Formula 1 - 2019 Season

Wow wtf, did they Haas?
And Gasly 2nd??? :runaway:

I have to sleep for these last ones so I'm missing out :no:

After a restart Leclerc passed vettel and Vettel came back at him and Leclerc's front right made contact with Vettel's rear left. Both tires failed.

Then Hamilton tried to pass Albon and pushed Albon off and Gasly got past and just hung on for 2nd.

Several incidents are pending investigation including the two mentioned there were drs under yellow and passing before the line incidents from back in the field. Stewards will be busy a while, but 1st and 2nd should hold, hamilton could lose 3rd, but doubt it.

Bottas had retired with an engine failure. Sainz also had a great race, 4th from starting 20th. If they do penalize Hamilton I guess he'd be 3rd.

Last edited:
Kimi Räikkönen might actually end up on podium - Hamilton is obviously investigated for the incident with Albon, but apparently now Sainz is under investigation too for using DRS too early after safety car

edit: Hamilton got 5 seconds, dropped to 7th. Sainz is still investigated but no decision yet

https://streamable.com/0e9m9

Seems pretty clear cut case, Sainz used DRS when DRS wasn't allowed even if it wasn't for long, should be penalty without any questions.
Apparently the stewards are busy trying to deal with Vettel & Leclerc which is why this is taking so long

edit:
Tobi Grüner says there's apparently six cars in total investigated for illegal use of DRS, and according to Sky Alfa Romeos aren't any of those, which sounds good for Kimi's podium chances

edit2: according to some Sainz case wasn't after safety car but before it during yellow flags

edit3: no penalty for Sainz despite illegal use of DRS

Last edited:
edit3: no penalty for Sainz despite illegal use of DRS
Very bad wording. No penalty for Sainz because it *wasn't* illegal use of DRS. Drivers are allowed to use DRS under yellow flags, but they still have to slow down by the same margin over normal lap times.

Very bad wording. No penalty for Sainz because it *wasn't* illegal use of DRS. Drivers are allowed to use DRS under yellow flags, but they still have to slow down by the same margin over normal lap times.
Checking the news on various sites, I'm not sure anymore if it was under yellows or behind safety car where he used DRS, but everyone seems to agree that it was indeed illegal use of DRS, but was forgiven (just like everyone else who did the same)

Checking the news on various sites, I'm not sure anymore if it was under yellows or behind safety car where he used DRS, but everyone seems to agree that it was indeed illegal use of DRS, but was forgiven (just like everyone else who did the same)
It was under yellows, and it wasn't illegal.

RACER understands the FIA looked into Sainz’s use of DRS but found he slowed in that sector in response to the yellow flags and decided against opening an official investigation.

The rule changed in 2018 to allow DRS under yellow flags, but the drivers are still responsible for ensuring they slow sufficiently.

@cjo

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/28107776/why-carlos-sainz-stripped-maiden-f1-podium-brazil

Two hours after the race finished, Hamilton was given a five-second time penalty, which relegated him to seventh position. However, it was uncertain whether Sainz, who had finished fourth, would inherit the place or face a penalty of his own for using his Drag Reduction System (DRS) overtaking aid while double waved yellows were being shown so marshals could recover Valtteri Bottas' stranded car in what eventually became the first Safety Car deployment of the race.

Drivers had been told in Friday's drivers' briefing that penalties would be handed down for opening the DRS during any double yellow situation, but Sainz was let off.

"It was actually the main topic on Friday we spoke about," Bottas said after the race. "They said that there would be penalties for that. Obviously, double yellows it means something severe. Pretty bad things have happened in the past with yellow flags so for sure it's not something to play with, the DRS."

This is getting ridiculous now, but nothing new from F1 stewards I suppose

"We looked at it, and the overriding factor was double yellow flags is the requirement to slow, and significantly slow, and that's what we looked at with all of them," Masi said on Sunday evening. "All of them complied with that
I really don't see how opening the rear wing is a safety issue in and of itself. They made the right call.

I really don't see how opening the rear wing is a safety issue in and of itself. They made the right call.
Not when they specifically tell the drivers before not to do so and that if you do, there will be penalties

Perhaps they decided to go with reason.
Perhaps, perhaps not, but all it does is eat away the credibility of stewards in eyes of not only fans, but also drivers, when they first emphasize one way and then do the other.
I would understand your point if they hadn't literally same weekend emphasized that you can't do it and you will be penalized for it, but they did.

The problem with what they said is that it went against reason. Half of the drivers on the track did it (4 had retired, 2 were involved in the incident, 1 was leading and 8 opened drs, how many drivers with DRS available didn't trigger it?, It might have been all of the ones with DRS available.) The light goes green and muscle memory triggers and they push the button.

No one comprised safety.

If they really cared, why don't they disable drs when there is double yellow?

Last edited:
Perhaps, perhaps not, but all it does is eat away the credibility of stewards in eyes of not only fans, but also drivers, when they first emphasize one way and then do the other.
I would understand your point if they hadn't literally same weekend emphasized that you can't do it and you will be penalized for it, but they did.
If someone had gained an advantage, or it had just been one person then I suspect the outcome would have been different. If they did say that drivers would be penalised for opening DRS and then decided to penalise all 8 of those drivers, there would have been serious questions about whether the stewards are damaging the sport by interfering too much with races. The intent of what they said on the Friday was to ensure that drivers slowed sufficiently. If the drivers slowed sufficiently even with DRS open, it shouldn't be a problem.

If they really cared, why don't they disable drs when there is double yellow?
Because there are multiple DRS zones on the track, and they don't want it to interfere with other zones.

Because there are multiple DRS zones on the track, and they don't want it to interfere with other zones.

The technology to turn off one detection zone without affecting the other is beyond them?

Perhaps they should run ad for a programmer. 'Needed highly experienced computer programmer to write and implement 2 lines of code.'

Last edited:
The technology to turn off one detection zone without affecting the other is beyond them?
I don't know about beyond them, but definitely a higher cost than just telling the drivers that they need to make sure they slow sufficiently under yellows.

Perhaps they should run ad for a programmer. 'Needed highly experienced computer programmer to write and implement 2 lines of code.'
They actually did say that they can't just disable one DRS-Zone. I would guess it's more than just couple lines of code to make it work in the mess that's F1 telemetry

"Extensive experience in basic an asset"

They've clearly added drs zones and disable them all at times during the race, I find it hard to believe it would be difficult to temporarily disable one.

So all over now.
Caught 2nd half of replay

Hamilton was pole, led the whole way, fastest lap, easy win.
Verstappen 2nd secures 3rd overall.
Bottas cut through the field like butter from last to 4th.

Ferraris apparently in some trouble with fuel stuff.
Albon a solid 6th (but looks like it could have been better).

Kvyat in the points 9th from a pretty mediocre 13th on grid, looks like he had a long initial stint on hards & made some late overtakes.
Gasly got in trouble on first lap & sad 18th but I think it has to be admitted that Gasly & Albon both out performed Kvyat overall for the season.

Last edited:
This is even more impressive than it seems, he got up to 5th without DRS before DRS was finally enabled on lap 18

Hamilton cruised to victory while Bottas had a brand new everything that they could turn up to 11 for the whole race. In a car that can always cruise to 6th, getting 4th place really isn't that impressive IMO. Even if part of it was without DRS.

Back