Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

What a weird game. Torture of women and children is A-OK as is portrayals of killing children. However, bloodless dismemberment of humanoids is out of the question.

One of the better Star Wars games in the past decade, but still doesn't hold a candle to KOTOR 1 & 2 or the Jedi Knight games, IMO. Granted the KOTOR games were RPGs.

Also,

It bothers me immensely that Cere uses a Sith lightsaber to knight Cal Kestis

Regards,
SB

I'm really enjoying it. Bumped it up to its second highest level of difficulty and what I got was basically Star Souls. It feels rather unfinished, though. Reminds me of the release version of another prominent UE4 game: Days Gone. Loads of what I'm assuming to be IO-related hitching issues. Thankfully it's very stable during combat at least. Certainly could've used another 1 or 2 months in the oven. Hopefully an EA-owned company is gonna be given the time and money Bend studios got to support the title post release. Bit of a shame all the same considering what we got teeters on the brink of greatness.

One thing that struck me as being a bit strange in light of the past Star Wars games that I played. There is no choice in the game. You can't choose to be Light side or Dark side. All of the non-space simulation Star Wars games I've ever played allowed the player to decide whether they would be virtuous and stay with the Light or whether they would be seduced by the temptations of the Dark side.

To me, it feels like more of Disney's influence. Granted I didn't play some of the linear Star Wars games from the X360/PS3 era as they seemed far too dull, so maybe this has been a recent trend in Star Wars games?

That said, I'm interested to see if Respawn are allowed to follow up with another title in the series. I hope they get the chance.

Regards,
SB

It's pretty good. I'm playing on the highest difficulty and it feels like a cross between Dark Souls and Prince of Persia with a Star Wars theme. Fun game.

One thing that struck me as being a bit strange in light of the past Star Wars games that I played. There is no choice in the game. You can't choose to be Light side or Dark side. All of the non-space simulation Star Wars games I've ever played allowed the player to decide whether they would be virtuous and stay with the Light or whether they would be seduced by the temptations of the Dark side.

To me, it feels like more of Disney's influence. Granted I didn't play some of the linear Star Wars games from the X360/PS3 era as they seemed far too dull, so maybe this has been a recent trend in Star Wars games?

Both Force Unleashed games only prompted a dark / light side decision at the very end IIRC but those are a decade old and there's been no other Star Wars game save from battlefront and lego stuff.

I think it's nice that not all star wars games somehow need to implement a good/bad choice/path. I think that method of defining the alignment throughout in-game choices is good for pure(r) RPG games where the genre itself pushes for defining your character, which Bioware (KOTOR) then applied to the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series.

Fallen Order is a game that wants to tell you their story, not a game that wants you to build your story. I don't think Disney had anything to do with this decision.

. Reminds me of the release version of another prominent UE4 game: Days Gone. Loads of what I'm assuming to be IO-related hitching issues.

Yup, Darksiders 3 had the exact same issues too.

Animations in Star Wars are poor , look bad and not very responsive.

Last edited:
I decided to put the game aside for a while. I think the somewhat shambolic state the game's currently in really doesn't do the solid foundations enough justice.

I really enjoyed this game. I felt sometimes that a waypoint on scenarios previously finished could be added, but overall, I really enjoyed.
I don't often finish games, this gen I only completed Witcher 3 and Spiderman (my 1st and only Platinum). This was the 3rd game I finished.

Now I'm thinking about going to Titanfall 2 to experience more games from Respawn.

What exactly is shambolic? I had zero problems with the game.

I encountered everything from annoying stutters all the way to seconds-long freezes , textures that fail to load, glitchy traversal mechanics and enemies floating to their spawn points in their t-poses. Granted, none of it was game-breaking, but these issues happened frequently enough to chip away at the game's immersive qualities.

Necro bump, just finished this, wanted to get it out of my backlog before Series X. Only took a year? Played here and there.

Too be honest it's one of the few campaigns I really enjoyed. There is tons and tons of jank of course, but I found the overall explore/reward loop to be really fun.

I dont know, I'd estimate the campaign took at least 40 hours? I dont know if that's just how long open world games are nowdays. It took a long time! I did take extra long on the opening planets screwing around and learning the games systems.

I also really enjoyed the kind of Dark Souls extremely light aspect to it, with cool boss fights you had to learn a little dueling strategy for.

One disappointment is I actually wanted to go back and screw around with new game+, maybe pick up some of the life enhancements I missed on Zeffo (only found 4/14). But you start from the VERY beginning, with no open world unlocked and forced to play the linear prologue. That sucks.

So much great and varied graphics, cutscenes, and just cool stuff in this game. Lots of fantastic variety. Played on One X. The way you are constantly learning about the world is just so great and rewarding unlike 99% of games where I could give a flip about the lore they put in. The fact you get a dollop of precious XP for scanning new things for example, just genius IMO, because it gives you a tangible in game reward for lore.

I do like the cosmetics system, but I do have some big complaints. You can never really make your guy look cool/badass IMO. And a lot of the game is pushing you to customize your lightsaber hilt. While OK and fun, at the end of the day it's a small thing you barely see! Seems silly.

It's interesting in reading about this game EA doesn't really like you to make games about Jedi, they are sort of sacred lore. Some offshoot like Squadrons is more acceptable to them. So basically EA/Respawn had to convince them to let them make this (I assume Respawns reputation helped). And I think they really hit a home run.

I finished this today. It's the only game I've played on my Series X yet. Quite long yeah, not sure about the hours, but definitely a meaty one. The worlds were more complex than I had anticipated and couple puzzles were not immediately clear. I think it had good mix of everything and the pacing was nice. A very solid action adventure game. The game has zero side quests, which I felt was both good and a bad thing. It kept the game focused on the task, but the places felt a bit barren and there wasn't much of lively atmosphere there. Also the loot being only cosmetic, made finding the boxes a bit boring and unnecessary. I do not care at all what the shape of the sword was or what the guy was wearing. I think I just used the default stuff all the way. Even a token stat boosts would have made the gear feel like something. I felt like the final baddie had a couple cheapo moves that made me say a few expletives, but finally managed to beat
that fucking CUNT!

Wouldn't mind a sequel to this.

I've played up to the third level of this so far and quite enjoyed it. Not sure about the second level, which is presumably a hub you return to as powers grow. You go from that fantastic looking ship graveyard to the very obviously game level looking environment. It's really jarring.

Almost done with this, I've been trying to get all the achievements(28 of 39 unlocked or 78% complete) before doing the last level. I finished getting all the chests, secrets & all maps on all planets explored. Still missing a few characters in the Databank & I think 1 enemy type. Do I need to finish all of these achievements before I finish the game or can I do some finishing up afterwards? Don't want to start all over from the beginning.

Love this game. Reminds me of the newer Tomb Raider games set in Star Wars.

Tommy McClain

Playing right now. So far I love it, feels like mix of uncharted and dark souls. Solid puzzles good gameplay and story.

Back