The AMD Execution Thread [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which means everyone still isn't back to where they were 2 years ago.
That's natural, 2 years ago was the mining boom, you can't really compare that to now. It's an entirely different scale of product consumption. It's quite amazing the market has reached this level of expansion purely from gaming.

Here is the math for AMD and Nvidia unit sales for Q2 and Q3:
Thanks for doing the math work for us, I really didn't have the time to spell them out like this.

Last edited:
Which means everyone still isn't back to where they were 2 years ago.

Regards,
SB

I don’t know that the last 2 years are very instructive given the crypto boom and bust.

The general trend over the past 10 years has been declining sales of discrete cards. However it’s not clear that prices are the primary reason. The recent improvements in IGPs have certainly caused OEMs to cut back on low end discrete.

Don’t think we have any evidence to support the claim that Turing is killing PC gaming. If price was a determining factor AMD should be shipping a lot more cards than they are currently.

How AMD gained market share
https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/49323-how-amd-gained-market-share

Yes it really was fire sale prices of older products in Q2 2019 that moved the needle for AMD and not NAVI for if it was NAVI then why the retraction of 5% in market share for AMD and the paltry 473 thousand unit increase Q-Q.
Did the world jump into another reality while I was gone and Fuad suddenly became a credible source?
Where can you find these firesale prices?
upload_2019-11-27_18-25-40.png
upload_2019-11-27_18-26-2.png

EU doesn't look much different.

You are misreading market share increases with overall add-in board market expansion. The add-in board market expanded by 42% not Nvidia's unit sales. Note Nvidia's unit sales actually increased by 52.8% Q-Q: See math below showing why.
Yes, I did misread it.

If price was a determining factor AMD should be shipping a lot more cards than they are currently.
True. Lisa Su did mention in the 2019 3rd Quarter Earnings call that GPU's declined a bit sequentially from the previous quarter.

Last edited:
Did the world jump into another reality while I was gone and Fuad suddenly became a credible source?
Where can you find these firesale prices?

You had to have been blind to the constant (and I mean constant) bombardment in Q2 of websites having an article/posts of the new low low sale price on the RX 570/580 and how it would be great for AMD and piss poor for Nvidia because no one in their right mind would buy a Turning when you could have old junk for basically nothing.

Maybe you missed them (article/posts). I sure wish I could have. Luckily they are now gone.

You had to have been blind to the constant (and I mean constant) bombardment in Q2 of websites having an article/posts of the new low low sale price on the RX 570/580 and how it would be great for AMD and piss poor for Nvidia because no one in their right mind would buy a Turning when you could have old junk for basically nothing.

Maybe you missed them (article/posts). I sure wish I could have. Luckily they are now gone.
Oh, I've seen the articles which never had any actual sources for them (aside other sites claiming same). I've just never seen those claimed price cuts happen anywhere and pricewatching services seem to have completely missed them too. I just manually checked several different RX 570 and 580 models in Finnish Hinta.fi, same story as everywhere else, no notable price cuts during Q2 (Except for Asus Strix, but that was ridicilously overpriced before and was dropped to same level as others).
So again, where are those "firesale prices", when there's no actual data supporting them anywhere to be seen?

I've just never seen those claimed price cuts happen anywhere and pricewatching services seem to have completely missed them too.
It's not about price cuts per say here, it's about the media going crazy over the mouth drooling cheap prices of the Polaris cards compared to the competition. This got the public attention. AMD also made several attractive game bundles for the Polaris cards on top of the very cheap prices, that also helped getting the budget oriented public to embrace them during Q2.

Even the non-blind cannot see if they fail to even look.
Seriously? Where exactly do you suggest one would look? I follow the prices as part of media for my work, I've checked several price watch sites in the US and EU, I've checked several news outlets.
Only thing suggesting there were price cuts are few news sites, none of which had any sources other than other news sites which didn't have sources either.
I've seen no-one claiming there were price cuts show any actual data to support their claims, I have provided data to support my claims.
And I'm the one who can't see because I'm not looking?

You had to have been blind to the constant (and I mean constant) bombardment in Q2 of websites having an article/posts of the new low low sale price on the RX 570/580…
It's not Kaotik, who is blind.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/the-amd-execution-thread-2019.61029/page-3#post-2081136
Yes, several websites published articles about Polaris prices in Q2, but similar articles were published in Q4 2018 and Q1 2019. And - surprise - prices mentioned in those articles were almost the same:

Q4 2018 - RX 580 for $165: https://www.pcworld.com/article/332...-best-graphics-card-deals-in-a-long-time.html
Q1 2019 - RX 580 for $169: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-amd-rx-580-newegg-deal,38580.html
Q2 2019 - RX 580 for $160: https://www.pcgamer.com/this-overclocked-radeon-rx-580-8gb-is-the-cheapest-around-at-dollar160/

I can't find any single price-watching website which observed any significant pricedrop during Q2. Prices were reduced very sligtly and continuously during all the last four quarters. Sorry, but your posts lack evidence for your statements.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Maybe all these supposed price cuts have to do with the fact that PR agencies tend to send out news alerts shortly before the launch of a competitor's product, that their represented product is now available at this and that prices from Jo E. Tailer.

They mostly do this after the fact and the prices were at this news-alert-worthy level before. You go figure out the rest about these news stories. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back