Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Evidently Phil Harrison with Google had a interview roundup in the UK with press. Eurogamer was there...

It had been unclear whether these games would cost full-price on Stadia, given you're simply streaming them as opposed to buying a disc or downloading the game onto a hard-drive. But in a roundtable interview with UK games press this morning, attended by Eurogamer, Stadia chief Phil Harrison indicated Stadia games will cost the same as they do on other platforms such as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - that is, they won't be cheaper.

"I don't know why it would be cheaper," Harrison replied when Eurogamer asked.

So, how does Stadia justify charging full-price for a video game you can only stream? By making it available to play on any screen, Harrison said.

"The value you get from the game on Stadia means you can play it on any screen in your life - TV, PC, laptop, tablet, phone," he said. "I think that is going to be valuable to players."

That, and, "In theory, the Stadia version of a game is going to be at the highest-possible quality of innovation and sophistication on the game engine side."

Harrison couldn't, however, confirm exactly how much Stadia games will cost. Instead, he directed us to the publishers of the games themselves. "The publisher or the developer is in as much control of the prices as we are, so it's a bit difficult for me to say what the prices will be right now," he said. "But, we're obviously going to be very aware of prevailing prices in the marketplace."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-27-dont-expect-games-to-be-cheaper-on-google-stadia

They're going to have a hard time convincing folks that their service is worth paying full price for the game.

Tommy McClain

Google Stadia/Xcloud could be a goldmine when it comes to older games that publishers sell online for a few dollars. By taking those games and setting the price on Stadia similarly low in developing countries like India where import tariffs and/or lower GDP put console/PC gaming out of the reach of many.

Imagine Rockstar puts GTA5 for $5 on Google Stadia for India. As their internet infrastructure improves tens of millions of Indians could get into AAA gaming for $5 by play it on Stadia's 1080p free tier.

How long will Google's 'free tier' be free? The running costs for streaming games are far higher than streaming videos, so a reliance on advertising revenue will require huge amounts of adverts. And a cut on a cheap game sale will only pay for the hardware for so long.

I can't see the business proposition there. Free Stadia makes sense while wanting people to adopt streaming, but at some point it'll have to become financed. Or, the paying tier will have to be super, duper profitable to subsidise the bottom tier.

Services like Game Pass where the user could download the game and play on their own hardware makes more sense for everyone as an opportunity for publishers making some money off sales cratered titles. Like Shifty said, streaming hardware has costs that need to be recouped somehow. How would Stadia's three-tier handle recouping costs, injecting advertisements into your stream? Or is Google gaining your gaming habits and preferences be enough to be worth the sunk costs?

How long will Google's 'free tier' be free? The running costs for streaming games are far higher than streaming videos, so a reliance on advertising revenue will require huge amounts of adverts. And a cut on a cheap game sale will only pay for the hardware for so long.

I can't see the business proposition there. Free Stadia makes sense while wanting people to adopt streaming, but at some point it'll have to become financed. Or, the paying tier will have to be super, duper profitable to subsidise the bottom tier.
Google also has free data science compute on Google Colab; it uses their Tesla K80s. I mean that shit can't be cheap to be running tons of compute for people for free.

I sort of get the idea of trying to be viral and then swing around and charge subscriptions. But i don't know how long this will last/work for.

Last edited:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/stadia/negative-latency-prediction

Not a new idea - predict player actions to reduce latency. First they beat us at chess, then in Go, and finally they play our games for us.

"uuhhh - lost internet connection, damn... but, wait... yeah! New Tetris world record!" :D

"Oh no - he's better than me - he'll frag me soon..." - "Pull internet cable! Let Google aim bot finish him for you!" :D

But seriously - in what situations could this ever work? Assisting player movement, pulling triggers on machine guns but not rail guns or what?

Not a new idea - predict player actions to reduce latency. First they beat us at chess, then in Go, and finally they play our games for us.

"uuhhh - lost internet connection, damn... but, wait... yeah! New Tetris world record!" :D

"Oh no - he's better than me - he'll frag me soon..." - "Pull internet cable! Let Google aim bot finish him for you!" :D

But seriously - in what situations could this ever work? Assisting player movement, pulling triggers on machine guns but not rail guns or what?
i'm not complaining. I would love to see the model working on how they trained that. Damn. Incredible

This might throw some light into what is happening.

I wonder, did they also incorporate similar tech to chrome remote desktop?

They overhauled it not long before Stadia. It was a reliable chrome extension, then they overhaul it as a web app that has many more bugs.

If they simply changing from extension to web app, I don't think that many bugs will appear.

My suspicion, they used web Chrome remote desktop for "alpha testing" various tech used for Stadia.

BTW when it can connect, Chrome remote desktop is the best, visual and response wise. It beats VNC, RDP, especially with horrible internet. dunno with TeamViewer, didn't use it.

Only 12 Games available at launch, estimated another 14 available by 2020.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...e-on-google-stadia-in-time-for-nov-19-launch/

Only 12 games will be available on Google Stadia in time for Nov. 19 launch [Updated]
14 more by year's end, but some previously promised "launch" titles are not here yet.

A number of legacy titles that were previously promised as part of the Stadia "launch window" are currently not included in Google's list of 2019 Stadia releases. Those include:

yeah i still don't understand why it is not a streaming service like PSNow with just a monthly subscription to get access to a catalog of games.

Feels like it's a bit rushed content wise. How far away is Microsoft's Xcloud from launching?

Last edited:
The more I read about Stadia, the more I think it's just some form of clever joke that I just don't get.....

Google Stadia is November 19, 2019.

Microsoft xCloud is in "beta" now for some Xbox Insiders. I think they may be waiting to see how Stadia fairs before committing, but wouldn't be surprised if they end up more towards Q2 2020. I don't think they're saving it for NextGen launch or even for an E3 release announcement.

yeah i still don't understand why it is not a streaming service like PSNow with just a monthly subscription to get access to a catalog of games.
Well, maybe what Sony did with PS Now, available in many countries worldwide with hundred of games since years ago (and counting), was not some easy task to accomplish particular in a financially viable way ? Who knew ?

With all their promises and seemingly limitless resources and experience about Cloud services, Google Stadia offer is ridiculous and actually in some kind of Beta, Microsoft Xcloud still in beta. Both lagging way behind Sony with a simple cloud service. :LOL:

Back