ones calling in their warranty
RTings have an ongoing burn-in experiment for LG panels as well. It's still a thing but seems limited to folks who view the same content endlessly for hours on end with zero variation.

RTings have an ongoing burn-in experiment for LG panels as well. It's still a thing but seems limited to folks who view the same content endlessly for hours on end with zero variation.
Yup.
Those news channels on all day. I know a couple of retired people that just have certain channels on running 16 hrs a day. Sometimes its the stock channel, the other is the constant news channel. some variations with soap operas and talk shows and then back to the dashboard.

In that AVS thread, there have been burn in on items that are rarely on screen. I suggest a read through the last page or two there. This puts Oled in the Do Not Buy in 2019 list for me. Maybe in 2021.

There hasn't been any public outcry over burn in and tests like rting's show anyone who uses their tv in a semi realistic way is not likely to suffer from any noticeable burn in. Not saying reports on AVS are not true, but maybe those panels are broken/low quality instead of it being a fundamental issues with 99.9% of the panels out there.

That and there is no telling if burn in is going to be any less of an issue in 2021.

I'm hoping it's like the plasma technology, where it was eventually perfected when it came to image burn in.

Some large steps were taken with OLED and Burn-In already, but I don't know how much more they can do but I have hope. This is what they did since their 2016 panels (the 6 series I think): LG has since changed the stack array for the models after that, removed the 3D filter (to reduce how hard the pixels were driven), made the red sub pixel larger and used different OLED material.

Tempting but I'm hoping the TV manufacturers will look to make a splash for 2020 and make bigger improvements than usual.

CES in about 6 weeks.

Helps that there is nothing that I can't wait to see in 4K HDR.

On Disney+ they are using "fake HDR" for The Mandalorian and the Star Wars movies.

Apple TV+ has the highest bitrates so great image and sound quality but their shows are crappy, despite big budgets.

So lets see if the TV, AVR and streaming set top box makers step up their game in 2020.

I'm hoping it's like the plasma technology, where it was eventually perfected when it came to image burn in.

I have two Panasonic PlasmaTV's and the older one, 2008 42" cheap FullHD is fully burn-in resistant - you can watch anything as long as you want. The newer one, 65" ST series model can get permanent burn-ins after like few minutes of static image (with Pixel orbiter on). Sometimes I am under the impression that it get new burn-in even when it is turned off ;). So things got worse with last generation of plasma TV's, at least for Panasonc. Good thing is I no longer care - the picture is still glorious and I'll be using these TV as long as possible.

On my Plasma Panasonic TC-P54V10 all of that goes away after 15 or so minutes of using the sweeping bar of White that runs from one side to the other, to get the phosphors to even out. You may need to run yours for longer overnight, but that should fix your temporary Image Retention.

I do not want to derail this thread anymore but to be clear - sweeping bar works on my older plasma, but not the newer one. After first burn-in from TV menu I was trying everything (sweeping bar, noise, youtube videos intended for removing IR and even PC apps) to no effect. Maybe there's is something wrong with this individual set that make it very prone to IR. But as I said - it comes with the technology and doesn't change the fact that image quality is just superb. Most of my friends who have newest LCD 4k HDR TV's agrees and seems to be, to some degree upset that their TV's most of the time doesn't offer such image. When my 65" TV set is done I will definitely buy OLED because it's the only way to maintain this quality.

That's a real shame, because while the ST models were cheaper electronics they were supposed to still have the same excellent panels, or at least no worse than the V10 panels. I just can't imagine how they could have fallen worse than my older model V10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back