What music are you listening to right now?

Have you listened to The Cranberries? They are not so popular nowadays, but they sound so beautiful! I think I like 'Hollywood' and 'Zombie' most of all, then 'Animal Instinct'.

What a great thread/compilation. I happen to be surfing with the following in the background, when I cam across this thread.

And if you can find a better percussionist^, let me know...!

Devin Townsend - Empath

Odd album, even by Devin standards. He basically threw everything he ever did into a blender. And he's not just style-hopping from one song to another. Rather he crams the sounds of City, Synchestra, Ziltoid, Biomech and what-have-you all into one and the same track.
Maybe I'll get used to it, but right now the whole thing comes across like the musical equivalent of masturbating to one self in front of a mirror. And for a whoppin' 74 minutes no less. At least the recording is excellent. Haven't heard such clarity and dynamism in a metal record since Opeth's Pale Communion.

Genesis is a fun track, though.

Last edited:
The Black Satans made a comeback a while back

One might remember them from hits like

and

The band is true norwegian black metal band from Finland :yes:

Yeah, I don't understand it but it sounds good. ;o) Glad I found them together with Kotiteollisuus, Ruoska and Verjnuarmu on Pandora around 10 years ago.
You have checked the few songs they've done in english, right? :)
Also you might enjoy 2 Times Terror, Turmion Kätilöt's main singers sideproject

You have checked the few songs they've done in english, right? :)

Also you might enjoy 2 Times Terror, Turmion Kätilöt's main singers sideproject

Yes, they are good as well but I prefer the finnish ones for some reason. Maybe because it's nice to hear something else than english for a change.

Thanks for reminding me of them. Youtube has recommended them to me in the sidebar from time to time. Mainly the following song and D.E.A.D:

Rush - 2112
Does anyone make songs with this level of complexity today ???

"2112" tells a story set in the city of Megadon in the year 2112,
"where individualism and creativity are outlawed with the population
controlled by a cabal of malevolent Priests who reside in the Temples of Syrinx".
A galaxy-wide war resulted in the planets forcefully joining the Solar Federation (symbolized by the "Red Star").

By 2112, the world is controlled by the priests who take orders from giant banks of computers inside the temple.
Music is unknown in the world absent of creativity and individuality, but in "Discovery", a nameless man finds a beaten guitar inside a cave and rediscovers the lost art of music.
The man takes the guitar to the priests at the temple, who say, "Yes, we know, it's nothing new; it's just a waste of time", and then proceed angrily to destroy it and banish him.
Next, in "Oracle: The Dream", the man dreams of a new planet, established at the same time as the Solar Federation, where creative people live.
He awakens, depressed that music is part of such a civilization and that he can never be part of it, and commits suicide, in "Soliloquy", originally titled "Soliloquy of the Soul" Another planetary war begins in "Grand Finale",resulting in the ambiguous spoken ending:
"Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control".

Rush - 2112
Does anyone make songs with this level of complexity today ???

"2112" tells a story set in the city of Megadon in the year 2112,
"where individualism and creativity are outlawed with the population
controlled by a cabal of malevolent Priests who reside in the Temples of Syrinx".
A galaxy-wide war resulted in the planets forcefully joining the Solar Federation (symbolized by the "Red Star").

By 2112, the world is controlled by the priests who take orders from giant banks of computers inside the temple.
Music is unknown in the world absent of creativity and individuality, but in "Discovery", a nameless man finds a beaten guitar inside a cave and rediscovers the lost art of music.
The man takes the guitar to the priests at the temple, who say, "Yes, we know, it's nothing new; it's just a waste of time", and then proceed angrily to destroy it and banish him.
Next, in "Oracle: The Dream", the man dreams of a new planet, established at the same time as the Solar Federation, where creative people live.
He awakens, depressed that music is part of such a civilization and that he can never be part of it, and commits suicide, in "Soliloquy", originally titled "Soliloquy of the Soul" Another planetary war begins in "Grand Finale",resulting in the ambiguous spoken ending:
"Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control".

Uh that description makes me curious. Gonna try to listen to it after I got out from the throne room :p

Back