Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

Got my head on a Quest, so... Quick oculus quest vs PSVR bullet points

• Quest have more SDE than PSVR (my heart "sank", I originally though it will have less SDE. I expect it will looks as good as Samsung Odyssey+)
  • Quest screen "focus distance" is way closer than PSVR, so I don't need to wear glasses.
  • Quest tracking is worse than PSVR for hands that are waaaay low (probably the rings got obscured a bit by pants?). I put PS Camera up high, looking down on me. So I also got 360 degree tracking in PSVR.
  • Full wireless VR is way more "freeing" than PSVR
  • Quest controller rumble is way wimpier than PSVR
  • Quest lenses fog easily (I never got my psvr lens fog)
  • Quest fabric Face interface is harder to clean and keep clean than PSVR.
  • Quest "face hugging" design is less comfortable than PSVR
  • Quest color / contrast is better than PSVR
  • Quest controllers are harder to juggle than PSVR despite its super easy to mix-up
I didn't compare game graphics because I use Quest as PCVR via ALVR. Powered by a work laptop with rx580 + ryzen 7 1700 or 1600 I forgot

As for using quest as PCVR

• * it's a pain in the ass to set up the steam vr standing scale.
  • * "reset seating position" in steam VR can't be used. So the FRONT and HEIGHT can't be reset. Horrible. Workaround - let quest to turn off its tracking by itself for 10s or so, stand in the desired real world position, wear the quest. With a bit of sincere prayer, steam vr position will be good
  • * random stutter at random time despite already using 5ghz wifi (usually around half of song in beat Saber)
  • * controller "yaw" align properly with the ones you saw in VR but it tilted way too high in beat Saber (there's an offset menu tho in ALVR, haven't tried it yet)
  • * the joy of cheap steam vr games :p

Before you buy, have you just decided more cores must be faster or have you actually looked at some benchmarks ?
I dont know what haswell you have so I chose a i5-4570 3.2ghz

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5-2650-v2-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4570
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2620-v2-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4570/m4718vs2770

Its xeon e5 2650v2, almost exact same perf as ryzen 7 1700 or 1600 I don't remember.

Mine is i5 4460.

And yeah I'm also looking for lots of cores because I plan to

* do mixed reality video
* use the computer as a multi purpose server.

Currently my i5 4460 was used for:
  • file server,
  • web server,
  • Plex media server with transcoding,
  • Data backup server,
  • 2 cctv streams with record on motion detected,
  • video encoding server
  • Some light gaming (only got Radeon HD 7770)

Last edited:
quest tracking is a lot better than PSVR, be sure to have the latest firware update installed.

It auto updates, it doesn't even allows me to link the quest without updating the headset and both controllers.

Anyway my PSVR setup is not typical (camera up high on the wall, looking down)

Ugh using wireless oculus quest to play JP games is a nightmare.

Even a game from big dev like Square Enix Japan (Tales of wedding rings VR) instantly stuck in PAUSE menu as soon as game start

Wanna try oculus link but I can't due incompatibility with AMD GPU

So my original rift died. Plastic parts gave away and headset disintegrated. It was good 3.5 years of fun. I upgraded to oculus quest. After week of using quest these are my findings.

Quest is really great overall. Easy to setup/use, guardian system is much enhanced, standalone mode is better than one would expect from old mobile soc. Tracking works great as long as cameras see controllers, no visible lag, accurate enough though not quite as solid as external sensor solutions. Lenses are much better than in rift but not perfect.

There are many things that I don't like about quest but none of them are dealbreaker for me when considering this is wireless 399$ standalone device that also works with steamvr/rift content.

Screen door effect is there and easily visible. Much better than original rift though. Controllers feel worse/cheaper at hand than original oculus touch. Headset is very front heavy and makes longer sessions painful for my nose.

I have been using quest a lot with pc via oculus link. There definitely is some lag in this configuration but for me it is not dealbreaker. The lag is very minimal as is any degradation on image quality through link. I got some random 9feet 18$ cable from amazon, works without issues.

Overall I would say quest is the headset to buy this year. It just works with pc(tried steam and rift pc content). As a bonus one gets standalone mode. It's also very cheap compared to something like valve index.

As much as rift s sucks and was step backwards quest is great leap forwards. Really happy I bought quest and not something else.

Last edited:
Headset is very front heavy and makes longer sessions painful for my nose.

This makes me think they should have tried to do something similar to the HoloLens. Distribute everything around the head so that the weight is more evenly balanced.

Having the batteries, SOC PCB, lenses and lens housing all at the front seems to be a not so great idea. At the very least put the batteries at the back of the head.

Regards,
SB

Just tape a power bank on the back.

Yes it looks ugly and stupid, but it works

Still not as comfortable as PSVR tho.

Looking back, PSVR is really a marvel. Even Oculus Quest that come out years later still can't beat it in many aspects. RGB subpixels and halo band design works really great

Can't wait for psvr2

Uh... No one is buying my quest. If it's still there after I'm home (in a week or two) I think I'll just use it as PCVR instead of using PSVR + iVRy to play PCVR.

i wonder how many videos of men fapping Facebook has collected with the Quest now ? o_O

Uh... I think that sentence needs a comma

Yeah the Facebook link is a major bummer with Oculus. Though I have a feeling everyone else is data mining your usage to some degree as well.

Oculus quests are sold out. Used are selling at crazy prices. Oculus store shows late January for availability.

On Amazon in the United States, the $400 64GB model is being sold by third-parties through Amazon from prices starting at $895, going up to $1,100 – almost 3x the original retail price. Similarly, prices for the $500 128GB model from third party sellers on Amazon start at $1000 and go up as high as $1500.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-out-of-stock/

Unfortunate that Facebook is associated with it.

Back