Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

Yeah this is one area where Death Stranding completely outclasses games like HZD, Uncharted, GOW (2018), Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed, etc.

All of those games suck hard when it comes to climbing. Oooh look for the specially painted (WTF?!?!?!?) or excessively worn areas where you are "allowed" to climb. And uh...please ignore, all of those other areas that look climbable but...uh...God said you can't climb there. Sorry. Oh and those tiny little fences? Sorry you can't climb or jump over those. Etc.

Sorry for the mini-rant, one of my pet-peeves in games. Every time I see a game like Legend of Zelda: BOW, Conan Exiles...and now Death Stranding, I hope that future games will move to more organic and at least somewhat realistic climbing instead of the crap that you have in say HZD or Assassins Creed.

Regards,
SB

I don’t recall such limitations on HZD, sure it had highlighted areas...but I recall climbing up a random mountain for the hell of it and finding a random bit of space where the rocks hadn’t been ‘finished’ completely right in the edge of the map.

Yeah this is one area where Death Stranding completely outclasses games like HZD, Uncharted, GOW (2018), Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed, etc.

All of those games suck hard when it comes to climbing. Oooh look for the specially painted (WTF?!?!?!?) or excessively worn areas where you are "allowed" to climb. And uh...please ignore, all of those other areas that look climbable but...uh...God said you can't climb there. Sorry. Oh and those tiny little fences? Sorry you can't climb or jump over those. Etc.

Sorry for the mini-rant, one of my pet-peeves in games. Every time I see a game like Legend of Zelda: BOW, Conan Exiles...and now Death Stranding, I hope that future games will move to more organic and at least somewhat realistic climbing instead of the crap that you have in say HZD or Assassins Creed.

Regards,
SB

Don't both AC Origins and Odyssey let you climb pretty much anything anywhere?

I would debate on Assassin's Creed. Since Origins it's been pretty good with free climb. Apex Legends is surprisingly amazing at climbing.

I don’t recall such limitations on HZD, sure it had highlighted areas...but I recall climbing up a random mountain for the hell of it and finding a random bit of space where the rocks hadn’t been ‘finished’ completely right in the edge of the map.
Nah he is right. Sometimes you couldn't climb a small rock (like one meter high, ridiculous). It was often very annoying particularly knowing using the same engine Kojima actually did it.

Climbing was also 100% without risks, which is odd. Even limited risks of falling like in Tomb Raider would have being welcome. But Horizon is not good at exploration goodness.

The game mechanics are surprisingly deep and complex. It's worth reviewing all the tips and any bold text in the mail.

I repaired the whole road 23 early in the game. Constructions are probably entirely optional, but it's crazy addictive. You do have choices and tools to get to where you need to regardless. There's always a choice of packing your gears to get there faster, or safer, or more confrontation-ready, or plainly having more fun. Being able to plan and draw your route on the map is very cool.

Nah he is right. Sometimes you couldn't climb a small rock (like one meter high, ridiculous). It was often very annoying particularly knowing using the same engine Kojima actually did it.

Climbing was also 100% without risks, which is odd. Even limited risks of falling like in Tomb Raider would have being welcome. But Horizon is not good at exploration goodness.
You know I kinda appreciated the risk free element in HZD. I mean....I want to traverse the environment and discover things. Having to climb down a rock very slowly or having to run around a pig mountain via a spiraling path just to not die would have added extra frustration and have wasted extra time needlessly with no reward at all. The environments are super vast. Imagine how many rocks and cliffs you will have to traverse in a careful slow pace manner just to get to the area next to it. I am sure the developers consciously made it this way when they observed how it killed the fan factor. Sometimes overdoing it with realism doesnt help some games. Now if the game was something like Tomb Raider where climbing hazardous environments is a theme I understand it.

You know I kinda appreciated the risk free element in HZD. I mean....I want to traverse the environment and discover things. Having to climb down a rock very slowly or having to run around a pig mountain via a spiraling path just to not die would have added extra frustration and have wasted extra time needlessly with no reward at all. The environments are super vast. Imagine how many rocks and cliffs you will have to traverse in a careful slow pace manner just to get to the area next to it. I am sure the developers consciously made it this way when they observed how it killed the fan factor. Sometimes overdoing it with realism doesnt help some games. Now if the game was something like Tomb Raider where climbing hazardous environments is a theme I understand it.
Yeah each game have to design something that fit with the rest of the gameplay. Spiderman is the best example of go everywhere in straight line because it's integral to the fun of the game, and the challenge isn't about going there slowly trying to not die, or stealth, etc... Other games have equally good but totally oposite challenges.

Finished the game last night. I loved it.
First time playing Kojima's game in English too so that was kinda weird but it turned out great.
I can totally see some criticism about some of the dialogues but overall really enjoyed the characters and the story. Really unique stuff not just the gameplay but the premise too.
I think this game needs a Very Hard mode. I want to play this with harsher stamina depletion and weapon/shoe degradation.

I kinda want to see Kojima's take on hardcore rock climbing game.

Last edited:
Well I guess I’ll pass.

I have always had a love hate for Kojima’s games. While I love his ability to construct universes filled with compelling characters, I always felt his plots were borderline illogical and convoluted to the point of nonsensical.

Also, the gameplay while serviceable was a little simplistic and unnatural. A bunch of near sighted enemies who refused to wear glasses or contacts, measuring camo and blending in with the background as percentages and building army through kidnapping and balloon lifts are examples.

I could live with that when I was a one man Seal Team tapped to save the world. I can’t live with that when his game is composed of being a delivery guy with special powers. If that makes me shallow and too consumed with consumerism then so be it.

But I’m happy Kojima could make a game without influence from outside funding sources concerned more about commercial success. And I’m happy DS has been met with critical success and there are plenty of gamers who enjoy his new title. Kojima is first and foremost an artist and I can appreciate that without appreciating all of his works.

I know one thing if someone wants to make a highly successful title revolving around shopping at Walmart using a mysterious app that scans UPC codes to uncover a plot against the United States by aliens, the list of potential developer candidates consists of just one name.

LOL

Last edited:
Don't both AC Origins and Odyssey let you climb pretty much anything anywhere?

I haven't played (or even watched anyone play) those two, so I'm just going by the older games that I played. If they have free climb without having to rely on developer placed special climbing spots, then kudos to them as well. :)

Regards,
SB

I haven't played (or even watched anyone play) those two, so I'm just going by the older games that I played. If they have free climb without having to rely on developer placed special climbing spots, then kudos to them as well. :)

Regards,
SB

That explains it. Yeah, climbing is like Breath of the Wild without stamina depletion and super strength now.

Back