Red Dead Redemption 2 [PC]

It's a rather bad port regarding performance i heard?

I played some online mode games and the frame rate was very low (20 ~ 30 FPS), but after an update it's now 60 fps full time. So I guess they fixed something.
I use the settings from GeForce Experience, running @4K using 2080 Ti.

Sweclockers ran their tests using the minimum and recommended requirements
https://www.sweclockers.com/test/28500-red-dead-redemption-2-sweclockers-utmanar-systemkraven

They say that the game seems to have an issue on 4C/4T CPUs, because the game has occasional stutters and sometimes halts completely for a while, and it happens on their i5 2500k but not the i7 2600k.

Their other test with various more cards
https://www.sweclockers.com/test/28501-snabbtest-grafikprestanda-i-red-dead-redemption-2

I played some online mode games and the frame rate was very low (20 ~ 30 FPS), but after an update it's now 60 fps full time. So I guess they fixed something.
I use the settings from GeForce Experience, running @4K using 2080 Ti.

Day one patches eh :p

i7 2600k (2011? had one), ancient cpu but it has 8 logical cores.

The interesting things is no DX11 support and Vulkan support because of Stadia. It will probably be the normal way to go with next generation consoles and Stadia. Vulkan can work on Windows 10 and 7, Linux, Stadia and Mac, very interesting.

Last edited:
Have they manged to get DX12 up to DX11 speeds when no DX12-only features are being used? That would seem to be a prerequisite to killing off DX11 in my book.
Who is "they" in this context?

Devs I guess ?

I often read that memory managment is a b**** with dx12 ? I guess it's a learning curve for devs too...

"They" would be the combination of Microsoft (optimizing DX12) and developers learning how to optimize their code for DX12. Either way, the graphical upgrades in DX12 do not yet, in many people's minds, justify the performance drop.

"They" would be the combination of Microsoft (optimizing DX12) and developers learning how to optimize their code for DX12. Either way, the graphical upgrades in DX12 do not yet, in many people's minds, justify the performance drop.

They will improve. From what a gamedev told me and twitter devs talking together, with Stadia and next-generation consoles we will see more and more DX12 and Vulkan for PC games.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/ea-and-visual-studios-linux-support/

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ah thanks. I was thinking you meant Ashes (I wasn’t sure what to search though) because of the benchmark.

It seems Gears Ultimate beat it to market when I was searching. :p
——

Anyways, will read in a bit. The main headache I can recall is the manual memory management or things taken for granted with Magic DX11 Drivers™.
Yea they made Ashes of the Singularity which is regarded as the first DX12 title though I guess maybe not? Maybe the demo was the first piece of DX12 software available for people to test with.

Yea they made Ashes of the Singularity which is regarded as the first DX12 title though I guess maybe not? Maybe the demo was the first piece of DX12 software available for people to test with.
My memory is a little swizzly about the timing of the early tests. :p

Anyhoo, given the roadmaps for hardware and silicon, it might be prudent for various folks to start dealing with the headaches sooner rather than later as they are going to be up against veteran multiplatform console devs who deal with it already. i.e. “what are your job skills”. idk how hiring works on there.

Just saying ( don’t mean to be condescending etc.)

The first FOV mod/tool for Red Dead Redemption 2 is finally available. This tool allows you to adjust your in-game FOV. This tool also removes black bars from the in-game cutscenes, cinematic cameras, shops and a number of other areas at 21:9 and wider resolutions.
Furthermore, it removes pillarboxing from the photo mode. Do note that this is a Cheat Engine script, so your anti-virus may falsely flag it. Rockstar does not officially support mods, so make sure to use this (and all other future mods) in the game’s single-player mode.
Otherwise, Rockstar may ban you. As its creator stated:
I’m not aware of reports of people getting banned over the use of Flawless Widescreen in GTA V, but use the tool provided here at own risk and ideally avoid playing RDR Online without restarting the game after applying the hack.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/...-redemption-2-ultrawide-multimonitor-fov-mod/

5 hours in, I'm not a fan. The art is good, voice acting too, but the UI is a mess imo, and the controls are not smooth either. Visuals are not that great... You have really nice "spots" mixed with 2010 textures and very blurry taa (and i'm playing with nearly everything at ultra level). I get the hype, but so many flaws...

5 hours in, I'm not a fan. The art is good, voice acting too, but the UI is a mess imo, and the controls are not smooth either. Visuals are not that great... You have really nice "spots" mixed with 2010 textures and very blurry taa (and i'm playing with nearly everything at ultra level). I get the hype, but so many flaws...

I'm playing at the moment too, probably around 40 hours in I'd guess. I do agree on the UI being quite tricky, but I've not had any issue with the controls and think the visuals are stunning. I'm curious which games you consider better looking?

Witcher 3 (with some custom ini/conf), mass effect andromeda, hell even fallout 4 with a custom conf/cfg (I just looked at my screenshot folder just to be sure).

In RDR2, you're face with very good looking "scene", but a blurry road or weak textures just in front of you, it's pretty weird. And if you disable TAA, it's better and really sharp, but you have some nasty visuals bug with some effects.

I can recognize that some effects are very well done, but it's very uneven in my book. But I don't want to start a "graphic" war or anything.

Back