How to deal with major Announcements and not Osbourne *spawn*

So the actual content of this message isn't that great then. I mean, there's a great image with a load of box art, but that's content appearing over a year largely consisting of smaller titles rather than big-ticket games. The implication being that Game Pass is great if you want indie titles, but won't serve AAA titles on the cheap. I guess publishers are seeing it as poor economy versus selling the games.

Wondering if there's a change of industry interest? Checking the current list, there's 362 titles (PC and console look to be duplicated). ID@Xbox titles is only 56, so a small proportion. There are plenty of big ticket items. So, did MS pay up well to secure notable names for launch, and now interest has dwindled and publishers aren't putting their AA/AAA games on there? Or are negotiations ongoing and this announcement doesn't represent what the library will be in a year's time?

There’s a bit of a difference I think here. AA/AAA content trickles into game pass monthly. Each month they’ll announce a new game pass title, and other game pass ones. But there is often a feature title. And MS tries to interweave AAA titles with their own 1P releases. For me Rage 2 will be my next since I’ve already completed the other ones. There are still quite a few AAA titles on game pass as it is.

ID@Xbox titles are the indie side of things. If I was an indie and wanted a huge market to play my game; that’s also where I would put it.

The announced list does not represent everything coming to game pass.

The announced list does not represent everything coming to game pass.
What exactly is the point of it then? "Here's 50 games coming over the next year, but it's not all the games." Why make that announcement (and exclude the fact it's not the limit of what's coming)? I mean, it's a sales pitch, 'look how great our platform is', only it's not all that great in this pitch and could be represented a lot better from the sounds of it. ;)

What exactly is the point of it then? "Here's 50 games coming over the next year, but it's not all the games." Why make that announcement (and exclude the fact it's not the limit of what's coming)? I mean, it's a sales pitch, 'look how great our platform is', only it's not all that great in this pitch and could be represented a lot better from the sounds of it. ;)
That’s exactly what is was. A sales pitch. Commitment to the platform. Showcase of confirmed titles coming to game pass. there are a great deal of unconfirmed titles likely under negotiation still.

Basically trying to lock in as many people as they can into the service before marketing/messaging is dominated by next-gen discussion.

A lot of the AAA new IPs announced are likely far from done. This is a step in the opposite direction for MS; who has been withholding announcements until close to release.

All of this; showcase of commitment to gaming serviced and games. 12 months to go. MS needs to prove a lot to reverse their XBO reveal to the general public. Make their attempts to win back the populations lost to Sony.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's a sales pitch that I feel does more harm than good. Just announce the current new releases and what's coming by end of the year maybe. Why present a year's look-ahead when that look-ahead is pretty weak if that's not the reality of the offering? This announcement suggests all Game Pass is good for in 2020 is a couple dozen indie titles. Not talking about 2020 would be a stronger message leaving people to assume more and better titles are coming.

Yeah, but it's a sales pitch that I feel does more harm than good. Just announce the current new releases and what's coming by end of the year maybe. Why present a year's look-ahead when that look-ahead is pretty weak if that's not the reality of the offering? This announcement suggests all Game Pass is good for in 2020 is a couple dozen indie titles. Not talking about 2020 would be a stronger message leaving people to assume more and better titles are coming.
Or it was just an additional opportunity for them to further showcase the value proposition against the Stadia launch of 12 titles with no other titles coming in the horizon.

I disagree. I see plenty to get excited about in that list. Content is content and there are a lot of hours of gaming there. They don't all have to be AAA titles. In fact, given the formulaic nature of most big budget releases, I'd prefer they weren't. Is your issue that the implied, "and more to come in perpetuity as we continue to sign deals over time" wasn't specifically spelled out?

Is your issue that the implied, "and more to come in perpetuity as we continue to sign deals over time" wasn't specifically spelled out?
Yes. It's presented as the following year's line-up. There's nothing to suggest more will happen. Like Netflix advertising over the next year, there'll be 10 box-sets made available and 20 films added of which 50% are indie productions. As a subscriber, I'd think, "oh, is that it," and pull my subscription. If they're also adding another 40 AAA Hollywood smashes and award winning series, by not telling my that, they are representing the future value poorly.

Basically you need lots of content to have enough to appeal to different people's different tastes. Game Pass came out of the gate with big-name titles and very clear value that you were getting $60 games on the cheap. 2020 looks, from the evidence of this list, to be slowing down.

