Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still perplexed by the hideout campgrounds abysmal performance that carried over from the consoles. No matter if it's set for 30fps or 60fps, the act of traversing through the camps are sluggish and annoying. As if Arthur is lugging bricks around when entering the hideouts. Sometimes I just want to run to my damn horse Rockstar – not moonlight walk!

With all the the posts on reddit and other forums about the performances &bugs, I wonder if now is the right time to make this kind of videos. I wouldn't be surprised if we see massives gains in a few patchs...

Love the DF tech analysis, and comparing to the One X. Im wondering though, what settings are the base consoles running? The most powerfull console gets the most coverage and that's nice but the base consoles are what the most experience on console :)

It's quite a difference between the One x to the high (er) pc settings, all those small details together make the difference. The moon/GI is a feature that makes a big difference right away in special at night.

Last edited:

There's a patch that addresses performance on quad core cpu's as of today, meaning you won't need a 6 core or more at all. Makes sense as about any quad is faster then the jaguar found in consoles.

Why does he say the last decade hasn't been exciting? I don't think Star Wars has ever been played more often. In Battlefront 2 the servers are still very well filled after two years. Star Wars: The Old Republic also seems to be played by a lot of people. On the other hand, this game game here will hardly be played after a few months or even weeks. I don't know if I'm gonna buy it. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas.

Last edited:
I'm still perplexed by the hideout campgrounds abysmal performance that carried over from the consoles. No matter if it's set for 30fps or 60fps, the act of traversing through the camps are sluggish and annoying. As if Arthur is lugging bricks around when entering the hideouts. Sometimes I just want to run to my damn horse Rockstar – not moonlight walk!

Get used to this, the game will also prevent you from running in other mission-specific scenarios as well, along with removing other abilities. It can be very jarring.

Why does he say the last decade hasn't been exciting? I don't think Star Wars has ever been played more often. In Battlefront 2 the servers are still very well filled after two years. Star Wars: The Old Republic also seems to be played by a lot of people. On the other hand, this game game here will hardly be played after a few months or even weeks. I don't know if I'm gonna buy it. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas.

Is Eastenders better than the Godfather because the former is still on people's TV's across the UK?

Why aren't SW: Battlefront and Star Wars: The Old Republic exciting? I've been playing Star Wars games since the '90s and never played as much Star Wars as I have in the last decade. I think that goes for a lot of people. The epochs, mechanics, worlds, characters, music, dubbing voices of Battlefront 2 are also very good. I can confidently say that there has rarely been a better Star Wars game. In Fallen Order, the extreme Exophthalmos of one human character already frightens me off a bit. It looks like those eyes are about to pop out.

Get used to this, the game will also prevent you from running in other mission-specific scenarios as well, along with removing other abilities. It can be very jarring.

Yeah I know (completed on X). I was just hoping R* fixed that issue so that my second time around wasn't bogged down in poor camp traversal.

So did Digital Foundy have vsync on for all of those test? They switch from triple buffering to double buffering for part of it, but who ever uses triple buffering on PC? Vsync in itself is rare on pc. People tend to play vsync off with tearing. Also, would be interesting to see gsync/freesync tested for input lag. Or mouse and keyboard input lag vs controller.

So did Digital Foundy have vsync on for all of those test? They switch from triple buffering to double buffering for part of it, but who ever uses triple buffering on PC? Vsync in itself is rare on pc. People tend to play vsync off with tearing. Also, would be interesting to see gsync/freesync tested for input lag. Or mouse and keyboard input lag vs controller.

It was used because xbonex uses it too ? So they can compare lag in relation to fps only ? That's what I understand, maybe i'm wrong.

This is based on...? Of course people play with triple buffering, which is why there are utils to force it, and ime most games automatically engage it when you enable vsync. Games that employ hard double buffering are awful if you can't maintain 60fps entirely, hard drops to 30 then back to 60 is a world apart from just dropping to the mid 50's for a brief period.

If I had a 120hz or freesync display sure, I might go without vsync, but tearing is awful on 60hz displays. When it happens on console games, devs can mitigate it somewhat by restricting it to the upper portion of the display, but it's all over the play when it happens on the PC (unless you control it with RivaTuner's scanline sync, but then that requires sufficient GPU headroom, which defeats the point if you're just at the performance edge in a game).

Regarding the DF video, as a user on the ResetEra forums pointed out, the biggest difference from their experience was the input lag when just moving the viewport, which doesn't involve any animation. Supposedly the PC version is much better in this regard, but DF didn't test just moving the camera which is an oversight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back