Next-gen software and services *spawn

Maybe we'll have PS5-optimized PS4 games?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-had-to-make-changes-to-deliver-our-ps5-dream
"These are gamers who are networked and sticky and engaged and passionate about PlayStation to an extent that we've not seen in previous generations. As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before.

"One thing that makes me particularly optimistic that what we're hearing from developers and publishers, is the ease in which they are able to get code running on PlayStation 5 is way beyond any experience they've had on any other PlayStation platform."

"If we are to be successful, we really have to leverage the opportunities that globalisation brings. I am going to give you some examples. One is around the productization of PlayStation 5, the definition of the feature set, of the development and the implementation of those features. That process, this time around, has been massively more streamlined compared to anything we've done in the past. The product planners are now having one conversation instead of three different regional conversations, where they needed to reconcile positions that were often conflicting or contradictory, with an endless process of iteration and consensus. That's not happening anymore. We have one conversation and we get on and do stuff.

I dont see why not
Well for starters, because Sony will lose all that sweet money from selling double-dipping remasters like they did in the PS3 -> PS4 transition.
Though I recon losing that money is a necessity if they really want to transition as many PS4 owners as possible.

Well for starters, because Sony will lose all that sweet money from selling double-dipping remasters like they did in the PS3 -> PS4 transition.
Though I recon losing that money is a necessity if they really want to transition as many PS4 owners as possible.

I can picture Sony charging for HQ texture packs and additional DLC on improving prior generation games. But not so much on post-processing IQ enhancements and higher resolutions.

I'd be happy if PS5 simply upres all PS4 games to native 4k, it shouldn't be that hard to do should it?
Depends if some games still use pixel count as reference for text size, like many did some years ago.

Another way to look at this is that Sony can now invest that money into making new games. I can see why Sony remastered Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us; for those folks who went the 360 route lastgen but whom Sony didn't want to feel couldn't delve into Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us 2 this gen without having played the earlier installment(s).

For those who played U1-3 and TLoU on PS3 and didn't feel there was value in replaying them, you see no second sales. That's the the potential risk with remaking the same game and hoping people buy it again - some people just don't replay games.

If you think about it, the consoles are now going to be more akin to phone upgrades in the sense that the development kit and development ecosystem stays the same. There shouldn't be much of a learning curve. There was usually a learning curve that lead to late-gen titles looking vastly better than launch titles. This time around, that gap should be closer. I'm guessing the OS on the new consoles will be very similar to the OS on PS4/X1.

Another way to look at this is that Sony can now invest that money into making new games. I can see why Sony remastered Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us; for those folks who went the 360 route lastgen but whom Sony didn't want to feel couldn't delve into Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us 2 this gen without having played the earlier installment(s).

For those who played U1-3 and TLoU on PS3 and didn't feel there was value in replaying them, you see no second sales. That's the the potential risk with remaking the same game and hoping people buy it again - some people just don't replay games.

The investment needed to make a remaster instead of a new game is on a whole different order of magnitude, though.

The investment needed to make a remaster instead of a new game is on a whole different order of magnitude, though.
Like for like yes, but it depends on the scope of the new game and the scope of the remaster. Whatever money you invest in a remaster is money you are not investing in something new, so lets see what Bluepoint produce for PS5.

Like for like yes, but it depends on the scope of the new game and the scope of the remaster. Whatever money you invest in a remaster is money you are not investing in something new, so lets see what Bluepoint produce for PS5.

Not necessarily true. You can use your remaster as a start off point for all future development on the new hardware.

You new title can start off in a more mature dev environment because your devs have a better understanding of the hardware and the software that runs on it because they already have a port under their belt.

Depends if some games still use pixel count as reference for text size, like many did some years ago.
Yeah, IIRC, PS4 just has the default dual display planes (system plus app).* On the other hand, I don't think anyone really talks about utilization of the extra plane on XO. Either way, both companies would face more challenges than what MS had to do for 360 enchantment with the more complex pipelines.

*Also just one of the things I wonder about when folks are going on about PS4 Porta

I'm guessing the OS on the new consoles will be very similar to the OS on PS4/X1.

*internal screaming*

From a design/layout point of view.

The latest UI design for Xbox feels like a censor for my backgrounds/wallpaper while the number of button presses to go between sections is unacceptable as the selection goes through the icons on each page instead because it's up/down. The triggers should be replacing the function of the tab/page switching of the bumpers from the previous design.

Last edited:
Not necessarily true. You can use your remaster as a start off point for all future development on the new hardware.

Which is what Naughty Dog did with The Last of Us Remastered on PS4. Then Bluepoint took Naughty Dog's repurposed PS3 engine and took just fifteen months to remaster three Uncharted games for PS4. Like-for-like, there is no way that 48 engineers (at peak) could have produced three AAA games for PS4 in that timeframe..

For a remaster there is a lot of technical engineering and revisiting original game assets, but you're not going through that indeterminate researching, creating, testing, binning and re-creating game mechanics, game balance and game maps. That's all a done deal. That is why, whichever way you cut it, a remaster is faster/cheaper than producing a new game. That's what is meant by like-for-like.

Last edited by a moderator:
True. But Sony is Sony....

Exactly, and Sony already learned that hurting their reputation at the start of a generation can bring massive damage to long-term adoption rates.
Which is why they risked absolutely nothing and launched the product everyone wanted them to launch back in 2013.

No always-online, no mandatory peripherals, 100% focus on gaming and free trade / borrowing of physical copies. Expect the PS5 to follow these same guidelines, and whatever else they can do to put them in a good light (like e.g. implementing family share of digital games for example).

Back