The Annual Video Game Awards [2019 Edition]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
The Video Game Awards is December 12 at 8:30 pm EST / 5:30 PM PST.

Here is the nominee announcement video:

FAN VOTING NOW OPEN FOR THE GAME AWARDS

Who do you think should win at The Game Awards on December 12? Now you have a chance to influence the outcome! Fan voting for video game’s biggest night is now open, giving you the opportunity to vote in nearly 30 categories.

Voting in all categories is available here on the website. Just login using Facebook or Twitter and vote here: http://www.thegameawards.com/nominees

Vote on Google for your favorite games and esports. Search for “TGA vote” on Google to cast your ballot or click this link: goo.gle/TGAVOTE

If you are a fan in China, you can vote on Bilibili in all the major categories for The Game Awards using this link: https://www.bilibili.com/blackboard/tga2019.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
No surprise considering how badly Geoff Keighley wants to move past Kojima's friendzone already;)

Seriously, though: gonna be hard to fend off accusations of nepotism in a case such as this.
Might wanna add a most-blatant-product-placement category while you're at it.
Geoff will be accused by uneducated idiots who don't get how the voting works so who cares?

Geoff will be accused by uneducated idiots who don't get how the voting works so who cares?
Still not a good look.
He heads the award show. It’s his baby. Majority of the planning and who goes on the committee is likely people he trusts to do the job right. But what is the right job? In this case it’s what he thinks will be the right job.

Thus the committee and him would be in agreement for nominations even if he is not part of the nomination committee.
Unless there is some form of democracy happening for this awards show to put people into the committee; Any award show can slant their awards towards things they like and against things that they don’t like.

See the Oscars. How long did it take for certain types of films to be nominated? How long did it take for a POC to be nominated and win?

I’m not saying Geoff is the problem or that this issue can be easily rectified. But he’s too close to the project unfortunately. Too close to Kojima for people to ignore possible biases that could be happening whether intentionally or unintentionally.

i feel bad for Kojima because if he wins a lot; people will feel it’s a tainted victory. And then he may feel it’s a tainted victory. That sucks. But the conversation around it whether controversial or not is going to be unavoidable.

Really don't care who wins this year since none felt like GOTY to me, just interested in seeing some next gen game reveals, trailers and teases. Granted I haven't finished Death Stranding yet so it might change my mind tho.

Thus the committee and him would be in agreement for nominations even if he is not part of the nomination committee.
Which shows you don't know how the awards work. ;) *

Nominations are from the industry, not committee. Around 50 publications and 'influencers' and industry organisations are approached for the nominations. From these collective results, the most common are short-listed before being voted on by the panel. Far fairer than these other competitions where you have to pay to enter or where votes come from friends in the biz.

Death Stranding's presence is because lots of people felt it deserved to be considered for these awards.

* That doesn't make you an uneducated idiot though!

Which shows you don't know how the awards work. ;) *

Nominations are from the industry, not committee. Around 50 publications and 'influencers' and industry organisations are approached for the nominations. From these collective results, the most common are short-listed before being voted on by the panel. Far fairer than these other competitions where you have to pay to enter or where votes come from friends in the biz.

Death Stranding's presence is because lots of people felt it deserved to be considered for these awards.

* That doesn't make you an uneducated idiot though!
It’s the best that can be done to remove potential conflict of interest. I agree. but that doesn’t mean the system in place is impervious to tampering.

Not that I am saying it is.

But we have seen Olympic judging (figure skating), other award shows, and whole governments manage to corrupt (Trump) and ignore their laws entirely.

Despite their best efforts, some people will not be able to get over the fact that Geoff was too close to the project

I am not terribly enthusiastic about anything that came out this year. It’s been all VR games for me that were already out - primarily Beat Saber still, played it more than once a week for over a year now and bought all the official song packs, and then some Dreams and GT sport. Other than that no game really captured me ... I haven’t tried Death Stranding but at least it seems a little different, though right now not quite different enough. My sons most played game is still GTA despite some Minecraft relapses, Jurassic World (park builder), and City Skylines (and some Mario Kart on Switch).

Control ? Death Stranding ? The Outer worlds ? Those should not even be there.

Monster Hunter Iceborne should have being there. They even nominated Smash bros which is not really a new game, more like a refined formula, like Iceborne. At least this year MHW could have won.

EDIT: Ok maybe not The Outer worlds, that game seems quite good.

Last edited:
For the family nominations, they are all Nintendo IPs!

It's secretly the Nintendo nominations. :p

But that said, while I'm sure there are family titles on other platforms, none immediately come to mind for me. And likely none are quite so well done as those made by Nintendo. Not entirely unexpected considering that has been Nintendo's focus for 1st party titles for what, over 30+ years now?

Regards,
SB

If only it was about being non-iterative. Maybe VGA shouldn't have an overall GOTY but force more into categories like "new ip", "iterative ip", "annual ip refreshes". I know they have some of those categories but everyone focuses mainly on GOTY.

What if one of these iterations gets a significant rewrite and is suitably different as a result? Also, FIFA is only in Best Sports, along with PES. And F1. Basically sports games are franchised so it's not like they can be excluded or they'd be no nominees. I can't see any reason for someone to complain that FIFA is nominated for the Best Sport game unless there are better sports games released this year that deserve recognition, although obviously an international selection will exclude the chance for Baseball, American Football, and the like.

Sill don't see Globalisateur's complaint though that FIFA, a sports game, is nominated for best sport where, love it or loathe it, it is one of the best sports games out there, while an expansion pack isn't nominated when there's no category for Best Expansion Pack.

Control ? Death Stranding ? The Outer worlds ? Those should not even be there.

Monster Hunter Iceborne should have being there. They even nominated Smash bros which is not really a new game, more like a refined formula, like Iceborne. At least this year MHW could have won.

EDIT: Ok maybe not The Outer worlds, that game seems quite good.

12 minute walking simulator confirmed :p

Back