The Outer Worlds (Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division) [XO, PS4]

This game isn't really grabbing me. I thought I was going to love this because Obsidian and New Vags, but after I got to the Groundbreaker I just stopped playing.
I did the side quests for a while, then I decided to beeline it to the finish. Luckily the game isn't that long. But I get why you'd feel that way.
Some of the things i found funny, like the STDs and stuff. The dialog can be funny as well. But the combat is pretty boring and fairly simplistic.

Looks like another difficulty level is needed above "difficult"... to be able to switch during the play I mean

I did the side quests for a while, then I decided to beeline it to the finish. Luckily the game isn't that long. But I get why you'd feel that way.
Some of the things i found funny, like the STDs and stuff. The dialog can be funny as well. But the combat is pretty boring and fairly simplistic.
I will probably end up loving it on my 2nd try. Same thing happened with Dishonored and Prey.

I feel like they missed a trick with the first science gun you can get,
the shrink ray. It would have been hilarious if you could, with TTD location hits, shrink specific body parts and have enemies react accordingly.
That would have been hilarious

I feel like they missed a trick with the first science gun you can get,
the shrink ray. It would have been hilarious if you could, with TTD location hits, shrink specific body parts and have enemies react accordingly.

I can already guess what the first target of that gun would have been for most people. :p

The crotch. :p

Regards,
SB

You know it. :devilish: It's already an achievement, though I can't figure out which TTD location description matches up to it ("weaken?").

Edit: It's weaken. They could even change the TTD location descriptions for that specific gun.
Emasculate. Doink. The possibilities are endless.

I'm enjoying the character the most.

Inventory stuff, mods, etc are a bit of a chore. Always having to swap weapons, salvage, repair and so on just isn't fun and distracts from the immersion.

The rpg character elements are good as is the dialogue and banter. I wish they'd cut down on the filler stuff. There's a good game here. It's just diluted with noise carried over from legacy or forced "tradition" of what a rpg should have.

Finished the main story and per the save about 17hours total. Character was maxed out but I certainly didn't finish every side quest.

I did fast travel a decent amount once I had explored an area already. It's not fun just walking around although you miss out of some good conversation between the squads.

Overall, I enjoyed it a good amount and for me, it was the right amount of length. Still would like the legacy RPG baggage to be resolved in the sequel somehow.

Finished the main story and per the save about 17hours total. Character was maxed out but I certainly didn't finish every side quest.

I did fast travel a decent amount once I had explored an area already. It's not fun just walking around although you miss out of some good conversation between the squads.

Overall, I enjoyed it a good amount and for me, it was the right amount of length. Still would like the legacy RPG baggage to be resolved in the sequel somehow.

Always interesting to see other people's viewpoints.

I'm on the opposite side where I think they could have done with making it more of an RPG. The items in particular were rather lackluster. Good quantity but low variety.

Inventory management could have used some work. It's an obvious case of consolification (which is a legacy of trying to make a Fallout 3: NV like action RPG and one of the reasons I vehemently hate Fallout 3 and 4) when you compare it to Obsidian's other more RPG and PC focused games like Divinity Original Sin.

While I haven't finished it yet, still haven't had time to play, from what I've seen (and I've seen the entire game multiple times over) it is a very well executed relatively short casual first person RPG. Nothing wrong with that and the dialog is extremely well done, IMO. After all, not everyone is looking for the full RPG experience.

I just wish it was more of an RPG. :p I guess I've been spoiled by RPGs like Divinity Original Sin, Path of Exile, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, etc.

If there's anything I'm so very thankful to Kickstarter for, is allowing us to see such a glorious resurgence of really good CRPGs.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Inventory is terrible and a huge chore. Comparing weapons to what you have equipped is a pain, and as weapon damage changes with certain skills, it’s not clear what damage you’ll do with a weapon vs how your allies will fare. There’s a toggle in the options to switch between showing base damage vs actual damage, but neither may be accurate for your allies.

The voice acting was pretty good to great, and some of the descriptions were hilarious. It felt polished, if not perfect.

Inventory is terrible and a huge chore. Comparing weapons to what you have equipped is a pain, and as weapon damage changes with certain skills, it’s not clear what damage you’ll do with a weapon vs how your allies will fare. There’s a toggle in the options to switch between showing base damage vs actual damage, but neither may be accurate for your allies.

The voice acting was pretty good to great, and some of the descriptions were hilarious. It felt polished, if not perfect.

Fully agreed. This is what I meant by legacy RPG chores. Pretty much gave up on having a strategy around aligning weapons, armors etc as it was much too cumbersome to make sense of it and frankly it meant nothing as pure damage always won out.

By the time I finished the game, I just increased weapon damage and put points into companion skill cooldown and damage. Basically built a full on DPS build and the last boss was a walk. This is on one below hardest setting.

Last edited:
I’m 20hrs in and haven’t finished. I blame the inventory. ;)
This is definitely an Obsidian thing. let's make the inventory too small, put too much in it and make it difficult to manage. :runaway: I don't mind managing an inventory in games but I don't want to micromanage it.

Back