Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dang, switch doing some really neat graphics!

This looks so good. I find it more impressive than Ratchet and Clank or Kingdom heart 3 on PS4. It reminds me a lot of TO 1886 which was craft so well it was difficult to find something bad in the rendering with a very linear game and a scope not as big as open-world or wide linear game. Here the scope is not the biggest one but it looks good and the art, physics and animation blend so well.

Last edited:
This looks so good. I find it more impressive than Ratchet and Clank or Kingdom heart 3 on PS4. It reminds me a lot of TO 1886 which was craft so well it was difficult to find something bad in the rendering with a very linear game and a scope not as big as open-world or wide linear game. Here the scope is not the biggest one but it looks good and the art, physics and animation blend so well.
Thats what I noiticed too and was commenting to afrienad the other day. The art style and use of lighting makes the game equally pleasing to games on more modern hardware

If you don't have much on screen, you can spend all of your rendering budget on the few things that are actually on screen. Looking at what's been shown it looks good but when looking at it in context, it's not particularly impressive compared to something like RDR2 which has so much more in each scene.

I agree, but if you look at an even broader context, it's a game developed only in few years and with a small team. So the final result is rather impressive in terms of productivity.

I think you're going way too far... Ratchet and Clank looks much better than this :

'Better' is subjective fer cryin' out loud! Please, this is B3D and you've all been here long enough to know not to argue pointlessly about subjective opinions. If you want to compare and contrast games, do so with some reference to the technologies and techniques and artistry on display. If you just want to say you prefer the look of a game, you can, but don't go arguing that someone's personal preference is different to your own.

'Better' is subjective fer cryin' out loud! Please, this is B3D and you've all been here long enough to know not to argue pointlessly about subjective opinions. If you want to compare and contrast games, do so with some reference to the technologies and techniques and artistry on display. If you just want to say you prefer the look of a game, you can, but don't go arguing that someone's personal preference is different to your own.

It is a personal preference. I hope we will see game with this artstyle on next generation 4k at 4k 30 or 60 fps. It would look great.

After Ratchet and Clank is rumored to be one of the first PS5 games. I will probably change my mind.

Last edited:

It looks good, for a switch game. But it is nothing special vs ps4 games.

It could look even better on faster hardware, but it hides switches limitations pretty ok

Imo it looks good because most of the switch games look like trash (res& details) so contrast is bigger than when comparing ps4 game to another good looking ps4 game.

To me more interesting thing is that devs should do more games like this or old school ports like ghostbusters.

Because these kind of games hide the weaknesses better, instead of trying to make games like witcher 3 to run on it = they just look too gimped and ugly

Old games or simpler graphics Look better than low res "modern" games on switch

Cartoon-y art directions just naturally lend themselves well to approximating CG. The Ratchet & Clank games on the PS2, PS3, and PS4 have been my personal barometer over the last few generations. Luigi's Mansion 3 looks to sit somewhere between PS3 and PS4 Ratchet & Clank. Which is exactly what I'd expect.

Not to decry it. It looks great and the interactivity of the environment is something I'd like more games to lean into - The Order 1886, for example, is still one of my favourite looking games this generation, but its environments were so bloody static that there were odd blips of discordance between how real it looked and how fake it felt.

And if the Switch's shitty smartphone CPU can pull that off, there's presumably scope for the shitty laptop CPU's of the PS4 & XB1 to cope.

Nothing much to say here.
Just a few dips on cutscenes and one mirror that drops 5 fps. But the Pro in 1080p output renders the game in 1080p instead of downsampling, which remover all the dips and makes the framerate flawlessly.

Same story as with HZD then, which is a good thing. Going to go for the pc version later on, don't feel much for SP gaming right now anyway.

So essentially the X1X is running a mixture of Low and Medium and few High PC settings .. a 580 can barely hit 4K30 though using that mixture. DF is still experimenting with PC settings to find the exact equivalent to X1X.

So essentially the X1X is running a mixture of Low and Medium and few High PC settings .. a 580 can barely hit 4K30 though using that mixture.

The One X seems very close to a RX580 indeed, a very powerfull console for it's time. RDR2 must be quite taxing if it's running rather low settings on the one x.

So essentially the X1X is running a mixture of Low and Medium and few High PC settings .. a 580 can barely hit 4K30 though using that mixture. DF is still experimenting with PC settings to find the exact equivalent to X1X.

The X has more bandwidth. Maybe thats the bottleneck for the 580.

I theorize the 580 is currently running some options higher than the X1X. DF needs to precisely calibrate the settings to achieve like for like comparison, instead of eyeballing them.

Remember, the X1X is running the game with some options below the lowest PC settings.
We also don’t know how much CPU might be affecting the options here. It’s one thing to be comparative to a 580; it may be another to lack the CPU to do some pre-processing. Not trying to defend X1X; just thinking out loud on this one; why some options might be; below low. Like how we saw massive frame rate swings when moving to the Ryzen processor. Extrapolate that backwards to jaguar and perhaps some things had to be changed to keep it locked 30.

Last edited:
It could be as simple as bandwidth and cache configuration allowing XBX to maintain a more stable frame rate. Or perhaps just a bit more tweaking to get 580 up to the task. They are pretty comparable, though.

I theorize the 580 is currently running some options higher than the X1X. DF needs to precisely calibrate the settings to achieve like for like comparison, instead of eyeballing them.

Remember, the X1X is running the game with some options below the lowest PC settings.
Yeah we have that in our end game video/article. Precise to the point of absurdity.

Also, according to the game config... async compute is default off. That would have affected RIch's performance there.

Rockstar hands over the new and enhanced RAGE engine to the PC userbase with its new port of Red Dead Redemption 2. But where do you start to tweak a game with this level of settings tweaking options? Alex delivers a detailed breakdown of EVERY setting in the game, along with the settings equivalent used in the Xbox One X version of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back