Yes. It's presented as the following year's line-up. There's nothing to suggest more will happen.

You must have never followed or paid attention to last year's Game Pass ads then. There is nothing to suggest this a definitive list. That is based on history and past behavior.

Yes. It's presented as the following year's line-up. There's nothing to suggest more will happen. Like Netflix advertising over the next year, there'll be 10 box-sets made available and 20 films added of which 50% are indie productions. As a subscriber, I'd think, "oh, is that it," and pull my subscription. If they're also adding another 40 AAA Hollywood smashes and award winning series, by not telling my that, they are representing the future value poorly.

Basically you need lots of content to have enough to appeal to different people's different tastes. Game Pass came out of the gate with big-name titles and very clear value that you were getting $60 games on the cheap. 2020 looks, from the evidence of this list, to be slowing down.

That's just a weird take to me. The nature of the service would dictate that it will be continually evolving as games move in and out of it. I don't see the issue with presenting a snapshot of the deals in place as of today. The time frame referenced simply conveys that some of the games listed aren't going to be immediately available and might be a ways out from release (or from being added to the service) and therefore the time window for that list of games extends into 2020. I, for one, didn't read it as a definitive and final list for both now and the coming year.

You must have never followed or paid attention to last year's Game Pass ads then. There is nothing to suggest this a definitive list. That is based on history and past behavior.

Very much this.

And further, the commitment involved in subscribing to Game Pass is so relatively insignificant that all it takes is one game in each month to make it worthwhile and that commitment need only last for that month. Unlike with a console purchase, you don't subscribe to GamePass for what it's going to have over the next XX amount of time. You subscribe to GamePass for what it has right now and continue to subscribe in subsequent months for as long as it has games on it in those months that make that subscription worth the money.

You must have never followed or paid attention to last year's Game Pass ads then.
Most people being marketed to aren't keeping tabs on prior adverts. ;) If this is in response to Stadia, far better to list all the games currently available in the entire library - that's a far stronger message.

Most people being marketed to aren't keeping tabs on prior adverts. ;) If this is in response to Stadia, far better to list all the games currently available in the entire library - that's a far stronger message.

Too much information. A list too large to consume quickly will more likely get ignored entirely.

It's presented as a list of "confirmed" titles for the platform that will be appearing on the platform starting this year.

It doesn't contain titles that haven't been confirmed yet because Microsoft are always working to get titles on the platform. Often times this is due to ongoing negotiations (Phil talking abut his many trips to Japan to get Japanese publishers on board, for example) and sometimes it's due to titles just not being released to market yet.

As well, some publishers might have already inked deals to have a title appear on Game Pass, but don't want any announcements as they wish to sell copies of the title to consumers prior to it appearing on Game Pass. I'm pretty sure, for example, that some 3rd party titles launching this Holiday season will appear on Game Pass at some point next year. What would be the incentive for those developers/publishers if MS announced that those titles were appearing on the platform prior to them even being released to the public?

Just look at the recent additions. Rage 2 wasn't announce for Game Pass until it was ready to be played. No prior announcement, yet it's on the platform now.

I'm constantly surprised at not only the additions that are added to Game Pass PC, but the sheer quantity of titles every month. Far more than I expected. Far FAR more than were announced prior to their appearance on the platform. Oct., for example, had over 20 titles added to the platform over the month.

Perhaps something like that could have been communicated better, but how cluttered do you want that page to be? And how do you communicate something like that?

Regards,
SB

How you can spin showing too many games in a promo as a negative is beyond me. Remember this isn't just some announcement for today, but for the holiday season. Gift givers are making choices now for the holiday season. And releasing a sales pitch for a platform's future is just being smart. BTW, if you're not going to announce the 11 or so 2020 id@Xbox games, then I guess announcing the 14 Final Fantasy & Yakuza titles coming in 2020 is stupid too? Sometimes this board just makes me scratch my head.

Tommy McClain

How you can spin showing too many games in a promo as a negative is beyond me.
I take objection to you calling it spin. I'm not trying to create a narrative but just expressing my interpretation and response to this. It's not the number of games complained about either, but the quality and type. It's exactly as I've expressed - it looks like the platform is 'slowing down'. Same as, same, PS+'s extra games. This went from multiple big ticket games and indie darlings to a fair amount of filler at times.

Remember 3rd party would have to sign off to it, and very few will highlight newer titles going in there so far in advance.

MS also needs to spread out the name drops, every month drop a AAA name.

Back