Frame Rates [2019+ Edition] *spawn*

Because the display still updates 120 times a second. On a traditional 3D display, a frame packed 3D signal you get 60 unique images per eye that exist on their own screen refresh (120hz), but it's not the same as a true 120hz update. But the display would still have a 120hz refresh. The entire single screen updates at 120hz on PSVR, so you aren't getting 240hz.
3d is up to the display to decide how to display the 60fps with two eyes. Dual polarized projectors or most passive glasses are 60Hz update showing both eyes at the same time.

Last edited:
3d is up to the display to decide how display the 60fps with two eyes. Dual polarized projectors or most passive glasses are 60Hz update showing bothh eyes at the same time.
But you wouldn't call that 120hz, because the screen isn't refreshed at 120hz

But you wouldn't call that 120hz, because the screen isn't refreshed at 120hz
Nor would I call it faux 120 through the hdmi, the data being sent through the physical hdmi and how it's displayed are two different questions. PSVR is true 120 through the HDMI, 3d packing formats are 60.

The dual screen with one at 90 and the other at 30 is probably entirely custom.

Nor would I call it faux 120 through the hdmi, the data being sent through the physical hdmi and how it's displayed are two different questions. PSVR is true 120 through the HDMI, 3d packing formats are 60.

The dual screen with one at 90 and the other at 30 is probably entirely custom.
Yeah, you are right. The transmission is done at 60hz (or less!) for traditional frame packed 3D over HDMI, then unpacked and displayed at 120hz. Also, I just found out that some manufacturers sold TVs in or about 2013 with HDMI 1.4b ports that accepted 120hz signals over HDMI, although the feature was sometimes locked behind a settings you had to manually enable. Also, some older computer monitors that are 120hz can accept that over HDMI if you set a custom resolution and refresh rate.

Back