Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Google Stadia is November 19, 2019.

Microsoft xCloud is in "beta" now for some Xbox Insiders. I think they may be waiting to see how Stadia fairs before committing, but wouldn't be surprised if they end up more towards Q2 2020. I don't think they're saving it for NextGen launch or even for an E3 release announcement.
Could know a lot more by this Thursday

So in all seriousness, why is the game they were demoing their technology for the longest time not going to make the launch window or possibly even next year? Surely that's a sign of trouble, right?

On a lighter note...
4K 60fps RT Death Stranding coming to Stadia next year.

Most of it is already on YouTube in 4K 60fps, no?

Could know a lot more by this Thursday
I'm expecting to hear more games going into the beta, maybe opening it up to more people and areas.
Most I expect to hear regarding actual release is more details to come at E3 or early next year.
So in all seriousness, why is the game they were demoing their technology for the longest time not going to make the launch window or possibly even next year? Surely that's a sign of trouble, right?
I find it strange the same way I found it strange that xcloud went into beta without forza which they showed running.
I'm not going to assume it's bad for now though, is there another dlc due that they could be wanting to do as an ultimate edition or something?

I don't think there is going to be new DLC for the Doom 2016 game, but maybe they'd add some to promote the upcoming Doom Eternal? About the only game I've seen with out of the blue updates after a number of years has been Borderlands 2 to generate hype for Borderlands 3 series. I'm naturally not talking about games with constant updates since being released.

The bigger concern, IMO, is that it only works well in ideal circumstances. How many people have ideal internet connections for this? And of those, how many are willing to take a gamble on it?

Regards,
SB

I bought it, going to set it up in the office to do wifi testing:) not convinced yet that it will work well. But I am open to being wrong.

Long list of what wont be supported at launch and some tone-deaf responses by Google.

Additional missing features are Stadia Connect, State Share and Crowd Play, features that let players join other games and place content into games.

The achievements system won't have a UI at launch, but it'll still be capturing them so you can see them when it does finally become available.

Your existing Chromecast Ultra will NOT SUPPORT STADIA ON LAUNCH DAY. Only the Founders Edition Chromecast Ultra will support Stadia on launch day, and as a reminder there's a bunch of shipping delays right now.

Family Sharing isn't going to work at launch for Stadia. The team recommends just going ahead and buying a second version of that $60 game so your kid can play on their account, and then eventually you'll be able to share other games.

If I'm reading this correctly, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia. So... there's no web UI right now? Why would you behave this way?

Accessibility features for Stadia? That's in the planning stage, nothing currently even on the roadmap.​

Well, maybe what Sony did with PS Now, available in many countries worldwide with hundred of games since years ago (and counting), was not some easy task to accomplish particular in a financially viable way ? Who knew ?

With all their promises and seemingly limitless resources and experience about Cloud services, Google Stadia offer is ridiculous and actually in some kind of Beta, Microsoft Xcloud still in beta. Both lagging way behind Sony with a simple cloud service. :LOL:

Your troll seems a little silly in light of the announced partnership between Sony and Microsoft. You don't partner with a competitor to do something "simple".

They are rushing out the service to meet a specific release deadline. They are probably very confident they will iron things out before competition responds I guess

Really seems like that they really want to get out before Microsoft release Xcloud I see no other reason for them to release such a barbones product.
I think it's a mistake though, expected more from Google.

There's a lot that MS still has to do; but they can afford to be slower because their main business is still console and they're positioning xCloud as a complementary service for now.

Google will need to get out in-front of MS because if MS can put up a comparable service; Google has to compete with a significantly smaller library without the exclusives, without the years of brand recognition, and without the accessories, which XBO controllers are widely available for use and purchase everywhere and already in the hands of at least 40 million customers.

There's a lot that MS still has to do; but they can afford to be slower because their main business is still console and they're positioning xCloud as a complementary service for now.

Google will need to get out in-front of MS because if MS can put up a comparable service; Google has to compete with a significantly smaller library without the exclusives, without the years of brand recognition, and without the accessories, which XBO controllers are widely available for use and purchase everywhere and already in the hands of at least 40 million customers.
And where does Sony fit into all that? You talk as if it's a two horse race. Sony has everything in place expect mobile device support, and they already have game streaming from PS4 to iOS/Android, so it shouldn't be too hard for Sony to do.

And where does Sony fit into all that? You talk as if it's a two horse race. Sony has everything in place expect mobile device support, and they already have game streaming from PS4 to iOS/Android, so it shouldn't be too hard for Sony to do.
I was trying to keep it with respect to Stadia but alright.
Sony is already out there. Its not like they can beat them to release.
The goal is to capture as much of the market as you can and since Sony has released it's only a real issue for them if Sony is capturing the total addressable market. Which from what I understand they aren't. Might be best to look at it as; you can't change what you can't change, if Google could have gotten out infront of Sony I would have mentioned it, but it's clearly an impossibility.

The remaining market is still up for grabs which is why racing to beat MS there is important to gain those subscribers earlier. It's just a larger pie to work with. By default Sony does not yet have streaming to mobile devices; so this push also makes sense here.

From another point of view; Google and MS are both providers for backbone and service providers. The idea that you can capture the entire TAM is impossible, but with few players you might be able to get similar spread to touching the whole TAM by offering your own service as well as providing for your competitors.

tldr; the most profitable setup is capture what you can with your service and then supply service to your competitors for customers you absolutely had no way of capturing. This option isn't available to Sony; but it is for Google and MS. They have additional incentives for entering this market.

Last edited:
Back