What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and after all the horrible, awful things I heard about it I ended up loving it and stayed up until 2:30 playing last night! (This is from a guy who HAS to be up at 7am every day now)

They said it was impossible to play without a controller, bullshit! Keyboard/mouse is fine once you figure out where the invert y-scale is. (Scroll down from the controller setting, so stupid!) The game automagically set itself to epic on all settings for me and ran a solid 60 fps at 1080 on my Ry5 1600/RX580.

I'm enjoying it, shocking but true! :love:

Yup the Jedi game is good. I'm playing with a controller though. No need to be masochistic about KB/Mouse ;)
It's really not masochistic, I'm not having any problems or issues and don't see the need for a controller.
I think it's just keyboard/mouse I have way better muscle memory with than anything else and can adapt pretty well as I've had to over the years. (Plus I have a Logitech G700s with about 13 buttons on it and most of them are programmable and I use them ALL constantly. ;) )

Kingdom Hearts! :love: Wonderful game (playing the 1.5 PS3 remaster).

Some bosses are quite tough, though! Well, I play in difficult, but some fights are frustrating. I'm having a difficult time fighting effing Ursula! Yeah, sure, use elixirs, but every time I stop to drink a potion, a fucking moray comes and finishes me off. So annoying! I guess I'll have to grind a bit more.

I started playing DMC5. The game has amazing quality. Visuals are polished extremely well, so is the animation. But damn so far is missing in atmosphere and the flow is interrupted all the time with pointless cut scenes and highlights.
None of the DMC games reached the amazing atmosphere of the original. Each area in the first was memorable. Not as much in this one so far.
For some reason many developers as they make sequel after sequel they choose more and more modern urban environments instead of memorable locations to the point where their games are looking generic.
Its the same with Resident Evil. It started in a mansion and 6 ended having a whole country with zombies in generic environments. 7 got it right by returning to it's isolated roots.

I actually thought RE6 had some fairly cool environments. Really well rendered ones too, especially given the game's size. Besides, we've had 4 RE games with mansions in them already. Heck, technically it was 5 games considering the developers put a mansion section on a bloody boat in RE Revelations.

Also, wasn't the first DMC supposed be RE4 originally? Explains the level design (and also the shitty camera angles)

Alien Isolation on the Switch. AKA greatest port of a (sort of) current gen game for the system. Maybe the devs did axe a couple of tiny details, but I certainly couldn't tell. From models to textures to shadows to lighting (including the gorgeous, dynamically lit particle effects and the volumetrics) - it's all there, looking basically identical to what's on the PS4. Framerate is rock solid in both docked and handheld play. Resolution (according to the devs) is 1080p/720p. Maybe there's some dynamic res stuff going on, though. No idea about that. Sound is punchy and gutteral as well. I didn't notice any compression there either.
Here's the amazing part: It actually looks better than the console versions if you can believe it. AI has always had problems with anti aliasing: I'm assuming there was no temporal component to the original AA solution which meant loads of flickering from the many, many specular highlights. You can only get rid of it on PC via an unofficial mod as far as I know. Well, there's no flickering on the Switch version. AI looks remarkably clean in stills and IQ remains perfectly stable in motion. It's a tad bit softer looking. Reminds me of UE4's AA.

Alien Isolation on the Switch. AKA greatest port of a (sort of) current gen game for the system. Maybe the devs did axe a couple of tiny details, but I certainly couldn't tell. From models to textures to shadows to lighting (including the gorgeous, dynamically lit particle effects and the volumetrics) - it's all there, looking basically identical to what's on the PS4. Framerate is rock solid in both docked and handheld play. Resolution (according to the devs) is 1080p/720p. Maybe there's some dynamic res stuff going on, though. No idea about that. Sound is punchy and gutteral as well. I didn't notice any compression there either.
Here's the amazing part: It actually looks better than the console versions if you can believe it. AI has always had problems with anti aliasing: I'm assuming there was no temporal component to the original AA solution which meant loads of flickering from the many, many specular highlights. You can only get rid of it on PC via an unofficial mod as far as I know. Well, there's no flickering on the Switch version. AI looks remarkably clean in stills and IQ remains perfectly stable in motion. It's a tad bit softer looking. Reminds me of UE4's AA.
I wonder if the TAA is basically the Alias Isolation Mod on PC, I refuse to play the game without it anymore.

A:I had such an amazing tech,
Probe based dynamic GI including flashlight bounce.
Texture based shading of transparent objects/particle effects etc. (Doom and Star Citizen also has this now a days.)

It's a slightly less impressive acomplishment when you remember how well the ps360 versions hold up aa well. Still, the AA is a great, and very needed, addition

My gf had it on PS3 at the time, and while that version was absolutely playable, it really didn't hold up all that well. Sure, most of the game's visual embellishments were in that version as well, but you also got loads of framerate problems, a sub 720p resolution, no motion blur, tearing, low-res textures (decals liket he graffiti in particular) and awfully long loading times. It wasn't a Watch Dogs or Shadows of Mordor debacle by any means, but it was still one of those cross-gen games that seemed like it was primarily made for the newer platforms and then stripped down in order to run on the older machines.

So while Alien Isolation was certainly no Witcher 3 in terms of how much of a porting headache it must have been, just how well it was ported over is impressive nonetheless. It was probably very helpful that Feral were already very familiar with the game as they also handled the PC version which was very well optimized.

I wonder if the TAA is basically the Alias Isolation Mod on PC, I refuse to play the game without it anymore.

A:I had such an amazing tech,
Probe based dynamic GI including flashlight bounce.
Texture based shading of transparent objects/particle effects etc. (Doom and Star Citizen also has this now a days.)

All of that stuff is still there and it looks splendid.
Such a terrific game too. My 2014 goty actually. And now I can play it while crapping myself ... on the crapper.

New Game Pass Quests for Microsoft Rewards Points has got me playing different playing games again. Been playing these...

• The Gardens Between, it's a id@Xbox game, kinda weird, but neat puzzle game, might go back to this
  • Old Man's Journey, another weird id@Xbox game, don't think I will go back to it
  • Enter the Gungeon - kinda like Gauntlet, played past the tutorial, not bad, if it has online co-op I could back
  • Superhot - finished the single player & played some of endless mode, got Portal & Braid vibes, it's really odd, but really liked it, probably won't come back to endless mode
  • Monster Hunter World - still working on this, definitely not my kinda game, but I think I beat my first large monster, I need 2 for +100 points, deleting right after I get the points LOL
BTW, if you haven't been using the mobile Game Pass app I would. You can track all the quests there or in your GamerTag profile on the Xbox dashboard. There are single, weekly & monthly quests. That's on top of any quests you can do in the Xbox Microsoft Rewards app. I've been getting about 400 points a day, sometimes over 500. And that's not spending any money other than the Game Pass Ultimate subscription. Got enough in the past 78 days to get a $50 Xbox gift card. I think I will hoard the points & cash in when there's a Hot Deal on the gift cards. Might have enough to put a pretty good deposit on Scarlett before it comes out.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back